Stephanie

Last CD you listened to?

Thought i'd ressurect this 'cos I gave my old DEVO cd's a spin today, and it made me feel like this:

:D:D:D:D

Nearly 30 years on, the fade in to 'gut feeling' can still make the hairs on the back of my neck go up...

ARE WE NOT MEN??

L&P

BD :D

WE ARE DEVO, D.E.V.O :P:P:P

I've been listening to:

The Shins - Oh inverted World :wub::wub::wub:

SV

DAMMIT BD HOW DO I MAKE THE TEXT BIG !!!

Edited by something vague

... somewhere in the mists of time....There was an album called 'Welcome to my nightmare'... hadn't played it for years (15+??) apart from to record from vinyl to minidisc at somepoint without really listening, IYKWIM......

A couple of weeks ago I saw the re-released, remastered CD version of it and ordered on import and totally forgot!... It turned up this morning, and was a complete 100% surprise!... a little gift from god! Made my little day! as Stimpy would say: "Oh, Joy!"

SV - Joseph Arthur?... Wasn't she one of the Golden Girls?? ;):lol::lol::lol:

L&P

I like Head Cleaner :lol::lol:

really cool band, ever heard of them :lol:

In our teens we put it on for our mother God Bless her, as sat their waiting, as it was cleaning the heads of the tape player we started rocking our heads saying, well, what do you think, great dont you think... :lol::lol:

Oh we so had her fooled for a while :devil::rolleyes:

Edited by Frangipani

I probably shouldn't admit to this one, but it was 'Supernature' by Goldfrapp. Didn't think much of it actually. 'Tears Roll Down' by Tears for Fears, I did like this one, great stuff :dance:

Q: Take one of your old Colloseum II/Rick Wakeman/Gryphon LP's, add Aphex Twin's drum machine set to 'Jungle' and Mark King on bass and what have you got?

A: Squarepusher...

What a load of pretentious old twaddle!! Glad I borrowed it before shelling out on the basis of all the fab reviews 'n stuff...

25+ years ago it would have made NME's 'pseuds corner' - now it's supposed to be cutting edge!

The mind :wacko::wacko: 's

L&P

Q: Take one of your old Colloseum II/Rick Wakeman/Gryphon LP's, add Aphex Twin's drum machine set to 'Jungle' and Mark King on bass and what have you got?

A: Squarepusher...

What a load of pretentious old twaddle!! Glad I borrowed it before shelling out on the basis of all the fab reviews 'n stuff...

25+ years ago it would have made NME's 'pseuds corner' - now it's supposed to be cutting edge!

The mind :wacko::wacko: 's

L&P

BD

I haven't got the faintest idea what you are talking about! :blink:

S

BD

I haven't got the faintest idea what you are talking about! :blink:

S

Hi simon...

'squarepusher' is a bass player/electronics 'wizard' lately being hailed as something very special. he's not!

Colleseum II were a late 70's/early 80's Jazz/Funk/Rock crossover band with that bloke with the scar who played guitar on 'Parisienne walkways' (Gary Moore?) on guitar.

Gryphon were a caravanesque half French/half English prog ensemble who did a lovely cover version of 'Mother Nature's Son' amongst other things.

Rick Wakeman was a GOD!! :lol::lol::lol:

Mark King was the over-rated bass player from the over-rated band level 42.

Aphex twin is gooooood (in places)

A drum machine is a sequencer for playing drum patterns

'Jungle' is a type of hardcore dance music.

Hope that helps :lol::lol::P

Fratellis is good, though :D:thumbs:

L&P

Hi simon...

'squarepusher' is a bass player/electronics 'wizard' lately being hailed as something very special. he's not!

Colleseum II were a late 70's/early 80's Jazz/Funk/Rock crossover band with that bloke with the scar who played guitar on 'Parisienne walkways' (Gary Moore?) on guitar.

Gryphon were a caravanesque half French/half English prog ensemble who did a lovely cover version of 'Mother Nature's Son' amongst other things.

Hope that helps :lol::lol::P

Fratellis is good, though :D:thumbs:

L&P

I knew that :o:P:lol::lol::lol: just kidding :devil:

Don't you knock the rickster!

Never before has one Moog done so much for so many...

Played keyboards & drank bitter... Pity he had to grow up!

Be honest though, Him, Will Self and Arthur Smith are the only ones on grumpy old men who really come close, aren't they? Grumpy old men? Pah! Next to me they're positively cheerful!

L&P

Grumpy old BD :D

A Mine of useless information :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: and how do they choose people for Grumpy Old Men anyway. I expect they just look out for a few old hasbeens. Yep Rick was probably the first person to spring to mind :wacko:

... somewhere in the mists of time....There was an album called 'Welcome to my nightmare'... hadn't played it for years (15+??) apart from to record from vinyl to minidisc at somepoint without really listening, IYKWIM......

