643 members have voted

1. 1. Where are you based?

• England
    • Scotland
    • Wales
    • Europe (non UK)
    • Other

A warm welcome to all new members. :)

You have found the right place for information, support and understanding.

Best wishes

Nellie xx

Alli,

I have just looked at the DrPhil website and have to say I totally agree with what asereht has said.

I certainly wouldn't recommend this site to anyone with autism, that of course includes Asperger Syndrome.

Nellie xx

Hi everyone this is my first time

im wendy, i have 5 children connor 9,chelsie 8,callum 7, keyah 3 and george 1, im married to kev.

connor was diagnosed adhd 2 1/2 yrs ago, had a multiey agency meeting last week he is now awaiting appointment for aspergers and dyspraxia assesment.

lifes very up and down at the moment its great to find somewhere i can talk to other people in similar situations.

dont want to go on too much

bye for now

wendy

:D Nellie and asereht

Found aspects of Dr Phil good. Of course it isn't a model specically for children with AS. Like anything else different things will work with different children. With everything I read I gain more confidence thats why I suggested the site.

Alli

Edited by Alli

hiya everyone. ;)

I am new although i have posted a few times, I thought i should introduce myself!

I have two boys k is 9 and has a dx of ADHD AS and learning difficulties and C who is 6 so far seems NT!. :huh:

K was dx with ADHD when he was around 4. He was only in jan this year he got a dx of AS too. We always believed that he had more than just ADHD, so it didn't really come as a such great shock when he was dx with AS. :blink:

He now has just had his statement amended, so hopefully now he will get the help that he has needed for years!,

Well thats us.

i have found this site great!. its good to know you're not alone. Also to find out things you never knew about! like things you can claim,( links from nellie! )

etc etc

thanx to all!!. >:D<<'>

Take care

sel, :lol:

Welcome to the newbies who have just arrived! :) I know you will be welcomed by everyone else too. B)

I'd like to take this opportunity to reassure you all that differences of opinions are allowed on this forum! :) Sometimes, even encouraged! This gives us a wealth of information, techniques, and methods to try when attempting to make life better for our families. Keep the idea's coming,....take any 'discussion' as healthy chit-chat,...and don't take differences of opinion to heart. Sometimes we have to agree to disagree! :) We pride ourselves on having a forum where topics don't get personal! Thanks a million to all of you who actively keep things this way.

Respect!!! :D

Elefan

xx

Alli,I wasn't offended by your post I just don't agree with the dr phil advice for teens with aspergers/autism. I didn't mean any offence by my post and hope there was none taken. I have pm'd you

Hi my name is Debbie and I have 3 children Ross 12, Tanya 8 and Karina 4. Ross has just been dx with asperger's which adds to dyspraxia and adhd that had been dx at 6. Its great to find this forum as it has been an uphill struggle to get things done as you always seem to be fighting the system. At his first school everyone was used to his quirky ways and there was always a child worse than him that needed to see the ed psych . Then we moved and he changed schools (nightmare). First few weeks everything ok but then the bullying started as the others realised he was different. Then an incident that resulted in him biting a child and Ross saw the ed psych (funny that). Loads of info for transferring to secondary school and all the supprt he would get etc etc... Transfered to secondary and all this supposed help wasnt there senco at the time just didnt seem to reply to phone calls or letters. Again the first few weeks were ok then it all started the taunting the teasing the bullying etc.. He also had three detentions in one week for various things (funny thing though ross didnt mind as he said it meant he didnt have to hide behind bushes and trees until certain people went home). Constantly on the phone to the school but with no luck. Then more detentions then I dreaded the phone ringing as it was a daily thing for one of the teachers to phone and say there has been an incident etc etc. The whole of his tutor group had a meeting with the head of year so they could explain that ross was different and not to tease him. Then the final straw constant teasing by one girl ended up with Ross retaliating and biting{dejavue} This time ross was excluded for 3 days{much to the sencos annoyance} Investigations revealed that there had been alot more bullying incidents than the school realised {in fact 24 sheets of A4 paper} listing things that each member of the tutor group or teachers could recall for the 3 months he had been there. And suprise suprise the ed psych became involved again {I hasten to add though that ross hasnt seen the ed psych only I have} Senco have been brilliant coming to hospital and ot appointments with me and to the police station {oh yes the biting incident girl made a formal complaint to the police and ross ended up with a reprimand on his record.} Ed psych said no need to statement him!!! so I made a request to the lea and they have refused to do an assesment so appeal tribunal here I come.

oops sorry rather long post considering I only wanted to the say that the info on here is invaluable and been a godsend and to know there is support out there from people in similar situations is a lifesaver. so just a big thankyou and hello to everyone...

Hi debbie , sorry to hear you've been having a hard time we have all been there.

Hope things get better soon.

This site is great for advice or just to talk.

Take care >:D<<'> Theresa

>:D<<'>

Hi - I am Melissa, mum to nearly 4 yr old Christopher who has Autism. Christopher is a lovely little lad who is a very mellow and content boy - to relaxed sometimes!!! He is non-verbal and has severe learning disabilities. It is for that reason he attends a school for children with complex needs.

