Sign in to follow this  
Kathryn

Favourite fiction

I thought I'd start this topic because of the discussion of Owen Meany and John Irving which has begun on another board.

With school holidays coming up, people often have more time to read. We all need something to fill the time normally spent compiling yet another letter to the school, perusing the Code of Practice, psyching oneself up for yet another phone call, preparing for meetings with the school, and helping with homework etc, etc.

So go on - what are your favourite reads? .

I have an ulterior motive - I'm hoping to pick up some recommendations myself! :)

Only one rule - It must be fiction. :)

To start the ball rolling, four that I love -

Having been reminded - A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving)- read it in a week when we were staying in a cottage in Derbyshire. I had to - the book belonged to the cottage we were staying in. :lol:

Regeneration - (Pat Barker) because I'm interested in anything to do with World War 1 - the book is much better than the film, by the way.

The God of Small Things - (Arundhati Roy) - beautiful writing.

Middlemarch - George Eliot - the best of the classics, in my opinion.

I'll stop there!

K x

Edited by Kathryn

............Patricia Cornwells book about kay Scarpetta...............I always read those........a bit yucky though as they are about a forensic pathologist :sick: ..........but I,ve always been into forensics and science etc.I also love the classics............Wuthering heights...........Pride and Prejudice.........Persuasion..........and Thomas Hardys books.

Kathryn

'The God of Small Things' is one of my all time favourites.

Again, due to sheer artistry with the written word, I also love Gabriel Garcia Marquez - particularly 'Love in the Time of Cholera'.

Have also recently enjoyed Kazuo Ishiguro's 'Never Let Me Go' as it was an easy read, well-written and thought-provoking - definitely good holiday reading.

Barefoot

Owen Meany? Surely you mean OWEN MEANY :lol::lol:

Garps good too!

Yep, gotta be in there....

Best humour - Hitch Hikers Guide TRILOGY :lol::lol:

or 'The Grass Harp' by Truman Capote

AND # 1 Spike Milligan's 'Puckoon' - when he was at the top of his game!

Reggie Perrin novels - David Nobbs

Roddy Doyle's 'Paddy Clarke'

Quickest read - Of Mice and Men (100 brilliant pages) John Steinbeck

To Kill a Mocking Bird (not just for O level!!) Harper Lee

If your in your teens The Catcher In The Rye

Out of 'em Raise High the Roofbeam Carpenter or Franny and Zooey (basically, Sallinger's all good!)

Brilliant 'epic' Stephen King's THE STAND: with about a squillion books under his belt he's never bettered it!

Adventures of Wim (Better than 'dice man' IMHO) - Luke Rhinehardt

James Lee Burkes 'Roubichoeux' novels

Ohhh.... squillions... and ben's being a pain so I've got to sign off... :lol::lol::lol:

Girly book - Camberwell Beauty - Jenny Eclair

Bye

BD :D

I'm with Suze, I love the crime/forensic books.

Patricia Cornwall, Kathy Reichs, Faye Kellerman, Jonathan Kellerman.

Suze, have you read the Janet Evanovich books? One for the money, Two for the dough etc. They are brilliant. Crime, but very modern and funny :notworthy::notworthy: .

Edited by annie

THANKS KATHRYN FOR THIS THREAD :thumbs:

I'm really enjoying reading ' The Time Traveller's Wife' at the mo ( or I was, I put it on top of my ironing pile and it's disappeared !!) I bought 'Never Let Me Go' at the same time (bogof from Smiths) so that's next on my list.

I recently read 'One' by Nigel Picard,a novel about asd. If anyone wants to borrow it PM me and I'll post it out to you, I'd be interested to hear others' opinions. I'd just ask that you'd agree to then post it on to anyone else who wants it.

