Sign in to follow this  
Kathryn

Statutory Assessment

Hi all,

Just to tell you the good news that the LEA have finally decided to assess my daughter. :):thumbs: I heard it directly from the official who was so sceptical and hostile to me back in October when this battle began. It was a sweet, sweet moment. :devil::devil:

I know it's only the first stage in the process of getting the statement, and we still have a long fight ahead of us, probably with more opposition, but at last we can begin to move on and make progress. :pray:

Ironically I was up all night last night, (till 5.30 to be precise), writing the case statement for tribunal. :wallbash: I posted it off a couple of hours before I got the decision.

I'm relieved we don't have to go to tribunal, (yet! :wacko: ) but so very angry that we have been put through all this stress just to get to this point. :angry: The LEA will never be called to account for the impact it has had on our family. :(

I'm going to have a Gwyneth Paltrow moment :tearful:>:D<<'> and just say thankyou to everyone on this wonderful forum for your advice and encouragement throughout these months - without you I wouldn't have found the strength to persist or even known what was possible.

I'm aware that there are a lot of people on here going through really tough times at this moment, especially with education, and I hope this encourages you just to hold on to what you want for your child and keep persevering and not listening to all the negative people who tell you what can't be done. >:D<<'> Stay strong!

exhausted but a lot happier,

K

Edited by Kathryn

Hi Kathryn,

Well done and now - rest up for a while - this next part seems to take forever.

Then - gird your loins (I think girls have loins!) and let the battle begin.

Big Huggles

HelenL

Well done Kathryn -

That news is like a golden ray of sunshine breaking through a grey and cloudy sky to illuminate a morning mountain peak in...

Oh, no... That's your avatar... Sorry... ;)

Great news - keep on keeping on

L&P

BD :D

>:D<<'> :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:B):notworthy:

You've been to hell and back to get this far. So many people are having such a hard time at the moment, it's wonderful to log on and read some good news.

As you said, there are some more hurdles to overcome, but if you are still up and reading this, it's time to pour yourself a big drink, then go to bed for a well-earned rest.

Simon

Great news Kathryn, well done! :clap::clap::clap:

Remember, don't withdraw your appeal until you receive written confirmation of the Authority's intention to assess your daughter.

Thanks everyone :)

Don't worry Helen, even my short experience since September has taught me to take everything I hear from the LEA with a large grain of salt until it has been signed sealed and triple - checked. :wacko:

As it happens I got the letter today with the official decision. I also got a copy of their letter to SENDIST stating they do not wish to oppose the appeal and are going to assess. Do you think the letters would look best in gold or silver frames?

:devil::devil:

I know there are tough battles ahead so I'm enjoying the moment while I can. :)

K

Well done Kathryn. B)

I can't believe they refused in the first place. They knew they wouldn't stand a chance at tribunal and would end up looking pretty silly.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Lisa

Thanks Lisa,

I think you're right. Part of me was almost looking forward to hearing them trying to justify themselves at tribunal. I'm just angry it took this long and they let us go right up to the case statement deadline. I think they knew three weeks ago they were going to make this decision. :angry:

The very best of luck for yours next week, by the way. I'll be thinking of you. :pray:

K

Thanks Kathryn

Our case is looking quite good at the moment. We decided to splash out on some additional private assessments. The assistant director of education is going to look at our case again this afternoon in light of the new evidence and make a decision whether to intervene or carry on with the tribunal. I don't want to say too much about our case until after Wednesday as you never know who's watching but like you, part of me wants to go ahead with this tribunal and watch the Senco squirm. :devil:

Lisa

Kathryn,

Sorry, I'm late finding this. I'm chuffed to pieces for you but :angry: that it had to go this far. You have done a great job, well done. :clap::clap:

Lisa,

Everything is crossed for you this week. Good luck

Nellie xx

Kathryn

We're very happy :D happy for you! :D

Sounds like a great battle fought and won, well some of it anyway :ph34r:

I'll raise a glass for you and yours :jester:

may the road rise up to meet you even more

drift

They've spent six months trying to destroy us, now the LEA are inviting us to tea. :wacko::lol:

We got a letter from parent partnership inviting us to a meeting to learn more about the statutory assessment process and meet the officials dealing with our child's case and to meet other parents going through it. It will be an informal meeting with refreshments.

It seems like a good idea but...

Is it a plot? :ph34r::o

Will the tea be safe to drink? Or is it the biscuits I should avoid? :unsure:

Other parents will be there - that makes me suspicious. Perhaps they're just luring us there - all the troublesome parents - and once we have been lulled into a sense of false security they'll drug us and transport us somewhere far far away.... :o

If I don't log on next Thursday evening, somebody call Scotland Yard. :devil::lol:

Just an update on the statutory assessment "information meeting" on Thursday.

