liamsmum

DLA Continued,..

Hi Caroline :robbie:

Thanks for getting back to me.

I used to work for the NHS, and have planned over the last few years to return, and with 2 sons, ok, Jamie is 18 and can look after himself but it is difficult with Daniel as he will not stay with anyone else, not even his brother.

My hubby works shifts, and I could work around him but in his job sometimes they have to work double shifts if their relief doesn't turn up, if that happens then I am stuck............and this happens often where he works.

As Daniel is always in need of things, the money would come in handy, he wants his own laptop for his learning ,also due to his learning difficulties, and with one wage just coming in with a mortgage to pay it doesn't stretch far.

But like your son they should be entitled to DLA, as they need support and care 24/7, and it feels like they are being discriminated against their rights.

When filling in the form, Daniel ticked a great deal of boxes, in fact more than enough, like i told them on the letter for reconsideration, (if i didn't think my son was entitled to this then I wouldn't of applied for it in the first place) !

I also made a sarcastic comment to them and said I didnt realise my son had to also be disabled like for instance in a wheelchair to qualify for DLA !

I am hoping this will make them think again...........like i said he is 12 going on 13 and at his age he should be having some independence like others of the same age group etc, but I am still walking him to and from school which is a secondary school as he is vulnerable and easily led !

I think if you get a turned down decision, you must not give up, and really have to push for this, until your son Daniel get what he's entitled to.

I hope you get the right decision first time, and i was the same with the post too., nervy etc, and more annoyed just waiting for something that didn't arrive !

I applied in Dec 06 and they e-mailed me on the 16th March 07 to inform me a letter was issued on the 13th March 07 with the decision but they were not allowed to disclose the verdict by email or by phone. I e-mailed to tell them I have not received the letter so they sent a duplicate dated 20th March 07 in which I received on the 22nd March with the decision being turned down, but I acted quickly, in fact on the same day to ask them to reconsider this and sent in more evidence of support along with a letter from my MP.

I will let you know how this goes, as they have agreed by letter that they are reconsidering the claim again.

I do hope you hear soon with the news you've been waiting for !

Yes Daniel is a lovely great name.

And only we know our kids better, I said to them by e-mail, 'I find it difficult to understand why they came to this decision for Daniel, as they have never even met my son' ! I was tamping, but know with keeping on at them we should get somewhere in the end.

(just read your message on the box-give me a few mins and will get back to you on here ok with the DLA Email contact details, as i'm not quite used to using the other thingies on here yet-lol)

Please let me know when you hear-cheers and the very best of luck !

Di xx :thumbs:

Hi again Caroline :robbie:

Hope you received my message, but just in case the details for who i use for email contact is

Wales-DBC-CustomerServices@dwp.gsi.gov.uk

If your not from Wales, I'm sure these will advise you of the details for you direct.

Good luck.

xxxDi :thumbs:

I applied for all three children, bearing in mind that I had been told to think of the worst case scenario for all the questions.

:clap: I have just been awarded DLA for DS1 :clap:

... thanks to the head of Special Needs at his school! :notworthy::notworthy:

:pray::pray::pray: Now I am waiting to hear about the other two :pray::pray::pray:

:gather: :gather: :gather:

Well here's an update!

After I my last post I discovered that Childcare Tax Credit (CTC) increased with 15 year old Martyn's award, as did our Housing/council Tax Benefit (HB) in the form of Disabled Child Premium.

I have now been awarded DLA for 11 year old Keiran - High rate care and low rate mobility.

A second Disabled Child Premium(DCP) was added to the HB with Keiran's DLA award (plus there was an added amount to the second DCP), I don't know what the change will be with Tax Credits as I have only just told the DWP.

But it will probably change the Housing Benefit again - can't wait to find out!!

Ho hum the council just love their bits of paper - I got 12 sheets of A4 sent from Keiran's changes to our award, telling me what his DLA meant for three different time periods between Dec 06 and 2 April.

The wierd thing is that when Martyn got his award the upgrade in CTC was automatic; but not so with Keiran's - can anyone work out these official peeps?

I have had to appeal for 8 year old Rebecca's. Primary school messed it up, the person who filled in the form basically said that her only problem is that she is behind academically.

I went to the C.A.B. who sent a Welfare Rights Advisor to see me at home, I have just got the letter he did for me and his recommendations through (16 pages long) - he has said he thinks Rebecca should be awarded High rate care and low rate mobility.

Then I am told that I should put in a claim for carers allowance too - Yikes!

