Where are you based?  

643 members have voted

1. 1. Where are you based?

• England
    • Scotland
    • Wales
    • Europe (non UK)
    • Other

thank you annie. :) his son is now 20 and the school and lea failed him completely. they called my friend and his ex wife bad parents, lost all relevent information relating to there case and refused to accept his as. his son now has panic attacks when he leaves the house and wont even speak to his father. i wondered if anyone had any ideas on how to cope with an older boy with as?

Hi Mel,

My son (Alex) will be 16 this month, school failed him too. Our LEA tried to fail him, but after fighting them for most of this year, I have got the education that 'suits' my son.

My take on calling people 'bad parents' really means 'we don't understand your child, don't want to, so we're going to blame you for their problems instead'. We've had snidey remarks like that before too. Strangely, it was said by a deputy head that didn't realise that I had another son at the school (13 months younger). The youngest one has never been in any trouble to this day. So I guess we were only bad parents to our Asperger's son :wacko:

I will leave giving advice to others on here , Carole, Nellie, where are you? as they both have older son's and I know their advice would be more helpful.

Annie

>:D<<'>

Hello everyone,

My name is Kieran.

To give a little background: im 25, live in County Durham and was diagnosed with Aspergers two years ago (feel like i'm in an AA meeting!)

My oldest sister was diagnosed with mild AS at the same time as me and her son has AS and ADHD. My second sister is Neuro-typical, but has married a man with mild AS (diagnosed last year) and of their two sons, the oldest has Tourettes Syndrome and the youngest has Oppositional Defiance Disorder.

If you can make any sense of that you'll realise that the cynics who say ASD's are not inherited can stick that theory somewhere unpleasant..!

I've been looking for a while for a forum of some description, that will keep me up to date with news and subjects related to AS and ASD's. So hopefully, i've found it here.

I figure that most of you are parents with children, or adults that know children with AS/ASD, most people in the world seem to be! If any of you want any opinions of what these kids may face in the future, then i'll be happy to venture my opinion - i'm not saying i'm an expert or anything, but i figure when it's coming from the horses mouth (so to speak), then my opinion carries a little more weight than most (Then again, i have AS so my opinion is probably quite narrowminded!!!)

For adults in the NOW, with AS there is little in the way of support, but if a few of us have to be the trailblazers and pathfinders for future generations, then it's not such a bad thing.

It would be nice to know if there are any other AS adults on the forum. Once you've sucked every lastbit of info out of the Jessica Kingsley publications (amongst others), you tend to realise you're pretty much stuck with it and fending for yourself!

Anyway enough of the depressing talk.

Hope this message finds you all well.

All the best.

The Reclusive Giraffe otherwise known as Kieran!

Hi Keiran,

Welcome to the forum >:D<<'>

This is the AS 'place to be' ;) with lots of great people.

There are lots of AS adults here too, some around your age as well. Thank you for offering advice, you may regret saying that, I can see the line starting to grow to ask you questions already :lol:

Annie

X

Welcome Keiran :)

This is a great place, I hope you stay.

My husband was diagnosed with AS a couple of years ago at the age of 52. My eldest son (27) was diagnosed with autism at 19, my youngest son (24) was diagnosed with AS a few months ago.

Love them to bits. :wub:

Nellie xx

Guest flutter

welcome kieran

i am a mum to a newly diagnosed girl aged 11 and a nt son age 15

this place is great and the peeps helpful to all

C x

hello, something vague here.

I've been lurking for months and decided that it was time to reveal myself!!!!!!!!

I was introduced to the site by a fellow student - I'm doing an online course on Autism. By the way hi Helen, I'll try to be sensible here.

I am a teaching assistant, formally known as a special support assistant, formally known as nursery nurse at an Autism Centre in a secondary school. I support 4 autistic boys who have severe learning difficulties. It is a brilliant job, tiring but exciting. There is never a dull moment and our boys are always finding ways to stretch our problem solving skills. Its sometimes hard to tell who is doing the teaching and who are the learners. Well in reality we are all learning something new every day!

A question - I can see the usefullness of the smilies but whats with the bunny????? :robbie:

Well, I thought it could show if you were a

:lol::robbie:

(A happy bunny)

or

:(:robbie:

(A sad bunny)

or you could tell someone to :robbie: (hop) to it!

I dunno? Just guessing. Welcome to the forum.

Guest GILBO!

Hi im **** ******* i go to the same school as my good friend Auriel , but dont board and my social worker says im special!

Edited by bid

Hi im **** ******* i go to the same school as my good friend Auriel , but dont board and my social worker says im special!

you sure are special

Hi Gilbo!

As a bossy moderator, and Auriel's mum, I was a bit worried that you posted your full name.

So I've deleted it, because I think it might be best to be known by your user name?

Bid :)

Guest GILBO!
Hi Gilbo!

As a bossy moderator, and Auriel's mum, I was a bit worried that you posted your full name.

So I've deleted it, because I think it might be best to be known by your user name?

Bid :)

Well its just a nickname based on my real surname, and i dont think we have any psychopaths here, but ok.

Edited by GILBO!

Phasmid,

Thanks, I think that today I'm a B):robbie: , thanks also to Mossgrove for the extra info. If Robbie gets lonely I would recommend a guinea pig, they a brilliant pets and I'm sure a GP would make a lovely smiley.

Do I dare ask what this is :george:

Do I dare ask what this is  :george:

It is GEORGE

And i hug him, and pet him, and stroke him and love him

Oh George, George, my little pet...

GOSH it's hot...

