oxgirl

We did it, we did it!!!!

My lad is 14 in November and he's never been left before, always had to have an adult with him, was too scared to walk out alone and too terrified to be left.

We've been working all week on increasing his independence and just now, not five mins ago, we achieved something I was beginning to fear might be years away!! Yes, I left him by the pond examining his snails while I popped to the shop to buy washing powder!! :thumbs::o:clap::groupwave:

Now, I can't tell you what an enormous step this is for us, and I know only you guys will be able to appreciate it! I was gone 6.22 mins. He didn't even bother phoning me on my mobile and hardly glanced up from his snails when I got back. I feel so shell-shocked, I can't believe we've finally done it and it was so painless in the end. A few months ago this wouldn't have been possible and now all of a sudden we've achieved it!! I feel all weird!! :tearful:

Thanks for the support peeps. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Mel and Jay :thumbs::clap::dance:

Great news... an achievement that can only make ALL your lives easier.

Now how do you reverse that in order to make a 13 yo (ie MY 13 yo) aware of your existence? Seems I have the opposite problem unless he's hungry!!!!

Congratulations Mel and J

flora XX

That's fantastic news :thumbs:

If he's anything like Martin he wasn't alone anyway he was with his snails!

Honest....I left Martin when I went to the shops (50 yds away) I asked him if he would be OK on his own and he said: "I'm not on my own, the chinchillas are here!" :lol: :lol:

Thanks guys so much, I knew you'd all understand the significance. >:D<<'>

I can see, to keep up the momentum, I'm going to have to be popping across to the shop on a regular basis for the next few weeks. :lol: Next big step is to get him to go on his own. I've got him strolling round the block, but he does panic at roads and he has to cross quite a busy road to get to the shop, so that might take a bit longer, but I now have faith that we'll get there, whereas I was beginning to lose hope before this week. :clap::wub:

~ Mel ~

Thet's wonderful! :thumbs:

It's a real tribute to your patience and willingness to manage it in small steps until you got there.

Well done for not giving up, that pond was an inspiration!

Snails and a hole in the ground full of water... Always little things that make the big difference, isn't it?

Not to underestimate all the hard work getting him to where the little things could make a difference, though :notworthy:>:D<<'> :thumbs:

Well done you, well done him, well done snails :)

(Hmmmmm, that last sounds like an order in a french restaurant! :lol::lol: )

L&P

BD :D

Thanks everyone so much, it's magical when we can help them to take these steps, isn't it and many would take it for granted, but it's an enormous step for us. He must have felt ready because he didn't try to fight against it and usually he does and it ends up me having to 'make' him do things and him resisting it, but I think he really wants more independence now, which he never did before. He said to me he was 'bored' with not being able to do anything on his own. I'm still in shock really, a couple of months ago I was despairing that it might never come and suddenly here we are!! :tearful::dance:

Need a list of things I can accidentally 'forget' and have to pop over the road for now! :lol:

~ Mel ~

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

fandabby dozey

Made me have a tear in my eye reading that.................like i always say we must never say never....things just take time..............

When my 13 year old son tied his own sho laces a few months ago i cried coz it was something i thought hed never be able to do...........i was on the phone to me sister and mum saying guess what......but they just didnt get why i was so overwellmed.

Brilliant stuff reading things like this.

Cheers Pearl and Paula. :D>:D<<'>

When my 13 year old son tied his own sho laces a few months ago i cried coz it was something i thought hed never be able to do...........i was on the phone to me sister and mum saying guess what......but they just didnt get why i was so overwellmed.

Yes, other people don't get it, do they, I guess they take things like this for granted somewhat. I've tried to explain in an email to my in-laws about our achievement but I can imagine their blank faces reading it. :unsure: That's why it's so great to share our achievements here with people who really understand. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~