Hi,

Did you know that over 53% of appeals to DlA tribunals are successful? and a quarter of those succeed as the DLA people had underestimated the level of disability? The more evidence you can collect regarding your son and the way his condition affects him the better.

:robbie:

Hi all.

Just to keep you posted as promised regarding my son's reconsideration of DLA.

My MP's Secretary has been keeping in touch as they promised they will keep me informed if they hear from the DLA who have helped support with a letter for the reconsideration.

The copy of the DLA letter that the MP received was posted to me today, and basically this was to inform my MP that an application to reconsider the decision refusing my son's claim was received on the 22 March 07 and is currently receiving their attention (DLA). They also stated that the MP's support and the information on the letter have been noted and that I will notified of the outcome as soon as possible.

Back soon with hopefully some good news for a change !!

Cheers

Di xx :thumbs:

Just received reply to dla reconsideration, they haven't changed their decision so I am going to tribunal. Have just emailed my MP and I'm looking for an advocate for myself to help me on the big day... Wish me luck!

We're not sure whether we qualify for DLA. Although My husband (with AS) works full time, he doesn't earn a good wage, mainly due to his lack of concentration. I can't work evenings or weekends as he can't cope with the children alone. We can't afford childminders as it's too expensive.

I am the 'organiser', household bills, meals, housework, remembering appointments etc. Do you think we stand a chance with DLA?

My son has just been awarded high rate care and low rate mobility after re-consideration!!!! Im over the moon :dance:

caroline

Hi

Just a reminder.

Applied for DLA for my 12 yr old son in DEC 06

Refused MARCH 07

Refused on reconsideration APRIL 07

Appealed from MAY 07

Now going to tribunal, just received submisson forms, so goodness knows when it will take place as we want a oral hearing option.

Please wish us luck thank you very much.

Di (mum to Dan ASD aspergers - high anxiety levels - some learning difficulties.

xx :thumbs:

I'm applying for DLA for the first time. In section 2 of the form what category does Aspergers come under? Is it *has a learning difficulty* *has a mental health problem* or *has a long term illness?

I'm not applying under the Special Rules so do I still have to send in a doctors DS1500 Report?

I have just applied for DLA for M and been successful. He has been awarded high rate care and low rate mobility. As well as now getting the DLA for him it has meant that my Child Tax credit & Working tax credit has been increased as well.

On the form I put aspergers down as learning disability, mental health and long term illness.

good luck to everyone with their claims and appeals x

Edited by ASue67

Pauline, As Sue says tick as many boxes as you can ...

Put all the Special Rules paperwork in the big filing cabinet aka the bin.

Hope you are getting a 'professional' such as 'Parent-2-parent' or CAB to go through it with you because it is a horrid document to fill in.

Louise

Thank so much to you all for your kind advice. I finally managed to complete that horrible DLA form with help from the CAB. It took about 2 hours to complete! It was a total nightmare. :wallbash: Anyway I got a letter back from them this morning saying that they are dealing with my claim. I also received a phone call from them last Thursday just to verify a few things. The guy I spoke to was really helpful & nice. So I should hear back from them soon! :pray:

If I am awarded DLA, does my Child Tax Credits automatically increase or do I have to contact them?

Thank so much to you all for your kind advice. I finally managed to complete that horrible DLA form with help from the CAB. It took about 2 hours to complete! It was a total nightmare. :wallbash: Anyway I got a letter back from them this morning saying that they are dealing with my claim. I also received a phone call from them last Thursday just to verify a few things. The guy I spoke to was really helpful & nice. So I should hear back from them soon! :pray:

If I am awarded DLA, does my Child Tax Credits automatically increase or do I have to contact them?

Only if you are awarded Higher Rate Care Component does the CTC increase. We are currently appealing for the Higher Rate on the advice of our son's consultant.

Only if you are awarded Higher Rate Care Component does the CTC increase. We are currently appealing for the Higher Rate on the advice of our son's consultant.

Hi everyone

I am new here and have a 8 year old daughter who was diagosed with Aspergers in April 2006. We first claimed DLA for her in July 2006 and were awarded both Care and Mobility at Higher level (she also has a mild physical disibility that affects her ankles and legs). Her DLA is due to be renewed in October and I recently received the claim form which I filled in and returned. They replied saying that her Mobilty was going down to Lower level which both me and my husband disagreed with as she uses her Major Buggy most of the time when we go out - and always if we go somewhere busy like the zoo etc. If we are just popping to the shop or library she does walk, but can be unsteady on her feet and has trouble stepping off kerbs, down steps etc. I always hold her hand when out as she has a poor sense of danger and can be unpredictable. I wrote back to DLA stating all this and more..well got a reply yesterday to say that they were standing with their original decision :tearful: and my only option is to go to a Tribunal. If her Mobilty component goes down then we will loose her Blue Badge as think she has to have Higher rate to have it and we need it to save her legs if we go on a day out somewhere.

