Sign in to follow this  
Viper

not ASD related, Ironing.

Hi,

Sorry to post this, but who does the ironing in your house? I have 2 teenage girls, 1, 17 NT and one 14 AS. I also have 1 11yro girl and Ben, not to mention my DH and I do all the ironing.

I have decided today that I am not doing my teenage DD's any more, they are old enough to do their own. Do you think this is reasonable? My eldest DD would rather wear creased clothes than do her own ironing but AS dd would do her own under protest if she had to.

Up until today I have done it because it is easier than seeing my DD go out all wrinkled and to listen to my 14 yro you would think I was the worst mother ever to walk the earth. But I have trouble with my shoulder and find it physically painful to do so much. DH does his own sometimes, but on a daily basis.

What do you all think?

Viper.

:tearful: I hate ironing, only me does it in my house, end up agravating a back problem, been so tempted to get it done for me, there are several ironing businesses opening up near where I live

I think its reasonable once they are old enough for them to do their own, part of becoming independaant, just sometimes wish my partner would do his own.

Edited by lil_me

I actually find ironing very stress relieving I'm not sure why, but I do.

That said I refussed to do 13 year old sons a while back as I had enougth of ironing it then finding it screwed up on the floor or on his bed.

Both daughters 11 and 8 like to do their own, though 8 year old often needs it to be re-done afterwards.

Henry keeps asking but at 5 obviously can't even reach the ironing board.

I hate it too viper.No quicker have you washed and ironed there is another pile of ironing waiting.I agree with you also at the teenage stage it is good practice for them to do their own.Also it may help them keep clothes clean for longer rather than the two three hours that it is in our house.

lol :lol:

I actually find ironing very stress relieving I'm not sure why, but I do.

Do you fancy doing some more :lol: Joke of course

When my 2 were tiny I loved ironing everything, from their nappies and sheets to all the tiny clothes, but now its finding the time then I have to rush through it, got a burn on my hand to prove it off this weeks dashing around :tearful:

Edited by lil_me

'Ironing...who does it?'

Answer: in our house, no one!! :lol:

I have discovered that if you hang things up carefully, and then fold them very carefully after they are dry, that practically nothing actually needs ironing! :thumbs::dance:

There are a very few items that really do need ironing, and I do iron things for a posh event, but other than that...no! Life is too short and too busy with 4 children!

You'll have to ask Kathryn whether or not I look crumpled! :devil::lol:

Bid :devil:

And, I've also discovered that if you put men's work shirts on a hanger to dry, they don't need any ironing either :thumbs:

Me and I hate it! LOL but there's no-one else here to do it for me!! *Sigh*!!

I only iron as I need em so usually I iron in the morning for my son and I and that's it. I find that if I iron in bulk, I only have to redo em all again when we go to wear them! LOL

.Also it may help them keep clothes clean for longer rather than the two three hours that it is in our house.

lol :lol:

No Jamie just doesn't put clean clothes on, unless I steal the dirty ones from his room while he is out

I agree with Bid, I always used to bring the washing in and dump it on the existing pile of ironing !

Then I realised that if I spent a couple of minutes folding / hanging stuff, then there wasn't much left. It's only taken me 20 odd years to work that out :lol:

I've decided that once the kids reach teenage, they're doing their own !

To be honest, after being left on the end of the bed for days on end, the ironed clothes look worse than before I bothered ironing them :wallbash:

wac

I've stopped bulk ironing and do buy easy iron clothes so most don't need it, just the kids uniforms etc. I also have a function on the tmble drier (bought a new one and the lesser half calls it a space shuttle it does so much) which reduces the need to iron. :tearful: But the lesser half just brought home a new uniform for work which includes shirts and I know who will end up ironing them :tearful:

I blame the person who invented ironing in the first place. If no one ironed clothes then it wouldn't matter. :lol:

Viper.

Kathryn's handy household hint: Always iron a garment before you put it on - otherwise you might burn yourself. ;)

You'll have to ask Kathryn whether or not I look crumpled! :devil:  :lol:

Take my word for it, never seen Bid looking crumpled, creased or anything less than immaculately turned out. :lol:;)

I only iron properly for two weeks of the year - during Wimbledon. This offsets my guilt at watching telly in the middle of the day. The rest of the year I iron the occasional garment just before it's worn, otherwise I don't bother. I loved those crinkly tops and skirts that were in fashion this summer, you twist them when they're wet and when they dry they have that "just picked up off the floor" look. A godsend for busy working people.