:george:

Welcome, Gilbo (and anyone else I've failed to greet since last in), welcome aboard... Any friend of A's is a friend of all of us... perhaps you could ask him where that next installment of his book got to :lol::lol::lol:;) Too busy reading the Daily Mail, I'd guess...

BD :D

hi to owain kieran and mel and anyone else ive missed. I always froget to come into the welcome forum when i peruse the post so sorry a bit belated.Mel i am still trying to work out how to cope with a 19 year old so im affraid my input isnt of much use its gotta be down to the others. lynn

Guest GILBO!

Do I dare ask what this is� :george:

It is GEORGE

And i hug him, and pet him, and stroke him and love him

Oh George, George, my little pet...

GOSH it's hot...

:george:

Welcome, Gilbo (and anyone else I've failed to greet since last in), welcome aboard... Any friend of A's is a friend of all of us... perhaps you could ask him where that next installment of his book got to :lol::lol::lol:;) Too busy reading the Daily Mail, I'd guess...

BD :D

Auriel read's the Daily Mail?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Guest flutter

welcome to those just arrived

gilbo, the daily mail is a paper for us with little brains who cannot fold and unfold big papers

B)

Hi and welcome to those who are new.

My son J likes me to put the bunny in my messages so i'll do it even though he's at school at the moment!

:robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie:

Thought I'd drop in here and say HI I'm back, we've moved and are now drowning in another chaos of schools but hey thats why I love my life :bat:

Hi to all the newbies, its great to be back in the land of internet again, things might get back on track now.

HHxx

Hi. I'm new here. I have a 7 year old son who was diagnosed with HFA, with underlying ADHD , and mild dyspraxia, after a turbulent start to school at nursery. I haven't been on forums for a long time, because from age 5-7 I was home educating and our troubles were not really as much of an issue. I have just recently put him back into school and am suddenly reminded of the difficulties his ASD present. So I am back to the drawing board. I myself have ADD, and social communication difficulties. So its all fun at our house :wallbash: no, really :lol::jester:

Guest GILBO!
welcome to those just arrived

gilbo, the daily mail is a paper for us with little brains who cannot fold and unfold big papers

B)

Pffft, the only good use for a newspaper is eating youre chips off it. :)

Oh no Mother Eve, look what you've done!

You really shouldn't have let those rabbits loose on one screen - bet your son will like this :)

Baddad and Little Nemo, I feel so stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I look at my avatar I see a fire ball walking towards the left of my screen carrying a hanky full of his belongings with smoke comming out of the place where his head should be.

My son looked and said 'Hey, I like your cute orange giraffe.' :george: (walking towards the right of my screen with cute head, big eys and wispy tail)

It just doesn't hold the same mystery any more. Never mund, I still love it.

By the way, Hello to Strange girl. I'm a teaching assistant and this forum has really opened my eyes to the struggle you parent's have to ensure that your kids get the services and treatment that they deserve. I think all TAs and Teachers should have a read then perhaps they would be a little more considerate and understanding when dealing with autistic children and their parents.

I hope that your son settles into school and is given the support that he needs :)

Hi folks,

My name is Donna Williams and I feel like I've been around forever in the Autism world. My first book came out in 1991 and changed the stereotypes of Autism that today's diagnoses reflect. Many of you diagnosed as adults would have been diagnosed after recognising yourself in Nobody Nowhere. For that I would like to say, I hope that helped open up a world of help and understanding to you. I went on to write a total of 9 published books in the field of Autism, did 7 DVDs and 2 CDs, a mountain of artworks and sculptures and basically feel very ARTistic! Its funny but I was never really creative! As I became less Autistic I became more Artistic. I'm sure I was always Artistic but my ARTism was hidden, part of my Autism and I had no understanding or interest in showing or sharing my inner world. Today I'm pretty cool with that.

Anyone interested in finding out what I've been up to is very welcome to visit me at my website.

I wish you all company, community and self acceptance.

Warmly,

Donna Williams *)

autistic author of 9 books in the field of autism.

ever the naughty autie.

Donna,

A very warm welcome to the forum. :)

I have read a few of your earlier books and have your recent book, Exposure Anxiety - The Invisible Cage on my bookcase, but I have yet to find the time to read it.

I attended your talk in May and found it very interesting.

Best Wishes

Nellie xx

Hi Donna and welcome,

My 16 year old daughter is an avid reader of your books and they have helped her so much to understand herself. She was only recently diagnosed with ASD and recognises herself in much of what you write. So thankyou for that. :)

Your books are also helping me as a parent to understand autism and I am currently reading "Somebody Somewhere".

K

Oh no Mother Eve, look what you've done!

:robbie:  :robbie:  :robbie:  :robbie:  :robbie:

:robbie:  :robbie:  :robbie:  :robbie:  :robbie:

You really shouldn't have let those rabbits loose on one screen - bet your son will like this  :)

J loved it - thanks - but now he's being a PITA and won't let me change the screen! I'm going to log off and watch the X factor.

Hi Donna - I've learnt so much about my son by reading your books

Welcome, Donna :)

Ten years ago I was sure there was more to my son than Dyspraxia, but I didn't know what...and I found your books in my local library. Together with Lorna Wing, you helped me begin to understand my son. Thank you!

I'm so excited to think you are on our forum :dance:

Bid :wacko:

Welcome to the forum Donna,

Annie

:)

PS - We lived in Melbourne for 7 years. My son was diagnosed with Asperger's at MH Sky, Travencore, Flemington..........We hope to return to Melbourne when my son finishes school here next year.