Any advice would be greatfully appreciated!

Emma

Hi Jo!

Welcome...I am also going through an appeal process of sorts right now for my son, what a pain in the bum! :wallbash:

I called the DLA and was put through to the RECONSIDERATIONS department, who spent almost an hour going through lots of questions and they gave me lots of advice, really helpful...and kind, I had a major crying wobble while on (t'was a bad day!) and the lady rep was lovely!

They told me to put all my concerns and gripes onto paper and do a "day in the life...." also, so they have a concise overview.

They told me that the High Rate Mobility was awarded for blindness, inability to walk and severe mental impairment (SMI being the catergory my lovely El falls into) and High Rate Care for Night Time Care of at least 5 nights per week I'm up for all 7 with him! . Luckily we have a great consultant who is willing to support us and has written letters to back us.

El was on Mid rate care for past two years and had it reawarded a few weeks back at Mid rate care again with low mobility, his Doctor really disagrees and the lady at the DWP did too! So fingers crossed! Good thing though is we don't have to apply again till 2012!!

Good Luck!

Lisa xx

Edited by ellisisamazing

Thanks Lisa

I did phone the DLA a few weeks ago after I had appealed but not heard anything. According to their guidelines they try to write back to within 10 days, or at least let you know within 10 days that they are still dealing with your claim, problem etc. Anyhow, got put through to a smarmy so-and-so who insisted that they DO NOT write back within 10 days and that I should just wait :wallbash:

Well, guess what I received in the post 2 days later.....yep, a letter from them saying they were still dealing with it and hadn't made a decision yet. :wallbash:

I am def going to see CAB though as last time Niamh got higher rate and, physically, she has improved ever so slightly in some areas but not much.

Emma

Hi jo!

You're welcome and Good Luck with it all, it drives you mad doesn't it?! When I called them I was originally going to appeal but the rep said go for a Reconsideration so I can avoid filling the dreaded forms yet again! They are just adding the additional info to the forms already submitted and the two support letters from El's consultant are included, also one that she wrote to the OT as we have been waiting for 5 months for a Major Buggy and apparentley there at least a further four months to go! :wallbash:

The fact El eats dust, soil, grass and lies down on roads and crossings is serious issue, but apparentley not serious enough to warrant him recieving his buggy promptly! :rolleyes:

I'll keeps my fingers crossed for you!

Lisa xx >:D<<'>

Well I got a letter back today(after waiting about 8 weeks) saying that my son has been knocked back from DLA! I was half expecting it but it really pissed me off! I mean what the hell do these people know? :angry: The reasons they gave me are totally unbelievable! :o They said that he doesn't need help throughout the night! He does as I have to get him up at least 3/4 times to go to the toilet as he wets the bed. I don't know how many times I stated that in the ###### stupid form! I feel as if I'm hitting my head off a :wallbash: Well first thing Monday morning I'm going back up to the CAB to put in an appeal! Hopefully then I may get some luck! :pray:

What really gets me is that there are folk out there who get DLA that shouldn't get it :angry: There's kids like my wee boy that don't & get overlooked! The system totally stinks! It makes me so :sick:!

i have just received the form to apply and dont know where to start. i have a nice lady from the carers centre to say that she would fill the form in for me. so thats good. should i also ask the school to write me out a statement for back up or just leave her to do it all. any help would be appreciated, thanks again.

Hi Pauline

I am so sorry to hear of this and know how you feel, and I was the same, it felt like I was hitting my head against a :wallbash: !!

Is it worth asking for a 'reconsideration' first ?, its up to you, yet we had no joy with this and know others that did.

As you know I will be going to a oral hearing on the 24th of this month, and the reasons the DM used was pathetic, like you said, what do they know ???? :wallbash:

My son is 12, will be 13 in a few months and I am awake almost all night due to his difficulties settling down, the earliest he may sleep is approx 2 am this can be maybe 4 am at most nights.

I still wash his hair, brush his teeth and so on and being a nearly teenager its rare this is normal unless they do have difficulties like ours do.

I still walk my son to and from school, he does not go out alone, and like yourself this was repeated all over the form, but they did not take any of this into consideration.

Whatever you decide to do, the very best of luck to you.