We didn't get offered any tea. :lol:

Apart from the parent partnership person, there was only one LEA official there: turned out to be the woman who has been giving me so much hassle over all these months. :ph34r:

I was sitting right near her, her neck was in easy reach of my hands, but I resisted the impulse to wring it. :devil:

We all sat round this table, a bunch of about ten parents, all of whom were at the Stat. Ass. stage, although I think there was only one other parent with an autistic child, and only one other who had had problems. She talked through the process, although thanks to this forum I knew most of the details already.

What was good was the chance to look this woman in the eye and point out how deeply flawed the whole assessment and statementing process is from a parent's point of view. I told her it had been a very stressful year for us generally, but three quarters of that stress was directly due to our dealings with the educational system. I said that the whole system was designed to shut parents out, we did not feel respected or listened to and our views should carry more weight than they do as we know our children best, and anyone else assessing the child is getting at best, a snapshot. She responded that it was the educational needs that were being considered, and parents could only report what was going on at home. So I said in the case of ASD, what happens at home is directly related to what goes on at school and you can't separate the two.

My husband questioned her about the openness of the panels which make decisions on whom to assess. She confirmed that they don't give out the names of those who sit on the panels and she also said parents can't see the minutes because they don't take any (?). He pointed out that the health service would never be able to get away with a similar lack of user involvement and independent advocacy.

She said that when a request is turned down, it goes to another panel to be moderated. This is worrying, as my daughter's request was turned down by two separate panels, and 8 people sit on each panel, this confirms that there are at least 32 stupid people involved in education in this county. :wacko:

We were very polite and calm and restrained during all of this, (amazingly :wacko: )and she said she would note our comments, but she didn't write anything down, as my husb pointed out later. Still, it was satisfying to be able to meet her face to face, and to see that these people who have such power over our lives operate out of a scruffy little building on an industrial estate.: it de-mythologises the whole business.

Edited by Kathryn

Hi Kathryn,

This whole secret panel thing has really got me mad over the last month and I too have been insisting on minutes. I have insisted that I was given some documentation as I did not believe that an officer of the LEA can present the parents point of view to a panel when they are in opposition to the parents about something.

What I have got, is the "outcome" sheet from the panel meeting, and although it does not contain much information, it contained enough for me to be able to accuse the LEA of being less than impartial and also of being very selective about what was placed before the panel.

As a consequence, I am allowed to place evidence, not previously presented, before the panel, this thursday. I am not allowed to be there, but I have written a report and made reference to paragraphs in the expert reports that I wish them to consider and hopefully it has been written in such a way, that it can not be tampered with. (last panel meeting was only given part of the "parents contribution!!)

This was not about Statutory Assessment but about parents choice of school. They may come back with the same decision but at least I will know that my information has been placed before them.

I think you can keep requesting that information is placed before the panel indefinately.

Nellie may know the answer to this one.

Keep fighting - it is never over until the fat lady sings!!!

HelenL

Hi Helen,

The whole system is ripe for reform. I know my husband would like to make this whole panel thing his especial crusade.

When I asked my favourite LEA official how, if there was no independent representation and we couldn't see the minutes how we would know if the decision making process had been objective and fair her response was..."It's fair because we tell you it is." Her exact words.

K

Hi Kathryn,

Isn't it sad that this is happening in different LEA's (as far as I know we do not have the same one!). You can ask for the outcome sheet or whatever is the euqivalent in your LEA. It is worth it, because when I read our outcome sheet - I came across as a stroppy old cow! - nothing could be further from the truth!!!!!

If I was on a panel, and not given positive input from parents, I can understand how they reach decisions that are not favourable.

It took me a long time to get the paperwork but I insisted that there must be a record of some description as it would need to be relied upon if there was a judicial review. Keep pestering - it is the only way to bring the scandal of these secret meetings into the forefront.

Your husband is quite right to want to make it his pigeon - I despair about what kind of country we live in.

Best wishes

Mrs Stroppy (not really, I am quite nice - but like all of us, ferocious about my kids)

We were lucky Max's panel meeting is held at our CDC, and our lovely CDC staff gave us the name of the person who chairs it and says yey or nay, cus it pigs them off how it all works and the LEA secrecy. I then got onto the LEA website and found his email address. From there I have been in the great position to bug him via email. I also phone him on the day of a panel meeting with a silly question, just to put me into his head on the day, one of Max's PLA workers advised me to do this. Don't know if its worked, but the bloke definately remembers me and has said so at the panel meeting, cus Ive had a right laugh with Max's portage worker, also on the panel about it.

Jo