smiley

And the confusion begins.......

Updated........

'Ello :)

I sent M's parental request for assessment in a while ago - i've just received a letter from Mr LEA. Not saying yes or no.... just asking for more info (parental representation......).

It's given me 6 weeks in which to put this together (no problem - it's already nearly done..), then a decision to assess will be in 8 weeks........

:unsure: I thought they only asked for these extra bits if they'd decided to assess.....??? :unsure: (I'm confused already - not good!).

Couple of other bits....

The school are putting in their own request - it'll be in the post tomorrow (honestly it will, i've seen it... :ph34r::thumbs: ). How will this affect things?

Also - the 'Designated Medical Officer' is a Paed i've heard of - but not M's... Surely it should be M's Pead?.. :unsure:

Wow - my head hurts! :blink: End of term is alway manic at work......and a house move at the end of the month....and now this........ :wacko:

Edited by smileymab

I don't know how the schools own request will clash with yours but probably they'll just lump them together. You're lucky that your school are in support of a statement, I wish mine were.

The information they've asked for is in support of the request it's not the parental advice thing they ask for if they agree to go ahead.

Good luck :thumbs: You're at about the same stage I'm at with Luke's request for stat assessment. It will be interesting to compare our experiences over the coming weeks.

Lauren X

Hi Smileymab,

If you haven't already, it's worth getting the ACE SEN handbook - it tells you everything you need to know in a parent friendly way. I couldn't have done without mine!

Details here:

http://www.ace-ed.org.uk/publications/shop/SENHand.html

It sounds as though your parental request has started the process anyway, but it's good that the school have demonstrated their support by also putting in a request - it may help.

The parental information you send in now will also be considered as part of your parental contribution to the assessment if it goes ahead. You will be able to add to it later if you want.

I think an independent medical report is always requested by the LEA as part of the assessment. When L was undergoing statutory assessment she was seen by the LEA's designated medical officer (nobody I knew). As L was non verbal and quite stressed he just ased me loads of questions and filled in a standard form. You can still send in reports from your own paed and other professionals.

Good luck with everything :)

K x

they will take reports from M's doctors too but the stat. assessment doctor has to be an LEA one. Their job is basically to confirm what is being said and to check that there are no other health issues affecting learning - more a general check up than anything to do with the ASC specifically.

He will also need to see the Ed psycho, I think the rule is twice, and you should get a visit from the responsible officer at home.

Z

EP applied for my son's statement and we were asked for parental advice when they were deciding to assess and then again once they had decided to assess. I would have thought that if you have requested the statement then they will go through the same procdure so you give your advice three times

There are specific community paeds who do the medical advice for statements. However as Adam was seeing a community paed regularly he did the medical report which the designated MO used so Adam didn't need to have a further medical

Lx

My son is having statutory assessment right now, we did have to take LEA to the tribunal to get it though.

Same here with the medical assessment, we had been seen by Lukes paed a few months before statutory assessment so she was able to do the report which I am so pleased about.

Also as EP had seen Luke when we first requested the assessment he did not need to see him again either.

Hi Smiley,

The 'designated medical officer' assigned to Louis was someone we had never heard of, we have never seen him/spoken to him, and he hasn't contributed anything to the statement.

We did however mention to Louis's paed that we were going for a statement, and so she said she would write a report (which she did, and copied it to us/school/gp/lea/ed psych - basically all involved in the statement assessment). It is her report that is evidence in the statement, and she is mentioned in the statement under the advice recieved fromn bit.

>:D<<'> Thank you all >:D<<'>

Get the feeling i'm going to need you all in the coming weeks! :wacko::notworthy::D

I have a copy of the ACE handbook......and SEN CoP and SEN toolkit..........AND lots of other bits.... :ph34r:

>:D<<'> :D

I don't know whether it is the same in England (assuming that is where you are) as in Northern Ireland(where I am), but I think the school would be better writing a letter in support of your request than putting in their own. This could confuse things - If they continue to proceed on the basis of the school's request for statutory assessment there is no right to appeal if they turn the school down - whereas there is if they turn you down. Also then you would have twait six months before you can reapply.

Perhaps you could get the school to support you instead of submitting their own - it may end up messy otherwise!

Rachael was also been a different community paediatrician, but her own paediatrician did make a submission also. Any health or education professionals he is involved with will be asked to make a submission.

It is nightmare process -ours took 18 months from start to finish. Stick to yur guns though - at the outset we were told we would be unlikely to get a statement by our education psychologist as there were children more needy than Rachael. We got it in the end though - 15 hours classroom assisitant and the statement almost word for word as we wanted it!

Guest hallyscomet

:groupwave::lol::lol::lol:

Goodluck Smileymab, sounds like you have your hands full

H >:D<<'>

:ph34r::ph34r:

Parental Advice sent......

Keep everything crossed for my little one

:tearful::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::tearful:

Well done.Hope it goes smoohly now.Have a breather.Karen >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I have never been so scared to open a letter.......... :tearful:

"I am writing to confirm that the Local Education Authority has decided to go ahead with the statutory assessment"

YES!!!!!!

:dance::dance::D:D:tearful::clap::clap::thumbs::thumbs:

I cried my eyes out..... :rolleyes:

Great big hugs to everyone who got us this far... >:D<<'>

Smileymab

Can't believe I missed this :lol: - Fantastic news!! :):):):thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Take a breather and celebrate before the next phase begins!. :cheers:

K xx