brooke

school strike!!

One of mine is.............possibly.............maybe............. :rolleyes:

if I'm lucky they'll tell me for definite before Thursday morning!!

Oh the joys.

Guest Lya of the Nox

like to see meggzies try lol

they are taking some kids abroad for a few days

why are they striking

x

Yes, two of mine off (separate schools) one not off. Get ready for a meltdown on Thursday when T's older brother and sister are off and he has to go to his hated school.

Janey

Half the classes at DS3's school will be 'shut', but not the whole school (and not his class), and as far as I know DS1's and DS2's is open - I guess I'd better check t make sure or I could be for a bit of a surprise!!!

I think it has something to do with pay, working conditions and class sizes.

:wallbash: and the constant flow of new initiatives, without resources or adequate training to back them up.

It's been over 20 years since we last went on strike.

We all informed our Head before Easter, and she sent a letter to parents before the end of term detailing which classes are teacherless for the day.

My son's school sent a letter today, saying that the school is closed on Thursday.

It has been in the papers for the last couple of weeks, but only a footnote on page 8.

Edited by Bard

Obviously our school isn't off because we haven't heard anything.

I'm in total agreement with this strike. I think what the teacher are asking for would not only benefit them, but would also benefit the kids.

Flora

got a letter today saying that although 7 of the teachers at katies school are members of the certain union that are striking,katies school will remain open as usual :thumbs:

Hi,

My son's school is not on strike, but I am. I work in further education and certain college unions are using the day to take action on pay and conditions.

My school doesn't have many NUT members so the current position is it will be everything as normal on Thurs. We may even have the full staff compliment too. My main query is whether if there is a picket line whether I should cross it. I think it important that there are staff at the school as it will be open but at the same time do believe that teachers deserve a better deal than they get. Not to mention as I was a student teacher not long ago am a member of NUT. They're advice for student teachers was to take no part in it but also to refuse to take the classes of any teachers on strike.

My eldest a/s daughter is affected because her home tutor is striking....

My middle and youngest daughters are affected because their tutors are striking

But my son who is in the the same school as youngest dd is not affected.... go figure......

I don't object to the strike if it is for better training... but I have heard some objectionable remarks from teachers regarding th strike....

Things like " It will be nice to get paid a proper wage for coping with these yobs! " "At least i have an extra day so I can get my shopping done!"

Remarks like this maybe do other teachers no justice and certainly just add to my discontent about the education service within this country....

ANd why oh why did I only learn yesterday that my youngest dd was off school? Leaving it the last minute shows utter disdain for busy parents who lead busy lives who have to prepare children with A/S for some time in advance for interruptions and changes to their regular day....

Sorry again to the good teachers on hear as I am ranting ... but am very very frustrated just now!!!!

Anne x

Be thankful that you know now. We have no idea whether the schools my boys are at will be striking. Apparently, they don't have to let the headteacher know until the day of the strike, if they'll be striking or not.

Jay only went back today and he came home with a letter saying they're on strike on Thursday! :wacko: I feel really sorry for parents who work, it must be a nightmare to organize something at such short notice like that. For my part, I'll be glad to have the day off and I know Jay will, especially if it's good 'snailing' weather. :thumbs:

~ Mel ~

I know its not fair on people who work giving such short notice! My son's school is always changing their training days too i never know which days he is meant to be off :wacko:

I don't object to the strike if it is for better training... but I have heard some objectionable remarks from teachers regarding th strike....

Things like " It will be nice to get paid a proper wage for coping with these yobs! " "At least i have an extra day so I can get my shopping done!"

Sorry, but teachers are only human, too!

Some of the kids are yobs...my DH has had personal possessions stolen, been sworn at and threatened :( He's also been sworn at and physically threatened by parents, too...once in front of a class of primary kids :o

My DH is a really great teacher, who gets excellent results, but in his last job he was under so much stress that his blood pressure was through the roof and he was really unwell.

