Malika

Little LEA story....

Hi to all, :)

Yesterday I met a child parent from H school as we were talking he explain to me that is son is dyslexic and he went to the LEA office asking to see somebody in charge of statutory assesment there, A woman there asked him what he wanted and went inside the office the child father just followed her at the door but she did not realised it, and that what she said.... :P

" X somebody wants to see you."

"who is it?" said the other LEA

First Lea "One of those stupid parents who wants to ask an assesment for his son" ... "and he is black as well"

The parent steped in the room and just say

"I am the stupid parent who wants an assesment for my son" :devil:

just the time to see them swallowing their giggle :devil: and then he went, the same evening he sent around 5 faxes to councillors MP and LEA chiefs... within weeks his son had his assessment done and soon after a statement. :thumbs:

I wish they would do this to me.... :D

Malika.

That'll teach them to not ask the parent to 'take a seat'.
:thumbs:

Bad mannered aren't they. :lol::lol::lol:

Last year after the EP ( you know what I really really hate her) did some test with H we had a meeting with the EP and the SENCO I went there with one of my friend who parents are asian but was born here and educated here (master and PHD in language and communication) the weather was awrful and after some comment about the weather the EP parted with the SENCO on one side of the table opposit to us and said "You can understand now why we English always talk about the weather"

and I answered " well I have seen this from people in about every country I went to" :P:devil:

Malika.

This is SO unbelievable...actually it isn't all that unbelievable and thats whats SO awful! :(

:crying:

Im really glad he got the statement but what an enormous price he paid. :(

redberry

LEA officials displaying contempt, prejudice and stupidity? Surely not!! :wacko::o

I'm glad the father got the statement in the end. The LEA officials were lucky to have escaped so lightly - assuming they kept their jobs.

I'm glad the father got the statement in the end. The LEA officials were lucky to have escaped so lightly - assuming they kept their jobs.

I certainly hope that they did not - but bet that they did :( The words ignorant, arrogant and intolerable spring to mind. OK so this guy got what he wanted but did he really need to be talked about in such a disgusting manner. It's made me feel :sick:

Carole

Next time I'll see him I have to ask him about those people but I am nearly sure of the answer, they probably kept their job. :wacko:

However I was wondering why, :unsure: when I tried to go to the SEN LEA office (offices on the 3rd floor if I remember) last year to ask about statutory assesment I had been stopped by people working at the reception desk asking me to sit downstairs and to wait there until somebody would come to see me, :ph34r: eventualy somebody from the SEN department came downstair and talk to me downstair in the public area :angry: without even inviting me to their office upstair, while I am sure that people advising me to go there told me to go upstair.

Just wondering if that was a kind of new policy following the blunder!!????? :devil:

Mrs SEN LEA who talk to me then refered to something like having an appointment before being allowed upstairs... :shame:

Nice to put 2 and 2 toghether..... ;) ashame for me in matter of missed oportunity ;):lol::lol::lol:

Malika.

Totally unacceptable! But it doesn't surprise me.

The other day in the staff room:

Teacher A : What's the name of that student who's got Asperger syndrome and is always talking about making a video?

Teacher B: You mean "Barmy Williams?"

All laughed.

I didn't because it annoyed me. :angry:

People who work in education should show respect at all times, or not? This student is very creative and it saddens me that some teachers have such an opinion of him. It makes me wonder what nickname my son has at his school...

Curra

Totally unacceptable! But it doesn't surprise me.

The other day in the staff room:

Teacher A : What's the name of that student who's got Asperger syndrome and is always talking about making a video?

Teacher B: You mean "Barmy Williams?"

All laughed.

I didn't because it annoyed me. :angry:

People who work in education should show respect at all times, or not? This student is very creative and it saddens me that some teachers have such an opinion of him. It makes me wonder what nickname my son has at his school...

Curra

Dont know if its just because Im feeling v. sensitive today but this made me cry.

There seems to be a lot of nastiness around and I just don't think its acceptable. Too many vunerable children/grown ups at the mercy of barbed negative attitudes. I feel really sad.

redberry

Malika was this the same authority that you posted a link to regarding their treatment of a man with Aspergers and his failure to get a job. If it was obviously they totally embrace the whole ethos of disabilities. I think they have probably given advice to my authority as well.

I think you only have to dip into the TES website occasionally to see how some teachers view the children with sen. There was a classic one once from a teacher asking for advice re her yr. 1 sen group who she referred to charmingly as the little thickies. :(

I think it might have been Phas :) . I can't remember whether I actually posted anything on that particular thread they all scare me a bit over there

This is just totally unacceptable, people on the spectrum like myself do not refer to others on or off the spectrum with the same treatment that sometimes we are expected to put up with.

Some teachers can be -for educated people quite ignorant in the way they handle themselves, this brings to mind one of the videos that I have on my forum in which Jackie Jackson mentions, the teacher responsible for Luke states , I know that your son has autism Mrs Jackson, but as far as I am concerned he leaves it on the door step when he comes into my classroom, with comments like this what hope is there to bring awareness- I find in all honesty comments like this give me more incentive to push awareness home even harder and further.

Steve..

I think the boy means well but he is distinctly inclined to be inattentive......

Tutor of Winston Churchill to Lord Randolph Churchill,

Winston's father

Our LEA Head Office has high security - cameras and guards - I wonder why?

When I went there to support a friend, we were supposed to have the meeting in a downstairs conference room, but there were none free, so we were taken to the lady's office - past the offices of all the people I had grown to love (ha ha)!

Karen

Hi to all.

Yes LKS it was the same authority it just fall well into line with the rest. :wacko:

I decided to put the link again for the one who have missed it.

http://www.ealingtimes.co.uk/display.var.6...ndmark_case.php

I think somehow they certainly advice each other in how to get rid of the "morons" who dare to disturb them in their prejudice and even worst ask them to produce some work instead of drinking tea and chating about how annoying parents are. B)

It is the borough which collected in the last 4 years

the worst street lighting (for London)

one of the worst rubish collecting and recycling

0 rating for social services (after audit commission)

and been qualified as one of the worst borough for employement of ethnic minorities.(after audit commission)

I have no more in mind but I am sure something else will come. I know I can trust them if you see what I mean. :lol::lol::lol:

Malika.

Our LEA Head Office has high security - cameras and guards - I wonder why?

Do you really??!! :lol::lol::lol: just to show how they work closely with parents................ :fight:

Malika.

I was reading some information from our LEA please note what they write.

School information on requests for statementing

22. Parents accept the LEA?s decision in the vast majority of cases where the LEA

decides not to assess a child following the parent?s request for a statutory assessment. However, some parents will exercise their right to appeal to the SEN and Disability Tribunal (SENDIST) against the LEA?s decision. If the LEA chooses to defend its decision then, along with other evidence, it will rely on the

information you have provided with this form to make its case.

In general the LEA does not appear at hearings for appeals of this type.

Instead we rely on a written submission which sets out the evidence and the

reasons for our decision. In a very small number of cases where unusual

circumstances exist, the LEA may choose to appear at the hearing. In these

cases the LEA would normally ask the Head Teacher or SENCO to appear as

Jen