I'm in the 'no ironing' camp. I tumble dry everything (not very eco-friendly, I know) in managable loads so that I just give 'em a shake and hang/fold them. There are a few items I need to iron, like jumpers with transfers on etc, but I probably only do about four items a week.

I used to enjoy ironing years ago - would pour myself a glass of something red and play some dancy music and make a thing of it - but since I've had ME I can't stand up for long enough and it aches my arms (and I DEFINITELY can't do the dancing!), so I ditched it in favour of using my energy on better things.

Karen

x

I know one mum with three boys, on their 13 birthday they got an ironing board and iron for their rooms!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

My mum never did my ironing either. We had to change our beds put our laundry in the laundry bin. In the school hols we had to clean a room in the house 1x week, cook a meal 1x week. And we could work for my dad for money!

I still do 19yr sons ironing though, but he does cook dinner if I'm late from work.

I am a firm believer in the careful folding, my airing cupboard is a tribute to the art of origami!!Love kat

Hi,

I have to confess, i sometimes leave a pile of ironing on the table when my mum is baby sitting. She takes pity on me and does it! :devil:

Loulou x

Guest flutter

i iron but i hate it :(:(

then what i hate even more is when kids put theirs away ever so nicely Shoved at bottom of wardrobe

i cnat use tumble dryer much cos they al tell me i shrink their clothes

I have "the Iron Lady" who saves my life (and the ironing) every week. She's a complete star and without her me and mine would be very crumpled.

It's not safe to iron in my house as my youngest doesn't understand the safety rules around irons. He thinks it's fun to jiggle the ironing board, or gets too close and no amount of reminding helps.

I was doing the ironing after 9 pm at night when he'd gone to bed. My DH found the Iron Lady and takes the ironing to her every week.

:wub:

I haven't ironed for 8 years and proud!!!!

I sold everything I owned after my husband died and converted a 44 seat coach into a home and travelled around with my tribe ... I know I was a bit barking at the time but hey ho!!! Up until that point I had ironed for as long as I could remember, I think it started with tea-towels at age 7 and then a gradual progression on from there. When considering a life living on a bus, I took into consideration the fact that I didn't think it was necessary to be ironing on a bus, getting washing done was difficult enough :bat:

But back in the real world (a house that is) I never returned to the ironing ideology ... its all in the folding, shaking etc ... I am extremely fussy, we never looked unironed and if anyone wants anything ironed they know where the iron (that doesn't work very well) is! There is a knack to it, and life without ironing is so much better.

HHxx

Hi,

Sorry to post this, but who does the ironing in your house? I have 2 teenage girls, 1, 17 NT and one 14 AS. I also have 1 11yro girl and Ben, not to mention my DH and I do all the ironing.

I have decided today that I am not doing my teenage DD's any more, they are old enough to do their own. Do you think this is reasonable? My eldest DD would rather wear creased clothes than do her own ironing but AS dd would do her own under protest if she had to.

Up until today I have done it because it is easier than seeing my DD go out all wrinkled and to listen to my 14 yro you would think I was the worst mother ever to walk the earth. But I have trouble with my shoulder and find it physically painful to do so much. DH does his own sometimes, but on a daily basis.

What do you all think?

Viper.

just think you self lucky to be able to do the ironing i use to love to do the ironing the lovely smell it is so relaking so dont think to badley of you children just think you self lucky and then mybe it wont be so bad life is ups and downs but as long as you all together thats all thats matters all the best jill

I,m with Bid, fold carefully , but then I leave it on the computer chair, so that when I,m here with you krismites Iam in fact squashing my washing into nice flat piles B) .Of course it helps if your bum is big :devil: .

Tumble dry and fold. Then give it to them to crumple up and put in their drawers!

Only iron for that day and only bulk ironing is on a Sunday for Monday (school uniforms and hubby's shirts) but we all do it, even the teens, especially when my arthritis is playing up.

Daisy

wow my dad will never believe that i have found so many others like me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He says if you want to hide any money from me to put it under the Iron as i never look there!!!! :whistle:

I hate it, the only time the iron comes out in our house is on a sunday and even then the kids have to take turns to iron their school uniforms and my partner irons his own cloths!!!

My excuse for not ironing is that i buy crease free cloths..............and if they get crease i blame the kids for not hanging them up.............. works every time! :devil:

Karen

I just hang things in the wardrobe and iron in the mornings if needed. my 13 yr old dd has looked crumpled for the past 3 years....she is big enough to do her own but never does it.

My 10 yr old does some of her ironing, only a few items but she does do it quite well. She is supervised through out though.

Never know she may take the whole lot over one day lol

I hate ironing with a passion! :lol: