Where the Bloody Hell are you  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find this ad offensive?

• Yes
    • No

Guest hallyscomet

Hi,

Do you remember the ad I posted

"Where the ###### are you" apparently it has been banned over there because of the word "######"

http://www.wherethebloodyhellareyou.com/

So it will be launched over there next week but without the word "######"

Do you find this offensive, just wondering.

My thought is most comedy shows and movies say a lot worse than ######.

What do you think

Hi Hailey,

I tried to vote 'no' but it wouldn't let me - have they left 'hell' in or is that out too. Oh they're a funny bunch over here, there was a piece in the paper last week about a bloke who said "sweet FA" to his friend on his mobile and got fined ?80 by a policeman!

His friend had asked him what he was doing and he said "Sweet F**k All" - copper overheard it and fined him :o

Talk about Police State.

Guest hallyscomet

Hi Daisy

I was having trouble too, I might PM Kris as see if he can fix it more me :(

Hailey

I personally don't find it offensive but I wouldn't want my kids saying "######" I think it would be ok to show after the 9PM watershed. On the other hand there are quite a few mild swear words creeping into soaps lately so I think it might be the combination of words that is the problem. ###### on it's own or Hell on it's own are just common everyday words but put together they may offend some people and as I said I wouldn't want my kids repeating it, it's just something you don't want kids to say.

We don't use the word and wouldn't want J to hear it used. I often turn off shows cos of the swearing ... it's not necessary to the storyline - I haven't noticed shows like ER and CSI needing it ...

Perhaps I'm old fashioned ?

I really don't find these words or the context in which they were used offensive atall.

I'm sure we have all used them or worse on a bad day!

I really don't find these words or the context in which they were used offensive atall.

I'm sure we have all used them or worse on a bad day!

Yes, but my kids have never heard me swear.

Hi Hailey,

I personally wouldn't find it offensive, but this is the sort of thing my son would pick up on

and repeatedly say it! so I agree that the word shouldn't be shown for that reason.

I saw this on the news pages:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4789650.stm

I voted 'no' in your poll, because I wouldnt find it offensive, but wouldn't want my son seeing it.

Brook :)

Edited by Brook

I dont find it offensive and i wouldnt be bothered about my kids seeing it.I wouldnt have been bothered when they were younger either.

Off track a bit.But today on a tv show they said a shop had been asked to remove a tshirt from its window display because it said "egg and sperm race i won" Apparently it was offensive and not allowed to be displayed in a shop window.

Excuse me but every time i go into a shop or newsagents anywhere that sells magazenes with my kids i have top shelve magazenes in my face saying alsorts on the front,with naked women on them.This is offensive but apparently no one bothers over this.

It seams in this world its one rule for one thing but anything portraying women as sexual objects for dirty old and young men goes and we have to have our faces rubbed in it. :angry::angry:

Edited by Paula

I personally don't find it offensive but I wouldn't want my kids saying "######" I think it would be ok to show after the 9PM watershed. On the other hand there are quite a few mild swear words creeping into soaps lately so I think it might be the combination of words that is the problem. ###### on it's own or Hell on it's own are just common everyday words but put together they may offend some people and as I said I wouldn't want my kids repeating it, it's just something you don't want kids to say.

Viper, I agree, i don't want my kids saying ###### either. However, any child who has watched/read Harry Potter will have heard/read this many times (Ron Weasley says it quite often).

I voted No, I don't find it offensive. To be honest, I don't find swearing offensive unless it's like every second word.

Lauren

Hi Hailey,

I tried to vote 'no' but it wouldn't let me - have they left 'hell' in or is that out too. Oh they're a funny bunch over here, there was a piece in the paper last week about a bloke who said "sweet FA" to his friend on his mobile and got fined ?80 by a policeman!

His friend had asked him what he was doing and he said "Sweet F**k All" - copper overheard it and fined him :o

Talk about Police State.

Sweet FA refers not to the swearing [wrongly used abreviation] but to Fanny Adams,a [now dead] real person.

The police should not fine someone for swearing that isn't being used against anyone,there is nothing wrong with swear words,it's the context that humans have associated with them that has caused the problem.

###### is not even a "mild swear word" [to quote the BBC article],it's slang and says so in the dictionary:

adv.

Chiefly British Slang.

The people who are offended by ###### have probably never watched English terrestrial TV before.

Sensoring is getting worse,I remember watching a System Of A Down video on MTV2 [or Kerrang..forget which] a long while ago,and it had the word 'needles' edited out-this was after 10pm.

doesnt offend me at all,theres a lot lot worse being said,i saw in the paper that the song ba ba black shhep has now been changed to ba ba rainbow sheep!!i think thats ridiculous

Hailey,

I just saw news article saying that it was being banned!

The world has gone mad i tell you................. :blink::lol:

Personally, i think it's ******* ridiculous - And Ben thinks it's a load of old ******** too!! ;)

and INDIRECTLY linked, Ben thought it hilarious that his homework this week (on archaic words and their meanings) included 'ARSELING', which is (apparently) a long pole used by olde worlde bakers to clean out their ovens...

L&P

Baddad (the miserable old ****) ;):lol:

Well we've come a long way since George Bernard Shaw's "Not ###### Likely" first scandalised the genteel theatre going public nearly a century ago - or have we??

I can understand this ad not being aired before the 9 pm watershed, but I don't see a problem with it being shown to adult audiences. I rather like the ad, and what it suggests about Australia and Australians - irreverent, spontaneous, laid back, friendly - (am I right Hailey? :huh::) )

K x

Guest hallyscomet
doesnt offend me at all,theres a lot lot worse being said,i saw in the paper that the song ba ba black shhep has now been changed to ba ba rainbow sheep!!i think thats ridiculous

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I am speechless :lol::lol::lol::P

Oh please tell me that isn't true :o:(:tearful:

You know something, the PC lobby make me want to be purposefully be un PC! Bring back Golly wogs (I loved them and so did my friend Carmel who was dark skinned). Bring back the black board (it makes sense to SEN kids who read better with white on black background). Bring back Jesus who invented Christmas. There's nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade. Is there? Really? Is there?

I take people for who they are, not what they are or the colour of their skin or the god they worship.

The way this country is going scares me. Big Brother is most definately trying to get a foot in the door, and I actually think he already has.

Live and let live.

:rolleyes:

Lauren

Edited by Lauren

Guest hallyscomet
Well we've come a long way since George Bernard Shaw's "Not ###### Likely" first scandalised the genteel theatre going public nearly a century ago - or have we??

I can understand this ad not being aired before the 9 pm watershed, but I don't see a problem with it being shown to adult audiences. I rather like the ad, and what it suggests about Australia and Australians - irreverent, spontaneous, laid back, friendly - (am I right Hailey? :huh::) )

K x

I can agree with that Kathryn..... Australia is a nice place a lot of places you visit these days in Indonesia Etc you worry about Terrorism, there is so much to do and see here, and the weather is absolutely georgeous at the moment, anywhere in Australia. Great place for a family holiday. Prices are really good too. I love this place but then I am biased :D Once you are here you can get really cheap airfares to various destinations with very competitive airlines like Jetstar, Virgin are making Qantas cringe and forcing them to bring their prices down. There is a fantastic site some friends put me onto where you can select any state, region and a list of every type of accommodation in the area plus prices in there at your finger tips, with star ratings everything you need to know about the area, so so needs a travel agent these days. This is the website www.wotif.com it is a world wide service too. you can bargain hunt. :D

A lot of Australians book holidays directly through Real Estate agents in their favourite locations the most popular agents are LJ Hooker or Ray White, the popular thing to do is rent a house or apartment in your favourite location, then you have all the same facilities and comforts as you would have at home. Then just travel and do day trips and tours. Thats if you want to avoid the busy Resorts etc.

Cheers

Hailey

Hailey

Oh please tell me that isn't true :o:(:tearful:

You know something, the PC lobby make me want to be purposefully be un PC! Bring back Golly wogs (I loved them and so did my friend Carmel who was dark skinned). Bring back the black board (it makes sense to SEN kids who read better with white on black background). Bring back Jesus who invented Christmas. There's nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade. Is there? Really? Is there?

I take people for who they are, not what they are or the colour of their skin or the god they worship.

The way this country is going scares me. Big Brother is most definately trying to get a foot in the door, and I actually think he already has.

Live and let live.

:rolleyes:

totally agree with you on this on lauren.... the world has gone mad!!!

justamom

The world hasn't gone mad, people have. Especially in the UK these days. The Government has to respond to another layer of spin doctors.The Press, people who promise to express the wishes of the people, but in fact are only interested in promoting themselves.

I don't give a sh*t who the bl**dy h*ll you are, I thought the advert for Australia was funny, it reminded me of Crocodile Dundee and all those 4x adverts I'd seen.