Old favourites that spring to mind are;

'Kes' by Barry Hines

'One Hundred Years of Solitude' by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

errr, loads really but nothing I've been made to write an essay about, it kills it for me :wacko:

wac

Government party policies and white papers...now those are truly works of fiction. :P

(Sorry the only real fiction I like is T Pratchett because he pokes satire at our socities. I just seem to lack the ability to 'get' fiction)

Hi Everyone

I really like JD Robb the In Death series about a new york cop Eve Dallas and James Patterson womens murder club series. Im reading a Jackie Collins at the minute though!!! Also Martina Cole is good but very gruesum!

Don't get much time to read fiction these days, but Japer fforde's books (The Eyre Affair, Lost in a Good Book, etc.) are woderfully funny, but dangerously addictive.

Still enjoy reading Phillip K. Dick's early books about the nature of reality, humanity and mental health (including several with autistic main characters). The Clans of the Alphane Moon is a must-read.

Recently read a gorgeous book 'The Price of Water in Finisterre' by a norwegian poet whose name i can't remember and doesn't appear to be anywhere on the web :o . Now that's obsure! :lol:

Guest flutter

i like all the crime too but am really into Jodi Picoult just now, read a book of hers years ago and now she is one of the in authors just nows

dont have the brain cells to read at the mo tho :crying:

Oh yes, the Big Read was great - in fact that's how I discvered OWEN MEANY. :) I introduced my daughter to quite a few new books that way. I too was determined to read all the ones on the list I haven't already read - but I haven't managed it yet.

Two that I keep meaning to read but never get round to - Birdsong and Captain Corelli's Mandolin.

K x

My favourite book of all time is Thomas Hardy's The Mayor of Casterbridge, yes it was o level english reading material but it never fails to move me to tears..

Kathryn I think Middlemarch is good ....A level english reading material!!! :lol:

I have Captain Corelli's Mandolin but haven't read it yet...in fact have a huge pile of classics I haven't had time to read...busy studying..

But hopefully I can say I've finished my degree next year (that's if I get through this year)

I was a real book worm when I was younger

I thought I'd start this topic because of the discussion of Owen Meany and John Irving which has begun on another board.

With school holidays coming up, people often have more time to read. We all need something to fill the time normally spent compiling yet another letter to the school, perusing the Code of Practice, psyching oneself up for yet another phone call, preparing for meetings with the school, and helping with homework etc, etc.

So go on - what are your favourite reads? .

I have an ulterior motive - I'm hoping to pick up some recommendations myself! :)

Only one rule - It must be fiction. :)

To start the ball rolling, four that I love -

Having been reminded - A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving)- read it in a week when we were staying in a cottage in Derbyshire. I had to - the book belonged to the cottage we were staying in. :lol:

Regeneration - (Pat Barker) because I'm interested in anything to do with World War 1 - the book is much better than the film, by the way.

The God of Small Things - (Arundhati Roy) - beautiful writing.

Middlemarch - George Eliot - the best of the classics, in my opinion.

I'll stop there!

K x

Kathryn I wanted to repply to above not because of main topic.But because the first section re what fills our time normally made my day.Having given up my 1 and half hours a day at work I am now a FT mum.OH has teased me about as a comedy put it ''whatever it is that I now do all day '':D:D I looked at yor post and thought yes.......thats what I do.What is more you seem like a sane individual so I am in good company :D:D Karen

Mine would be:

Raising the Stones: Sherri S Tepper

Another planet light years away the descendants of Earth travellers discover unusual things beginning to happen on their colony. People are content, happy and start to build temples but not to an obvious god, the affect is such that the "religion" spreads to other planets and - well it's a good story

Gate to Womens Country: Sherri S Tepper

An excellent look at sexism within society - again on another planet. Brilliant!

Beauty: Sherri S Tepper

A rather scary twist on the Sleeping Beauty fairy tale. An excellent read - an award-winning book

Tad Williams: Otherland series

A seriously scary book set not far into the future when a bunch of ageing millionaires create a cyber land on the internet where they can transfer their minds to when they die and then it all goes horribly wrong!

