Sign in to follow this  
minerva

Reminisce

Went to the shops with my youngest on Sunday & came across some "Rhubarb & Custard" sweets, so i obviously had to grab them, aswell as the chocolate limes & milkbottles YUMM!!!!!

All 3 were my favourites growing up, alongside sherbet pips (anyone find any of those cos i cant!?)

What were yours?

I loved Rhubarb & Custards. :P

My favourites were the white chocolate mice and the strawberry laces. Yum! I hated anything with aniseed though. :sick:

We have one of those old-fashioned sweet shops near us, with huge jars of everything. So far I've managed to resist temptation........ :whistle:

I love rhubard and custard :dance: . I still buy them when I do my weekly shop, but they don't taste the same as they used to.

I like Black Jacks, Fruit Salads and Refreshers too :thumbs:

I loved, loved, loved Sweet Peanuts, Kop kops and Football Chums.

I hated Soor Plums, Revels and Bounty. Yuk!!

Tilly

Oohhhhh Rhubarb and Custard....LOVED them. Pear Drops used to make me cough....and take the lining off my tongue :unsure::unsure: I used to really like sherbet, a multi coloured one, looked fantastic in the huge tubs behind the counter. I remember being given pennies and half pennies, and seemed to be able to buy loads, and used to really love watching them all being weighed out. Still really like sweeties like cola bottles, fruit salads, black jacks, peanut brittle, sour dummies.......erm, need I go on... :whistle:

Bagpuss you sound like you have a real sweet tooth!

Yum Yum, rhubarb and custard sweets, Sweet peanuts, peanut brittle, Aniseed balls - you used to have the seed in the middle, and cough candy's.

We used to go buy these from the Icecream van at secondary school by the bagfull!

:huh: Not sure what my mum would say about the amount of sweets we used to gobble when we should've been buying lunch! :blink::whistle:

Being an aniseed fiend, I liked the really hard liquorice sticks with the one end flattened out, and sherbert fountains too! ooo and those rolls of liquorice with the coloured aniseed chew sweet in the middle!

i love rhubarb and custard and aniseed balls we used to suck down to the pip they used to last weeks. making my mouth water just thinking about them and also loved sherbert pips but cant seem to get them now :(

Pear drops - but they really used to make your tongue sore!

oooh ouch! they were great but they used to rip the skin off the roof of my mouth, definately no good for the "who can keep the sweet in your mouth longest game" i used to play with my brother & sister.

Aniseed balls! I forgot them, how could i?? I love aniseed, & everything with aniseed in it! Gonna have to hunt for those aswell as sherbet pips now *sigh*

Fruit salad & back jack were always great but they sell them in little packets in the shop around the corner so they arent so rare as the others.

note to self: hunt for aniseed balls :D

Bagpuss you sound like you have a real sweet tooth!

Yum Yum, rhubarb and custard sweets, Sweet peanuts, peanut brittle, Aniseed balls - you used to have the seed in the middle, and cough candy's.

We used to go buy these from the Icecream van at secondary school by the bagfull!

:huh: Not sure what my mum would say about the amount of sweets we used to gobble when we should've been buying lunch! :blink::whistle:

Being an aniseed fiend, I liked the really hard liquorice sticks with the one end flattened out, and sherbert fountains too! ooo and those rolls of liquorice with the coloured aniseed chew sweet in the middle!

Me... :o .sweeth tooth.. :whistle: ...NEVER! :whistle:;):devil::devil:

No-one has mentioned the good ole Gobstopper..... :wub::wub:

Perhaps you lot can help me identify a sweet memory.. :)

I didn't grow up in the UK (so have no idea what you're talking about here, mostly :lol: ), but my grandparents used to run a newsagent's near Manchester and would send me sweets and comics. They'd always send these oblong shaped chewy sweets in two flavours. One was half orange half lemon, the other was half toffee half strawberry. I loved them and used to try and make them last forever. Anyone remember anything like this? We're talking late 1960's /early 70's here. :huh::rolleyes:

K x

Edited by Kathryn

Kathryn, i remember these sweets but will have to ask my friends husband the name (bit of a hobby of his, searching out childhood sweets).