I am on a couple of other sites and find it really helps to have somewhere to escape to where everyone understands what you are going through.

Look forward to posting in the future!!

Hi there

I am Blossom, who is mum to ds aged 7 and dd nearly 6.

Dd has dx of a pragmatic langauge disorder and although doesn't fit the criteria for an asd does have autistic traits. I think we have decided that the best thing is to sit and wait for a couple of years as I think (hopefully) things should become clearer by then!

Dd is in a SALT unit attached to a mainstream school and is doing very well. She is following an intensive NHS SALT run social skills programme which seems to be making a lot of difference.

I look forward to meeting some of you :D

Blossomx

Have been posting for a while without formal introduction. I'm Jo Mum of two girls aged nearly 8 and 11. 11 year old undx AS. Beginning to wonder whether husband isn't just difficult and therefore should say yes to inherited on poll.

Just wanted to say how wonderfully welll everyone out there is doing and between us we have such great expertese that we should all get qualified and do our own diagnoses!!!??? :lol:

Thanks for alll your support so far. >:D<<'>

Hi to all,

We forgot to introduce ourselves!

We are Sophie :wub: and Mark :wallbash: . We are aged 26 and 42 respectively, and have been together 4 years, (in about 12 minutes!!), and married for nearly two.

We have two children, Kizzy-Leah :devil: who is 7, and has ADHD, and possibly/probably in tandem with Aspergers or ODD or something!!

We have a 30 month old boy named Callum, :ninja: who is, so far, normal! (Whatever that is!)

Kizzy-Leah is Sophies daughter by her late ex husband, but she is Marks little girl and the only "steps" we have in the house are on Kizzy's "Pop Party" CD

We both try to involve as much humour during our dark days as possible.

We have found this place most helpful, or at least supportive, and touching and human.

We hope to get a lot from it in the future, as well as supporting others.

Thanks for the advice already, and the kind and thoughtful words.

Edited by williamsaffire

hi all,

I'm Jo, I live with my partner & my two kids in washington, tyne & wear. My son Morgan is 8 & my daughter Alice is 19 months.

We had an initial diagnosis with a paediatrician last week who thinks that Morgan has mild aspergers. This is a shock & a relief all at the same time, Morgan was described as naughty at his old school, it was only last april when we moved & he changed school that we made a breakthrough. The school he's attending now is an inclusive school & the teachers there noticed his symptoms within 4 weeks of him starting.

We are now on that long road of getting a final diagnosis & working with school to get what is best for him, I'm feeling pretty lost, none of my friends have children, let alone children who are special so I don't really have anyone to talk to, I'm hoping to get some support from here

:)

Jo

Welcome to all new members :)

I hope you all find the support and information you are looking for. The natives are very friendly and helpful.

Best wishes

Nellie xx

Hi Jo

I live just along the road from you in Wearmouth - next to the Stadium - OH JOY :lol: I have two sons with ASD. David almost 18 with AS and Matthew 8 with High Functioning Autism.

We do have a local support group if you are interested? It would be nice to hear from you.

Carole

Hi Jo,

I'm Julie, I live in Washington too. Have a 6 year old ds with ASD/AS. We are part of a Home Edding Group for ASD kids and meet in Washington every week. If you'd like to come along you're very welcome. If you fancy a grumble or two, we're always around! Welcome on board. :party:

Hi there,

My name is Sarah, i live in Leyland, lancashire. Im married to darron have have 3 children, Eleanor (12), Ethan (7) and Errin (4).

I came across this site in my quest to find answers to the question......does my son have AS. Personally i think yes, all the little traits he has, the obsessions with things, even his teacher at school has said he is 'different', although at school he doesnt act the way he does at home.

The question i ask is, what do i do next, who do i go to. We had a child health worker assess him a couple of years ago but she said there was nothing wrong, i just feel as though i will laughed out the doctors surgery.

Please, any help would be appreciated

Hi Sarah, welcome to the forum, :)

Your problem is a common one. It will help if your read some of the many postings on here, you may or may not start to recognise some features that fit your son.

As a mother, you know your son best. I suggest you start taking notes about your son, behaviours that you think may be 'unusual'. You are aiming to produce a profile of your son that you may want to show to professionals in the future, it will also help you see the bigger picture. Carry a notebook around with you so you can make notes at the time.

although at school he doesnt act the way he does at home.

This is common for all children, but some children with ASD can present quite differently at school, masking their difficulties.

You will find lots of support and information here.

Nellie >:D<<'>

hi i'm cjsmum,

i'm a married mum of four (3boys/1girl) our youngest son who's 10 has finally got

a dx of AS and ADHD. this has taken nearly 8 years to achieve but hopefully now

he will get the help he needs!!!!!!! but i won't hold my breathe.

finding this forum has been a great help as i'm going through hell at the mo. i think a dx is only the start of the battle of getting people to accept ASD kid and its not only the professionals!!! i'm sorry got carried away there.

welcome to the forum cjsmum

I too have 4 children. Sam has just turned 11 and is dx ADHD/AS. Took us 8 years to get the AS dx in March this year, though his was dx ADHD a couple of years ago. Is your son on medication for his ADHD?

