Cariad

What activities do your kids go to?

Well so far i've got Toby into Trampolining for Special needs. I now have a social worker who comes on a thursday for 3 hours a day for Toby. In the past few weeks they have gone Bowling and Mcdonalds and to see the DR Who Display in Cardiff.

So tonight i took him to Scouts, he hated it, the boys wereloud and big and he couldn't cope, the games were complicated and he felt out of his depth. I'm so dissapointed :crying: .

Now i'm left looking for him to do some kind of Activity. What do your children attend? What can you suggest?

Hi

Im afraid to say NONE :crying: There is no way i could see K doing anything other than school out of our sight. He wont even go to his nana's anymore for his sleepover. Sorry i cant suggest anything >:D<<'>

shaz

x

Cariad

I'm sorry can't suggest any ideas but I wanted to send you lots of >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> because I've been through exactly the same. My son tried cubs, scouts, swimming, drama, after school club and lately cadets and in all these groups he hated the noise, the activities and being with other children. He doesn't go anywhere except school and he says that he likes being at home and nowhere else. The only place he accepts ging to is our local support group for aspergers children because he is not forced to participate in group activities and the social interaction with others is on his terms. Is there any such group where you live?

Curra

this is also problem i have but have just applied for friends for lesiure,which run activitys for disabled children or should i say help get them involved-not quite sure yet as not had appointment yet.

i tryed sunday school he went once then hated it he will sit with me through church service but i cant see him going to try the sunday school again.

its such a shame im sure they would like these things if they had the chance to be introduced to activitys really slowly but that never seems available to do.

theres also disabled swimming at my leisure centre which is in evening which i may take him to and try-but once hes with strangers he kicks off,anyway im going try,see what happens.

i tryed the cinema it lasted 10 mins into film and that was it had to go.

but the trampolining sounds good-my son tryed this on a holiday last year-not sure if they have it where i live,and it always comes down to fact of dealing with strangers-i have to be with him most of time.

Edited by rainbow queen

My son goes to a swimming weekly with a group called Intergrating Children, great charity but are struggling for funding :(

Over school holidays I have been tryng my best to afford for him to attend a play scheme ran by a special needs school but it is ?17.50 a day + petrol 30 miles so I am starting to struggle with that, going to try for direct payments

Edited by lil_me

Martin started Tae Kwondo last September and loves it to bits. He's already got his yellow tag and is taking his next test hopefully to get his yellow belt at the end of this month.

It's very disciplined and helps release a lot of his aggression. Because all the moves are very regular and follow a pattern he feels very comfortable with it. It's not like Judo - there's not the same close body contact - and he's doing really well :D

And.......... its certainly not loud ......... there's a few Korean commands thrown about but most of the time all they say it CHIPS .. well that's what it sounds like when they make the moves!

Daisy

Well so far i've got Toby into Trampolining for Special needs. I now have a social worker who comes on a thursday for 3 hours a day for Toby. In the past few weeks they have gone Bowling and Mcdonalds and to see the DR Who Display in Cardiff.

So tonight i took him to Scouts, he hated it, the boys wereloud and big and he couldn't cope, the games were complicated and he felt out of his depth. I'm so dissapointed :crying: .

Now i'm left looking for him to do some kind of Activity. What do your children attend? What can you suggest?

How about horse riding?

It's a quiet type hobby and helps to gain better balance/coordination,equestrian centres usually have classes specifically for SN kids.

lil-me,

slightly off topic, but there's lots of good funding sources available. Does your group have a 'guide to funding' type book giving local and national sources ?

I have one for our area that has lots of national schemes in it.

PM me if I can help,

wac

None whatsoever, anything he does, I have to be with him, and as I have another two kids as well, that becomes difficult. I do take him swimming etc, but that is as a family, it isn't an after school activity or such.

Saying that, he doesn't want to, but then that is problably more because school is difficult enough and he just wants to be with his mum at home...

There is absolutely nothing in this area for disabled children.

My friend's son (10 years old, AS) has recently joined the sea cadets and loves it, apparently. They do a lot of marching which he especially enjoys.

I tear my hair out with this kind of thing, all he wants to do is stay at home, he doesn't want to try anything.

We had been making him go to cubs and Dad stayed as one of the helpers and when he was there he had a great time, very happy BUT the lead up to it and if you asked him he would say he hated it, didn't want to go etc. We have just decided to stop making him go as it is draining on him and us.

I know that if he would give some things a try he might like them, but even at weekends he gets upset if we have to go out and has major tantrums over it. He wont stay with anyone other than me and Dad (when his nan has him after school twice a week (for an hour and a half)he has major abdabs that he hates her etc).

He wont stay at a friends house for even ten mins without us. It concerns me because he doesn't want to do anything.

He has been screaming and in tears today because I mentioned that I have just booked the summer holiday in wales, (in our own cottage near the sea with a garden). He is off school today because he is poorly but it is always the same.

I despair that he is becoming Agrophobic. I know he has an ASD but I find it unusual that he doesn't want to do anything except stay in the house(computer,playfighting with Dad, T.v,toys).I don't think it is healthy and it upsets me because I can't find a common ground with him, except Pokemon stickers for his album at the mo. Sorry if this posting seems disjointed but I really am questioning if it is something Me and Hubby are doing wrong!!

P goes to a small gym club after school (only about 6 other kids). As it is in school he doesnt have to travel for it and it just melds in from the end of the school day. Even then though he'll go ballistic if anyone pushes in line in front of him. I also make him go to a drama class with his sisters. They're very good with him and the discipline is good. He hates getting ready and travelling there but loves it when he's actually in there. He's (oddly for ASD) an "experience junkie" and is always wanting to try new things....what he cant do is stick with anything beyond a couple of weeks. his concentration levels just aren't up to it. we do swimming crash courses for a week in the Summer and he can just about manage that before he really goes off it.

Sorry, can't really give you an answer but i did feel relieved that the other kids are the same as M and like to stay indoors.

M goes to one after school club which he goes to purely because he had the teacher as his class teacher last year otherwise he wouldn't go.

We did try swimming but he couldn't cope with the change of children in the new term and after he hit the teacher I decided enough was enough.

I have just put M's name down to attend a SN club on a Saturday and during the hols.

Other than that he hates going out and would be happy if we stayed in forever! :wacko:

mum22boys

My daughter of 12yrs attends none.

No sporting activities - as she hates PE with a vengence - luckily had this removed from her school lessons as it was causing so much anxieties.

Tried Brownies - lasted two evenings. A form of Karate which she went for about 6 weeks (the longest ever!!!!) - until someone said something that she took as a personal attack and refused to go again.

She can't ride a bike or rollerskate (really poor co-ordination). Only just learnt how to swim.

She does occasionally (when she's well or feels like it) attend a local chapel/church youth group - mainly because there's a few boys that go (the very quiet type who happen to love PC/consoles etc) that she's often had conversations with about the PC/consoles etc.

lil-me,

slightly off topic, but there's lots of good funding sources available. Does your group have a 'guide to funding' type book giving local and national sources ?

I have one for our area that has lots of national schemes in it.

PM me if I can help,

wac

If you have details of this then please send me them, I don't know if they have it but can take it to the next committee meeting.

Cariad

Wish I had some ideas for you - but I've lost count of the amount of money I've lost in pre-paid lessons for things he gave up after 2 weeks. I'd love my DS to do classes or social activities - but he just finds it too hard, and we've given up suggesting things.

My son just goes to football club after school. It's small groups and lots of adults. He did used to go to judo but we moved away and it was too far to go to a club - but that suited him well.