Nicola

oooh ouch! they were great but they used to rip the skin off the roof of my mouth, definately no good for the "who can keep the sweet in your mouth longest game" i used to play with my brother & sister.

Same thing used to happen when I ate a whole packet of Spangles!

Anyone else remember the aptly-named Jawbreakers? Huge gobstopper things with different flavours in each layer.

And Space Dust that used to tingle and fizz on your tongue. :hypno:

No-one has mentioned the good ole Gobstopper.

Am I the only one who remembers the Timebomb gobstoppers from the 1980s? They were 1.5 inches in diameter and made up of different coloured layers so they changed colour as you sucked them. They were discontinued when a kid choked to death on one.

Another sweet you can't get any more are Rola Balls. They were shiny silver cola flavoured sweets that looked like ball bearings.

Now whatever happened to the Terry's Pyramint?

Has enyone looked at a website calld a quater of. I can recomend them i have a sweet tooth and i love choclat mice and the choclat cups :D

Has enyone looked at a website calld a quater of. I can recomend them i have a sweet tooth and i love choclat mice and the choclat cups :D

Just looked and for those of you who are looking for them you can order sherbert pips from them!

Just looked and for those of you who are looking for them you can order sherbert pips from them!

Yeah but for �12.57 per jar!! I think i'm just going to have to keep reminiscing lol

I dont remember Mras being 7p, but i do remember polos being 4 or 5p and we used to collect Corona Fizzy bottles cos if you took them back to the shop you'd get 10p off the next one :D

And they think they've just introduce recycling :shame:

Never heard of lucky potatoes not sure they sound sweet enough for my taste lol

mmmm. sweet peanuts forgot about those.

Rasberry ruffles and Galaxy counters were my favourites too.

Now I need a chocolate fix!!!

Take care,

Jb

I remember the launch of curlie wurlies - they were sooooo big you could use them as a ladder for window cleaning... Mind you, they had to compete with REAL wagon wheels that were the size of... well, wagon wheels!

All time faves -

'Nutty' bars - which were like a solid brick of soft fudge toffee encrusted with whole peanuts

Lord Toffingham Ice creams

Jamaican Gold coconut baccy

And i knew a girl who would do anything ;);) for a double decker when they first came out!

Oh - and caramac

AND... as a very VERY young lad : a tin of butterfly brand condensed milk and a teaspoon could send me to heaven for hours!!

Ahhhhhhhhhh, those were the days. Now if I look sideways at an iced gem i can feel my belt tightening! :lol::lol::lol:

L&P

Fatty Arbuckle :D

There is a fab shop in arbroath thar sells lucky tatties and lots of other sweets like pan tablet and boilings, also shop in glasgows london rd sells all the old sweets like violet creams and sherbet dips

nicola

Yeah i heard of it...in fact my friend uses it all the time...she has a very sweet tooth!!

My favourite was flying saucers and cough candy....but they don't taste what they used to!

Ice lollies with chocolate tools inside.

Who can remember the TREBOR song

Trebor mints are a minty bit stronger

Stick em up yer .... and they last a bit longer

Or was it only kids in the north who sang that??

SV

Errr, where to start ....

Mint Cracknel ( not sure of spelling there !)

Midget Gems, especially the black ones,

Cherry Lips,

those liitle black sweets in a tin, Imps ???

kayli (sp. again !)

Cough candy, the real stuff and those other pasta spiral shaped sweets that masqueraded as cough candy.

My parents' shop was next door to a 'proper' sweet shop ( or 'spice' as they were known here up north ) so I spent all my pocket money in there !