JRR Tolkein: The Hobbit

Actually the list is pretty endless

I wouldnt know where to start, i read everything i can get my hands on. i even read the cereal boxes when im eating my breakfast (all right, i know, im sad.) Im currently reading To kill a mocking bird again,(. in the bathroom) , firefly summer (maeve binchy, in the bedroom) and The blue nowhere (jeffery deaver, in the lounge)

I am very sad and immature at the moment where reading's concerned. Bought a huge pile of Michael Morpurgos for J and have been reading through them to decide which are most suitable for him. I'm hooked! He writes a lot about war and Private Peaceful (about WW1) did more for me than two years of reading Wilfred Owen for O Level English. A fine discovery.

Also handy that they're not demanding at all because I haven't much brainspace at the moment with all the preparation for autism assessment and a myriad other things going on right now.

Karen

x

Someone mentioned the Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy - I like "Return of the Native" by same author. Another favourite classic of mine is Wuthering Heights.

I havent done a lot of reading lately (brain ususally engaged in how to make our next move with the LEA). However, I did manage to squeeze in "The Da Vinci Code" as everyone was going on about it. It was a jolly good read, I have to say and, whatever your views and beliefs, its just a good story.

I have also enjoyed "Wilbur Smith" books which are full of adventure, action and intrigue. For a bit of bathtime light reading, I have enjoyed Jeffrey Archer or some Jilly Cooper.

Daisydot

Kathryn I wanted to repply to above not because of main topic.But because the first section re what fills our time normally made my day.Having given up my 1 and half hours a day at work I am now a FT mum.OH has teased me about as a comedy put it ''whatever it is that I now do all day '':D:D I looked at yor post and thought yes.......thats what I do.What is more you seem like a sane individual so I am in good company :D:D Karen

Sane? :P:P:P:P:P:hypno::hypno::hypno::hypno: You'll have to ask the people who've met me :lol: I think I used to be, until the LEA got hold of me... :blink:

I am very sad and immature at the moment where reading's concerned. Bought a huge pile of Michael Morpurgos for J and have been reading through them to decide which are most suitable for him. I'm hooked! He writes a lot about war and Private Peaceful (about WW1) did more for me than two years of reading Wilfred Owen for O Level English. A fine discovery.

Also handy that they're not demanding at all because I haven't much brainspace at the moment with all the preparation for autism assessment and a myriad other things going on right now.

Karen

x

I don't think this is sad and immature at all, Karen. :) I often read my children's books - and reread childhood favourites of my own, like the Noel Streatfield books about children acquiring fame as actors or dancers (anyone remember them?) - how I wanted to be like them!

I haven't read Private Peaceful - there's a play based on it. If you liked it, do try Regeneration.

Talking of children's fiction - L introduced me to the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman - couldn't put them down. Have a go at these if you haven't already. I can guarantee you'll be drawn in and they'll be so absorbing you'll forget about the stress of real life - just for a while. :)

If you're trying to escape stress - stay away from Thomas Hardy - just my opinion. If you weren''t depressed before, you will be after reading one of his books. :ph34r:

K x

Oooh, 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin' is lovely, Kathryn...I'll bring it over next time I see you!

Also loved 'Girl with a Pearl Ear-ring' (will lend too! :lol: ).

AND, you can have blummin' 'Daniel Isn't Talking Back'!! :lol::devil:

Boho :dance:

Fave book of all time would be 'The Illiad', and I do like a good dose of Joanna Trollope for reading for tired minds :clap:

Fave book of all time would be 'The Illiad', and I do like a good dose of Joanna Trollope for reading for tired minds :clap:

Funnily enough, i'm rather fond of a Trollop at bedtime too!

What's that?

Different spelling?

French is it?

Oh a novelist! How novel! ;);)

L&P

BD :P:D

Kathryn, thanks for starting this thread >:D<<'>

There are so many books that I love that I don?t know where to start.

Maybe the book that I?ve loved for the longest is the Martian Chronicles (AKA The Silver Locusts) by Ray Bradbury. I also loved his Dandelion Wine, Illustrated Man and Dinosaur Tales.