A couple of weeks ago I saw the re-released, remastered CD version of it and ordered on import and totally forgot!... It turned up this morning, and was a complete 100% surprise!... a little gift from god! Made my little day! as Stimpy would say: "Oh, Joy!"

Is this by Alice Cooper :huh:

Rick Wakeman is only fit to be a D-List celeb on Through the Key Hole these days ...!

Er, last CD was ... Bullet for my Valentine's The Poison in the car, tracks 4 & 7 played constantly with my kids in the back saying "no, Mummy not this song again, put the Chili's on!" Lol.

Rick Wakeman is only fit to be a D-List celeb on Through the Key Hole these days ...!

Er, last CD was ... Bullet for my Valentine's The Poison in the car, tracks 4 & 7 played constantly with my kids in the back saying "no, Mummy not this song again, put the Chili's on!" Lol.

I SAY - that's a little bit harsh, isn't it?? :lol::lol::lol:

The poison?? Is that that lot that sound like busted with someone screaming on backing vocals? :o:lol::lol::lol: And as for the chilli's - well just like Rick they were good in their day (actually VERY good in their day, but it's a long way back!) :P:P

Now, another trip down memory lane - Today i are been listening to Kate Bush :wacko:

I bought arial when it came out, but only played it once and was a bit disappointed 'cos it wasn't as good as Hounds/The Ninth Wave... Gave it another shot today and it really is very special >:D<<'>

Maybe just me, but these lyrics seemed to strike a chord -

Sweet and gentle and sensitive man

With an obsessive nature and deep fascination

For numbers

And a complete infatuation with the calculation

Of PI

Oh he love, he love, he love

He does love his numbers

And they run, they run, they run him

In a great big circle

In a circle of infinity

3.1415926535 8979323846 264 338 3279

Oh he does, he does, he does

He does love his numbers

And they run, they run, they run him

In a great big circle

In a circle of infinity

But he must, he must, he must

Put a number to it...

L&P& BOF (thought I'd get it in first, stephanie!)

I'm listening to Dave Matthews - Stand Up.

I'm seeing Dave in Sydney in April, that's if my plane doesn't explode on the way ;)

Amy Winehouse - Back to Black (new one....not sure if i like it yet....)

& the very chilled B) Paolo Nutini - these streets

Edited by smiley

ooooh ooooh ooooh....

Just came today - all the way from amerika on import! Fujiya & Miyagi - transparent things...

Heard 'collarbone' on the new jag advert and ordered the album on the strength of it. if you like a bit of Kraut Rock it's brilliant! :clap::clap::thumbs:

But why, oh why oh why oh why..........

Is it cheaper for me to buy the album on import (with special packaging and an exclusive bonus track) from amerika than it is 20 mile up the road in Brighton which is where the band come from?? :wacko:

Now wonder this country's.................... :angry::angry:;)

BTW : spotted this on Tiscali's music page... if you like a bit of KR/Frenchified dance, or if you just like really clever dance routines, give it a hit!

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/broadband/mediapl...sic&id=3011

L&P

An album by 'The Happy Cats' in a friends car. They are a local North East group and have quite a wide repetoir. Also the lead Marty Craggs is great across a wide range of instruments. I took my friend to one of their gigs (in a local pub) recently and she liked them a lot. You can find more about them here:

http://www.thehappycats.com/

I could even go see them tonight in North Shields. Might have to check out the location. They are nice and lively. I need something like that after having exams all week. I knew about the band because Marty is one of the ex members of Lindisfarne and I liked them too. You can find a few clips on the website above if you go to merchandise then download.

One Lindisfarne song I particularly like is 'Roll on that Day':

"One day I know the way before us will be clear

all that divides us now will fade and disappear.

One day I know as sure as morning follows night

we'll walk together from the darkness to the light.

Brothers and sisters joining hands along the way

change got to come and I say, roll on that day.

Chorus:

Roll on that day I say now, roll on that day,

For all the cold and lonely, hungry and unborn

see that their darkest hour is just before the dawn.

And I see a bright blue morning, lighting up the way

Chorus:

Roll on that day I say now, roll on that day,

Instrumental: like chorus

I see a bright blue morning, lighting up the way

Chorus: repeat 4 x

Roll on that day I say, roll on that day,

change got to come and I say, roll on that day."

http://www.lindisfarne.de/

David do you know a north east band called Amber Souls, they are well worth going to see. I went to see them at the Cluney in Byker..........they are kind of hippy trippy indie and the bass player is pretty lush :P

Last Cd I listened to: -

The Shins Wincing the night away

SV

EDIT..........How come I cant get the italics to work?

Edited by something vague