Perhaps Sheilas Wheels should be banned as well, the very idea of encouraging women to drive around in a pink Cadillac (and - in one advert - corrupt a red blooded Male so he goes in drag) should be banned. All this liberation and free thinking, how will the Government or the Press manage to control the people? Especially now that the Church isn't a fundamental part of most people's lives.

There, I've managed to offend everyone,

hang on someone's knocking on the door

Oh sh*t, f*ck off, you Bast*rd, they're taking me away, I'll post again if they ----------------- Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........ :ninja:

on an off note how does that apply to someone with tourettes ???? !!!!

and as to the my kids havn't heard swear words yet... just go along to any school now and kids as young as three even younger are using the word... always wondered what the child thinks of when confronted with other kids swearing ? my friend was convinced her child never had heard the word f*k but yet was overheard shouting to another child f*k off I hate you !!! this was brilliantly ignored by the mum and we only knew it had been registered by her by her red face and the stammering that happened straight away after !!! Nick used it once and I asked him what did it mean his reply was I don't know... so for him any kind of swear word is similar to saying table, chair nose pickings... it doesn't have the same meaning to us... and yes he sniggered while saying it and so I asked too why did he snigger his reply I don't know - they laugh so I laugh !!!! says it all really so I try not to make a big thing out of it and yes I do use it occasionally when i have shut my hand in the cupboard door or trodden on another toy -lego being the worst... and if it gets picked up I said i needed a word which was a little more than ouch !!! and then he goes away as if nothings happened...leaving me wondering whether I had any kind of conversation with him at all !!

I don't find things like this at all offensive, I find them funny.

There's an ad on our local radio at the moment tho that I find VERY offensive. It's for a well known car company and the car being advertised is an xxxxx Three. The chap doing the ad supposedly has a speech impediment which means he has trouble with the letter "R" hence says "thwee". However, the exaggerated way he says this makes it clear that the actor obviously does not have this speech impediment but is putting it on quite strongly.

The advert makes a big thing of the impediment & there is a director in the background saying "thRee, thRee".

It's just not funny at all & I think it's horrible to make a mockery of people with this problem - there are children out there with this difficulty who have a hard enough time with other children teasing / bullying them, without an advert making it worse. It's disgusting that something like this is allowed - it just encourages cruel comments, all in the name of "a laugh". Picking on someone cos they are different again.

Right *climbs down off high horse*

Sorry to harp on, but it makes me so cross every time I hear it that I would now NEVER buy a car from that dealer. I ought to ring the station really and complain, might not make any difference but it would make me feel better.

Guest hallyscomet
Just been to the BBC news site -

FRONT PAGE NEWS!

The Ban has been lifted :dance::clap::P:thumbs:

:groupwave::lol::lol::lol: about time :D its a great time to come over here as the extreme heats of Summer have gone, so its much better for you to adjust to the differences in Temperatures.

Even we had trouble coping last Summer, and we are used to the heat.

Hailey

Edited by hallyscomet

Canada are having a go now...

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22032006/80-132/b...ays-canada.html

CANBERRA (Reuters) - First it was banned in the UK for its use of the word "######" and now Canada has vetoed a scene in a controversial Australian tourism campaign where a character lures visitors by saying "We've poured you a beer!"

Just days after the Broadcasting Advertising Clearance Centre lifted its ban on the ad, which centres on the slightly risque phrase "######", Australian Tourism Minister Fran Bailey said Canadian regulators had now lost their sense of humour.

"Buying a mate a beer is about as Australian as you can get. But the Canadian regulator has banned the shot because implied unbranded alcohol consumption (a part-empty beer glass) is unacceptable," Bailey said in a statement.

While Canada doesn't appear to have a problem with the word "######", it has also prevented the ad from being broadcast during two family programmes because of the word "hell".

The ads begin with characters saying: "We've poured you a beer and we've had the camels shampooed, we've saved you a spot on the beach ... and we've got the sharks out of the pool".

They end with a bikini-clad woman on a beach asking "so where the ###### are you?"

The furore over the British TV ban provided an unexpected windfall of free publicity for Tourism Australia, which said it had created "an on-line traffic jam" around the A$180 million (74 million pound) campaign.

Bailey hopes the "astonishing" Canadian decision to ban part of the ad would earn Australia more free publicity.

"What this decision shows is that Canada lags behind Americans, Brits and even Germans in the sense of humour stakes," Bailey said.

The campaign is already running in the United States and New Zealand as well as Britain and will also target China, Japan, India and Germany. The full advertisement can be seen at www.wherethebloodyhellareyou.com.