Please keep us posted, cheers :thumbs:

Di xx

Hi

Hope this is some help DS cannot stay in his bed due to anxiety and a terrible feeling that he is floating around the room when he lays down in bed. He needs weighted down to be able to sleep, this can be a very heavy blanket but this causes him to sweat terribly which means his bed and him need changing a few times a night which causes him more stress. To resolve this he needs another person in his bed for when he wakens feeling frightened that he is floating away, too hold and comfort him throughout the whole night plus to assist with his toilet needs. He can not be left alone at all during the night for his own safety, he could also wonder around in a distressed state and harm himself or worse leave the house.

I got word back today on my DLA Appeal for my wee boy & all they said was that they cannot give me a decision yet on the appeal because they have requested a report from his school! I thought that they would have already asked for a school report when I first applied? This is totally doing my head in! :angry: God knows how much longer I'm going to have to wait!!

I called the DLA yet again today with regard to El's reconsideration told be told it would be upto another 5-6 weeks before we have a result!!!! :tearful:

Apparentely his consultant's support letters and my further correspondance have been with the 'decision maker' for three weeks and the original date of me calling them to dispute the award (14 August 2007) has been noted so the full 11 weeks for a decision is what it will take!!! Considering they have all the DLA forms and I have only added further detailed 'snapsnots' and the subsequent changes since sending in the DLA forms in June, I would have thought this would have been dealt with much sooner.....Oh, and apparenetely I "SHOULD BE GRATEFUL" for what El is currently awarded on Middle Rate Care and Low Mobility!!!

I told the rep they "SHOULD BE GRATEFUL AND HOPEFUL THAT I DON'T REPORT THEM FOR TALKING TO ME IN SUCH A MANNER!!" The cheek of it! :ninja:

They are aware of his Night Time activities and also the lack of any stranger danger and running into roads/licking dirt/dust/sand etc, but apparentely he is "a typical boy, by the sounds of it!!"......aarrrrgggggh!

Edited by ellisisamazing

I'm still waiting on word about Aaron's Appeal. Seems to be taking ###### ages! :wallbash: If we win the appeal will they backdate the DLA to when I first applied for it?

Quick Update!!

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!! El got HIGH RATE CARE!!!! :thumbs::thumbs: The jury's still out on the HIGH RATE MOBILITY, but we will know in a few more weeks about that, but he does currently recieve LRM so we are happy enough!

It has taken 8 weeks from beginning off appeal and my big letter (encylopaedia!!), and lots of phone calls from me asking for updates!

A personal phone call from a lovely DLA lady yesterday sealed the deal, and all backadated to June 2007, as that was when El's previous MRC ward was valid from! So happy to finally get High Rate!!!

And all valid now till 2018!!

Quick Update!!

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!! El got HIGH RATE CARE!!!! :thumbs::thumbs: The jury's still out on the HIGH RATE MOBILITY, but we will know in a few more weeks about that, but he does currently recieve LRM so we are happy enough!

It has taken 8 weeks from beginning off appeal and my big letter (encylopaedia!!), and lots of phone calls from me asking for updates!

A personal phone call from a lovely DLA lady yesterday sealed the deal, and all backadated to June 2007, as that was when El's previous MRC ward was valid from! So happy to finally get High Rate!!!

And all valid now till 2018!!

Congratulations! :clap::thumbs: I'm so happy for you! I'm still waiting on Aaron's Appeal so I'm hoping to hear good news! :pray:

Perhaps you could email and ring. :thumbs:

I was lucky enough to email them, but I am also aware that not all can do this.

Think I was given the direct email details to Cardiff who were dealing with Daniel's claim from the DWP themselves.

Good luck, you will get there in the end..............I have proved that too lol, okay it may not have been the rate we hoped our son should have had, but at least he now has this and can go further now if we wanted to.

All the very best to you & fingers crossed. :thumbs::D

Di.

xxxx

Hi everyone, best of luck to you all waiting to hear back from the DLA >:D<<'>

After reading some of your posts i'm now petrified of the outcome of my son's claim :tearful: I set the fom off on the 17th of September & they wrote & thanked me for the claim saying they recieved it on the 19th of September & that they will let me know in writing if the claim has been a sucess (they also mentioned that if i didn't hear anyhingfrom them ater 8 weeks then i was to phone up!! :wallbash: )

In the applicaion form (the 50 page essay should i say!) i filled the form from front to back, enclosed a letter from CAMHS showing Hayden's appointment date next week, two letters from the pead one dated back to 2005 & one was to Hayden's doctor listing all his 'problems', i wrote down all his meds & how much he takes etc, just worried now they will turn us down after all this, i suffer from bipolar & really don't need any more set backs!!