I'm amazed I haven't got a mouth full of fillings :rolleyes:

wac

Quick P.S. while we're on reminiscing,

do you remember when cans of 'pop' didn't have ringpulls ? and you were stuffed if you forgot the can opener ( cos it was usually left in the kitchen drawer for opening cans of 'Fussel's' condensed milk !! )

Edited by waccoe

:hypno::hypno: Kola (Cola??? Kolla??????) Cubes.......... Yum! :hypno::hypno:

Bid - i remember Mars bars at 10p :D:sick: Icky things :lol:

Ohhhhhhh :hypno: and half-penny blackjacks :hypno: They gave you a black tongue :thumbs:

Perhaps you lot can help me identify a sweet memory.. :)

I didn't grow up in the UK (so have no idea what you're talking about here, mostly :lol: ), but my grandparents used to run a newsagent's near Manchester and would send me sweets and comics. They'd always send these oblong shaped chewy sweets in two flavours. One was half orange half lemon, the other was half toffee half strawberry. I loved them and used to try and make them last forever. Anyone remember anything like this? We're talking late 1960's /early 70's here. :huh::rolleyes:

K x

Kathryn, i remember these sweets but will have to ask my friends husband the name (bit of a hobby of his, searching out childhood sweets).

Nicola

Thanks Nicola! It's good to know someone remembers them and I didn't just dream them. :lol: They were soooo nice. :) I expect they stopped being made long long ago.

K x

Just reading this thread is making my mouth water. Mmmmmm........

We used to get 10p every saturday and go to the sweet shop (talking late 70's). You could get LOADS of penny sweets for 10p!

My favourites were;

sherbet pips (the best!)

Fruit salads

spangles

flying saucers

white chocolate fish and chips

ooh and the jars of multi-coloured sherbet. Delicious! (Imagine the "E" numbers in that :shame: )

Kathryn, i remember the strawberry and toffee chews, but i can't remember their name.

Loulou xx

Hi,

I just read Mossgrove's link. Anyone remember PACERS? Yuck those green and white minty chews (looked like opal fruits). I really hated them!

Loulou x

We used to buy little plastic envelopes filled with a liquid milk-shake mix to add to your school milk (Pre Thatcher of course - the wicked ol' milk stealin' bat!)... and everlasting strips always went soft in the summer and tasted 10 times better! Did anyone else 'melt' (as in 'burn') the ends of sweet cigarettes over the gas ring until they went black and bubbled? Del-LIC-ious! Go on, try it - they're called 'candy sticks' now, though...

Lucky numbers at Christmas? the poor man's version of Q street or those other ones that (according to Norman Vaughan) 'grow on you!'

My sister briefly worked at a sweet wholesalers and brought a whole OUTER BOX of 'shrimps' one christmas... we'd eaten the lot by lunchtime :sick::sick::sick:

:D

Hi,

I just read Mossgrove's link. Anyone remember PACERS? Yuck those green and white minty chews (looked like opal fruits). I really hated them!

Loulou x

Oh yes i remember pacers alright!! i was eating one on the way home from school camp and it pulled my train track style brace right off my teeth!!

I also remember rola balls, that is a blast from the past!

Does anyone know if you can get northumberland fudge anywhere or refreshers sweets, believe it or not they helped when i was having my son and i had dreadful heartburn!

Cola cubes and pear drops did shred your mouth to bits. I remember it used to be 20p for a quarter of sweets and every friday our class would go to the sweet shop near the school and buy a quarter of whatever. Aww memories!!! :P

Does anyone remember the black and white chocolate sweets, they were like minstrels?

And what happened to the banjo??

Can anyone remember Texan bars? My DH reckons I dreamt 'em. They were like a really really hard chewy centre with choc coating. I had one once and it pulled two of me fillings out!!

Fave sweets -

Caramac

Munchies

Orange Aero

Cabana (?) it was a coconut, soft toffee & cherry bar coated in chocolate. I really craved these when preggers but they don't make 'em any more. Again, DH reckons I made these up!

As for the chewy strawberry / toffee chews, I can see the wrapping they came in - stripy - but I'll be beggared if I can remember what they were called. It's driving me crackers now! I'll probably think harder about this this afternoon than any work!!! Were they made by Millers or something????

Edited by Jill

I used to LOVE cabana's, and I do remember 54321, loved them too, and Stripers, 4 kinds of flavours chew bar thing!!! what about walnut whips but with coffee cream inside??? Can't get them now, also PROPER bonfire lollys that were in a foil cup type thing, could be used as an ashtray after the lolly had long gone???? And i remember polo's being 7p poer pack, thought it was great!!

try here

sweetie link

or here

sweetie link 2