Bid :(

(And no, he isn't striking)

Edited by bid

All my kids are off on thurs, the youngest at at primary school and the eldest at a high school unit.His school is closing completely, I only found out today at 4.00pm.Just glad the weather forecast is good for thursday :rolleyes:

Sorry, but teachers are actually only human, too!

Some of the kids are yobs...my DH has had personal possessions stolen, been sworn at and threatened :( He's also been sworn at and physically threatened by parents, too...once in front of a class of primary kids :o

My DH is a really great teacher, who gets excellent results, but in his last job he was under so much stress that his blood pressure was through the roof and he was really unwell.

Bid :(

(And no, he isn't striking)

>:D<<'> :thumbs:

Been dragged across a table by a parent, slapped and shoved by another, and all of the above too.

Once heard my head in a previous school say 'Do I have my happy face on?' as I went past his office and he was dealing with 4 Y6 boys and a weapons cache that they'd brought in to settle a footballing dispute. :whistle:

The stress is because you're not allowed to retaliate, even out of school hours...though it would be great to respond to some of the abuse in a like manner.

I do like the school I'm currently working in, but some of the teachers here have no idea how lucky they are!

I do agree about the warning though, even if the staff haven't made up their minds completely, a head is entitled to know how many NUT they have on their staff and work out what to do if they all choose to strike. Giving parents advance notice makes good sense. However, the point of a strike is to cause disruption and to be noticed, and if some unsympathetic heads know in advance, they can get supply in to strike-break.

We all know as parents here that usually the only way to get a fair deal for our children is to kick up a fuss when their rights are not met. Being quiet and polite and asking nicely, waiting your turn, not wanting to be a bother often means that no one listens to you.

Edited by Bard

I am an LSA/TA I totally support the teachers as we too are having a lot of the same issues regarding managing behaviour with no real support or training, constant changing goverment schemes and also trying to do our jobs for the children too.

My oldest sons school let us know on the last day of term by letter (they are secondary) which was great as that is my son with Autism so I was able to tell him in advance.

My younger children's schools only knew this week on Tuesday that they were shutting.

The school where I work is a mainstream secondary, they are open to years 9, 10 and 11 as they are building up to exams, but as I have no childcare for my 3 I cannot be at work and I feel so bad about that, I feel I am letting my boys there down (it's an all boys school)

I've just posted on the other strike thread.......our youngest DD's school is entirely closed. Our eldest DD's school is half open, depending on which teacher your child has. Our eldest DD's is striking, so she's off. One of the mum's I spoke to has had to take leave from work, because she has one child at school, and one child off, both at same school. Our DS's secondary school has opened for two year groups, including our DS's, because they are due to do their SATS. They've been told that all their teachers are striking, so they will be revising or have supply teachers.

What a joke baggy!! Id be pretty annoyed if one child was expected to go in and the other stay at home from the same school, thats pretty unfair. Id be inclined to just keep them both off as the would be ructions in my house otherwise!!!!

To Bid / Bard and others who are teachers or close to teachers.

I am aware that there are good teachers, and I can understand what you say about the need for disruption Bard.

I am also appalled when I hear some of the things teachers have to go through (I am a nurse / midwife and I too have been asaulted / insulted/ threatened) It's a sad life isn't it.....

However for many of us on hear, we suffer daily at the hands of uncaring, unfeeling teachers who make our lives and our childrens lives as difficult as possible... Everytime I come in here I am saddened by the stories I read that mirror our own....

Todays schooling drives me mad, my daughter comes home regulalry to say that she has been in XY's class because her teacher had a dentist apt, her teacher had a meeting, her teacher had out of class time, her teacher had physio <all these were over a two week period> along with yet another teacher training day.. One day last week her class was 'taught' a whole day!! in someone elses class, that is 60 children in one class... and yes my daughters class had to sit on the carpet as their was obviously no room in the class.... Another day the whole of the class spent a day in the computer suite bening checked on by another teacher who was teaching her own children......