Lately I love anything by John Irving of OWEN MEANY fame. Often Irving writes stories within stories as in Widow for a Year and The World According to Garp. I love that in his books, he?s just so skilled at giving you more that what you bargained for.

Daphne Du Maurier wrote some great books especially Rebecca and My cousin Rachel. I love to see Rebecca as a play too - brilliant.

Ian McEwan is a beautiful writer, Enduring Love being one of his best (good film too!) His latest Saturday is lovely too!

The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint by Brady Udall is a very funny, quirky book and a quick read.

Kathryn - I loved The God of Small Creatures too.

Baddad - If you like Catcher in the Rye, you should read The Talk of the Town by Ardal O?Hanlon (Yes Father Dougal) Its similar sort of rambling introspective stuff that keeps you wondering.

Oh I think I?d better stop there. Maybe, when I've got a bit more time I'll tell you all my top 100 books :lol: Only kidding :P

SV

I'll read anything. I'm not a book snob;if it's a good read I don't care who wrote it IYKWIM. I love Philippa Gregory's books both her fiction and none fiction, but the favourite fiction is The Wise Woman; Ian Rankin's Rebus books; Mary Wesley, particulary the Camomile Lawn; Behind the Scenes at the museum by Kate Atkins is a good read, Jane Austin, Thomas Hardy etc etc etc etc

But, and this isn't exactly my favourite book, but for uniqueness it's probably one of the best I've read and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes something with a weird edge to it; Perfume, by Patrick Suskind... absolutely weird, unique, funny and disturbing and brilliantly written (in my very unintellectual opinion) and the final paragraph actually made me gasp with horror and laugh out loud!!!

Lauren

Edited by Lauren

But, and this isn't exactly my favourite book, but for uniqueness it's probably one of the best I've read and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes something with a weird edge to it; Perfume, by Patrick Suskind... absolutely weird, unique, funny and disturbing and brilliantly written (in my very unintellectual opinion) and the final paragraph actually made me gasp with horror and laugh out loud!!!

Lauren

OK you've got me intrigued Lauren, I'll be looking out for that book :thumbs:

For sheer gasp in shock horror and laugh out loud value I'd recommend Lolita by

Vladimir Nobokov - I couldn't put it down!!!

SV

i read everything i can get my hands on. i even read the cereal boxes when im eating my breakfast (all right, i know, im sad.)

I'm sad too! I'll read anything I can lay my hands on.

One book I'd love to read again is called 'After the Fire' - i think the author was Lockley (John) - i lent it to my friend and her dog chewed it up :o - out of print now :(

It was an extremely gripping story, there were three in the series, and each book ended with a cliffhanger which left me waiting for the next one to be published. it was so gripping that, when i lent it to my neighbour to read in hospital she ended up getting annoyed with the visitors as she couldn't get on and read the book!

:robbie::robbie::robbie:

That's from me! J!

Edited by MotherEve

ANYONE KNOW?...

More years ago than I care to admit to, my German Penfriend recommended a book which I tracked down from the Library, but didn't get to finish 'cos i had too many books out and they were ALL ultra heavy going....

Anyways, this one was translated from German (I think), and the story was a guy who pretends to be blind so he can observe/hide from the world behind his dark specs... It's probably a HUGE international bestseller and i'll sound a right maroon - but any pointers would be appreciated!

Meanwhile, a lovely little book from German translation I DID finish: Hans Fallader - Little Man What Now... nothing earth shattering, just a nice little 'homely' tale that ambles along nicely...

L&P

BD :D

PS: Cornflake packet is rubbish... Weetabix has a much better plot and a bit of a twist in the tale! :lol::lol::lol:

baddad, I asked my German friend up the road from me and the only thing he could think of was this

Mein Name Sei Gantbein. by someone called frish or frisch or frich (not sure how it's spelled)

He said he read it years ago and as far as he remembers there was a character pretending to be blind.

Might not be the one you were reading but thought I'd let you know

Lauren :D