It was a race against time for us to have the full dx before he starts secondary school in September, its a battle all the way! Having the dx really does help though, without it I don't know where I'd start. We're just beginning on a management plan for his secondary transfer - so we'll see what happens!

This forum is fantastic. I've not been here that long but it has made so much difference to how I feel, I know it will for you too. I wish I'd found it years ago.

Hope to talk with you soon

Kazzdt

hello everyone, my names maggie and I have an AS son called TJ. I found this site a coulpe of days ago and have found it really helpful. I'm very down at present as my son and husband clash terribly. My husband cannot deal with TJ's condition at all and this is my biggest battle. I was reading a couple of comments about twins- TJ has a twin sister and they were born prematurely.

Hi Maggie,

Welcome! :) I'm pleased you find the forum helpful.

Have a look at cjsmum's posting - Help!!!, parent and child at loggerheads. It's a similar problem to yours, you may find the answers helpful.

I have replied to your personal message.

Nellie xx

Welcome to all the new members.

I too have four children, three girls and a boy. The eldest two boys (5 and 7) have Aspergers and ASD respectively.

This is the right place to come for people who understand what you are going through.

Simon

hi maggie just read your post im karin have identical twin boys am awaiting dx for aspergers they have adhd my twins were born prematurely as well 6 weeks early hope you like the forum only been on it since march but what a life saver for me people are soo helpful even if you feel down some of the postings cheer you up well keep smilin luv karin xx

hi, new here, i am 39yrs. housewife and mum to 3 boys, 1 girl. myself and youngest son, j.age 13 were diagnosed 2 months ago with aspergers.hoping to find any help, advice re-school. j is in secondary mainstream sch. as well as aspergers he has mild dyspraxia ,we are having big problems at school,who did not believe j. had aspergers untill he was diagnosed, they just said he was naughty, he has now been put on school action plus, but he has hardly been into school for last 3 months as the teachers are awful with him, despite the senco saying he has informed all the staff of j diagnosis there seems to be no change in there attitude towards him and no offers of help in class.he went into school yesterday for 1 hour and his teacher said to him, if you want to stay in this class you had better behave, so j just spent the lesson playing with the spring in his pen and did nothing else.school have reported us to ewo for j having so much time off, but think he would have had a nervous breakdown if we had not let him stay off. j has no tutor class in sch as she refuses to have him in her class.we are getting desperate and dont know who to talk to that will listen to us and help. hope all this is not to confusing. never posted before , thanks

Hi

My name is Melanie, I am married to Colin, I have 4 boys 14yrs,11yrs,8yrs and 14months. J has a diagnosis of high functioning autism and ADHD.J is very,very, verbal and doesn't mind who he shares his views with,which makes life very interesting. J has quite a lot of challenging Behaviours He is my 8 yr old as you can imagine I am kept really busy. I have also just taken on the role of Branch Officer of N.A.S Flintshire Branch, Quite scary but I'm enjoying the challenge.

Hello

I'm the mum of two boys. My husband is a shift worker and I go to college three days a week.

My youngest son (he turns 14 in July) has recently moved to his second High School. He's in second year. He has not been able to settle since Primary 5. We have moved him twice by choice (he thought it was a good idea both times) to different schools as he was being treated as if he had behavioural problems. We love him to bits and can't understand why others don't feel the same!

We suspected ADD (ADHD without the Hyperactivity) and after speaking to Enquire.org we sought the guidance of our local authority Chief Educational Psychologist who has been a wonderful support. After talking to us at great length, meeting us and our son, he has told us that Aspergers is staring him in the face. That was quite a revelation. He even said it's surprising the professionals had not picked it up before now.

I did some surfing on the net, found a list of signs of Aspergers, printed it out to show my husband. My elder son found it, asked, what is this, I told him. He said, I have all of those things. It hit us right between the eyes! He is right - his behaviours and personality is almost exactly as the list described. By the way, he is now studying Music at college and having a wonderful time there. He was branded "eccentric" at High School.

Sorry this post is so long. I've registered to find out more about Aspergers. We know very little about how to help our son(s). We have the full support of the Chief Ed. Psych. thankfully. He is putting support in place in our younger son's High School once the new timetables start in June.

Should we do nothing more for our older boy? He is now 19 and happy as a lark at college. We love him dearly and are very proud of him.

Our younger son, we are awaiting an appointment with our local CAMHS unit for assessment. They have told us it should be in May or June. He is coping really well and we are so proud at how he has handled the school move.

Anyway, I wanted to say hello and give you a "brief" :rolleyes: introduction to our family. nittenlass

Hi just wanted to say hello and welcome to all new members you will find all the help you need on this site everyone is great and finding this site has been a great help to me

Theresa