Forgot to mention that in the part of the form which asks for someone to write a statement who knows the child i got the SENco to do this, she is a lovely lady who has been involved with Hayden since reception. Also put down the social worker on the 'who to contact' part

Well folks, good news at last! :thumbs: I finally got word back on my appeal & my DS has been awarded the middle rate of the care component. I am so relieved & happy as I really thought that we would get knocked back again. Unforunately we didn't get the mobility component but I'm going to appeal again for that. I'm also now going to apply for Carer's Allowance.

Hi Pauline

That's good news, even if you didn't get everything you were hoping for, at least it's a start.

:thumbs:

K x

A slight update on the DLA for Hayden, had a letter from them this morning...got all excited when i saw the letter before i opened it.....then i opened it & they said that they have requested a report from the school. I got straight on the phone to the SENCO at my son's school (who i get on very well with...always helps lol) & asked her if she had got the letter from them & she had! & she promised that she would tell them that the school has put in hundreds of pounds funding Hayden having his one to one & extra maths, reading, writing etc with the special needs teacher & teaching support assistant every day & how he has no sense of danger on school trips & how his teaching support has to give him one to one on the trips, so fingers crossed & hopefully whoever it is who deals with his claim is in a good mood, he will be awarded lol!

Any one know how far they back date claims?

Hi Caroline.

Sounds good :thumbs:

Great the school are helping out this way, unlike my son's secondary school, the questions asked...........well........almost all the answers were opposite to what they should have been. So that's good news hun.

And of course the more support and evidence the better. :thumbs:

I will be shocked if this was not awarded, but I'm sure it will be.

They will backdate from the date of application, we applied 22 Dec 06 and this was backdated from then when this was awarded in September 2007, and don't forget to inform Child tax credits, you will get an automatic extra disability element for your child and if awarded the higher rate care there is another extra premium paid on top of the disability element too and...............yes they backdate to when you applied for DLA, thats what I was told and now waiting for this to be sorted out.

If your awarded middle or high rate care you can apply for Carer's allowance, think there is a wage limit on this though, you can earn so much in your own job (its stated on these boards somewhere). Think this is backdated to 3 months, maybe more, someone will know about this on these forums. With Carer's I know it doesn't matter if your other half works or not, as this is a payment for you as the carer.

My fingers are crossed for you, Good luck. :thumbs:

Please let us know how you get on, all the best hun.

Di xx :D

Hi Caroline.

Sounds good :thumbs:

Great the school are helping out this way, unlike my son's secondary school, the questions asked...........well........almost all the answers were opposite to what they should have been. So that's good news hun.

And of course the more support and evidence the better. :thumbs:

I will be shocked if this was not awarded, but I'm sure it will be.

They will backdate from the date of application, we applied 22 Dec 06 and this was backdated from then when this was awarded in September 2007, and don't forget to inform Child tax credits, you will get an automatic extra disability element for your child and if awarded the higher rate care there is another extra premium paid on top of the disability element too and...............yes they backdate to when you applied for DLA, thats what I was told and now waiting for this to be sorted out.

If your awarded middle or high rate care you can apply for Carer's allowance, think there is a wage limit on this though, you can earn so much in your own job (its stated on these boards somewhere). Think this is backdated to 3 months, maybe more, someone will know about this on these forums. With Carer's I know it doesn't matter if your other half works or not, as this is a payment for you as the carer.

My fingers are crossed for you, Good luck. :thumbs:

Please let us know how you get on, all the best hun.

Di xx :D

Hi Di, thanks very much for the good luck wishes, bless ya >:D<<'>

I'm getting quite nervous having read other peeps dealings with the DLA on here, don't know why they make it so darn difficult when people send off supportive evidence to back up their claims, such a shame when everyone on here deserves it & are quite rightly entitled to it. Really makes you want to ask them to look after your child/children for a week....then get an answer back from them....sod the 50 page form LOL

Strange thing is they didn't contact Hayden's paed at all, i did send in a couple of letters from him with the form, but none of them were addressed to them they were both copies he sent to me listing all Hayden's difficulties, one was recent & one was dated 2004 (well anythings worth a try lol) & i sent a letter from CAMHS about Hayden's appointment he had last Friday.

Don't think we'll be entitled to carer's allowance as my husband takes home a lot more than �87 a week.

I'll let you know how i get on, hopefully if there is no postal strike this week (how very dare they have one when i'm waiting for important documents in the post!! :dance: lol) i may hear something end of next week, they did say in the letter this morning that they would write to me as soon as they have heard back from the school.

Caroline xxxx :)