I then spot a report that was written by the school signed by the head teacher which had no less than 10 spelling mistakes in it!!!!!

This same school then tells me that I am making up the symptoms I report about my daughter because they are not seen in school, and then have the nerve to ask me to sympathise when they go on strike!

SO whilst I am aware that there are good teachers out their, unfortunately I don't get to see them very often in association with my children. And when i have the fall out from this strike action as I try to juggle everything at home and deal with the issues caused by my children being unsettled the last thing I am is sympathetic when they tell me they have had a jolly old time not having to deal with our kids!

So I am sorry if my post is a rant, PLEASE don't feel I am attacking anyone personally......

It is the situation that makes my blood boil.... The governements stupid initiatives do have to be looked at, I am sure there is someone whose sole job it is to make policies about policies.. and then bring in another policy to deal with the issues that arise fromt he introduction of the latest policy.... it happens in Education, in the NHS well just about everywhere!

As my earlier post said my issue is with the attitude of certain teachers..... and I am probbaly going to get really flamed for the next bit... but....

I left the NHS becauseI felt that policy was interfering with my ability to do a good job.. I could have fought, I could have stayed and become jaded and angry but I chose to mke my voice heard with my feet, just like thousands of others have over the years....

If a job is so bad, why stay in it???? If teachers just walked out then eventually people would take notice! or is tis me speaking through my angry hat???

Anne x

If a job is so bad, why stay in it???? If teachers just walked out then eventually people would take notice! or is tis me speaking through my angry hat???

Anne x

Because the vast majority of them are committed to the kids they teach.

Bid

No insult taken, Annea, of course you have met poor, inadequate teachers who seem to put their own needs constantly before the children. It would be foolish to claim that being a teacher makes you perfect, and although most do a good job, some a fair one, there are always the few that don't. And they are the ones that you remember.

Neither is what I write next intended to upset anyone here on the forum.

I have met many lovely parents whose children have got the support and love they need from their families. Nothing to do with intelligence, money or circumstances. Just raw parenting at its best.

Most parents I've met are doing a good job against the odds, and their children benefit.

But the hardest policy I have to read in school is the child protection one. The one with Appendix 2, that details the different sorts of abuses and some of the signs and indicators to watch for. Because I can think of a name and a face for almost every point mentioned, and sometimes several. By 2022 when I retire, the list will have grown longer, and there will be more names and faces and situations that make my skin crawl and my stomach heave and give me nightmares.

But I always hope that each new child I meet, and each parent I come to know will result in my list of happy families growing, and so I build up my store of positive thoughts.

That's why I never comment. on any of the Forums that I use, when someone complains about the involvement of Social Services, the police et al in their lives. Because I don't know all the facts, and I'm only hearing one voice. Sometimes the authorities get it wrong. And sometimes they don't.

Good teachers, bad teachers, good parents, bad parents. The whole range exists..

And if I left teaching? Who would fill my boots? A good teacher or not?

How can I abandon the opportunity to perhaps change someone's view of the world, or have mine changed by someone?

I went on strike because I don't think the system works, and the only thing necessary for evil to flourish is that good men do nothing.

Teachers are increasingly being asked to make up for inadequate parenting as well as regularly take on board every new half baked idea the government comes out with. I remember a recruitment campaign a few years ago with the punchline "no one forgets a good teacher". Unless teachers are paid what they are worth, there won't be any good ones left.

Although I'm sure I would have grumbled if my own son had been affected by the strike, I don't blame the teachers. It's a tough profession (and I bailed out after a very short time because I couldn't cope with it) and those who stick with it, despite suffering the kind of abuse Bard mentions, should be treated with the utmost respect, in my opinion. And, for starters, that includes being paid a salary they can actually live on, and not one which is below the rate of inflation.

K x