bid

Stopping the cigs!

We have had a really difficult term at work, with a lot of extremely challenging behaviour, and staff shortages leading to too much overtime (I had done 44 hours overtime this month by 19th!).

Anyway, all this has lead me to start the dreaded habit again in earnest :shame: It doesn't help that loads of people smoke at work, because of the nature of the job really I think.

But this is day two with no cigs! :thumbs:

I thought I would post here, as hopefully doing it in the public eye will help to keep me on the straight and narrow :pray:

Please keep me going!

Boho :dance:

Thanks MCL >:D<<'>

Part of the trouble has been that having smoked in my dim and distant youth, I've never completely stopped...obviously none when I've been pregnant, but always the odd one at a party or the pub, constantly when my dad was dying, etc.

Then things have been so bad that really from Sept it had crept up again :shame:

I have just calculated that I have been smoking on and off for 27 years, which is awful and scary!! :o:ph34r:

So this has got to be it this time :ninja:

Well done Bid! :thumbs:

keep it up

I gave up 10 ish years ago, all the stress of last year nearly made me start again, but the thing that stopped me was I couldnt put myself through stopping again!!!! It was THE most difficult thing I had ever done, so keep at it, think of the money, I put mine away every day and used it to buy treats!!

ps, I have only just realised we both have 4 kids in the same age group, 7 to 19, fun isnt it!!! Enid

good luck bid i hope you manage to quit, even though i think i may go mad if i tryed at mo, my dh as been stoped for 6 wks nows and going strong

take care

theresa x

Good for you, bid >:D<<'>

Its hard controlling/giving up any addiction, but I know you are right about sharing your battle - it really helps to have someone cheering you on :thumbs:

I too have dabbled slightly of late, what with placement issues, and my upcoming court dates regarding income support- I too, wobble slightly when sozzled and I don't like it much!

So I'm with you, sister, right on and solidarity and all that- it's flimmin hard sometimes but you can do it, Bid!

Keep up the resistance (and watch out for ze fallen madonna weeth ze beeg....)

Ahem!

G'luck, you can do it!

Esther x

Good luck. >:D<<'>

Never had the urge, due to the aversion therapy of my youth. My dear parents did me a huge favour, heavy smokers both, and used to do it in a hot car with the windows shut, for 1000 of miles travelling around southern Africa, while I sat in the back trying not to throw up. :sick::sick:

Got plenty of other vices though :devil:

K x

Well done Bid - keep it up - you will feel such an achievement if you do this. A lady I work with gave up recently and it was very very hard but she did it and I'm so proud of her - you can do this too.

Take care,

Jb

Ive never smoked, family members smoke about 40 a day and I couldnt breath as a kid, I was very very poorly.

I think the TV advert where the boy is worried his dad may die gets to me a bit,... but what about the kids in the atmosphere of smoke, I think the smoking ban in public places just moves the problem on to other venues, like when Im waiting for a bus a line of people are dieing for a fag their puffs enphisise into the air and gets blown into my direction to the poing I cant breath again, I really do think that having smoking relitives did really put me off smoking and am not interested in it, cant breath as it is when Im near a smoker so wouldnt like to imagine one near my mouth, if your gonna give up for certain dont watch coranation street, as the actors are always lighting up and I do feel for those trying to give up, there is support from the NHS for giving up smoking, what about doing there campain, also what about if the money you would use goes straight into a seperate saving account and see how much you save, It must be expensive to smoke now, how much is a packet of cigerates now? so seeing what you are saving may help to keep the motivation up, a few friends of mine have given up the cigs but they did eat a few more bars of chocolate in the process and now are on diets and at the gym.

Good Luck,

JsMumxx :thumbs:

The only thing I found that works was stop putting fags in your mouth and lighting them...

I don't get out much (awww) so on our annual hols when we'd go to pubs etc in the evening were always a reminder - by the end of the week i'd have a sore throat etc from passive smoking. It was actually shocking last year - with the ban in place - just how different those kind of places smelled.

I think it's about five years since i gave up, but occassionally if smoke blows my way it can still smell nice/inviting, but most of the time it's horrible. and stale smoke in people's clothes etc :sick:

If i'd stuck to giving up first time round (i gave up for around three years in my late teens/early twenties) I probably wouldn't get my annual bronchitis etc :wallbash:

My ex SIL was the worst case i ever heard... gave up on finding out she was preggers, and started smoking again on her daughters ninth birthday :wacko: said in all those years she hadn't gone more than a week or so without wanting one... go figure...

:D

Just think of all the money you will save. I was recently quite shocked by how much cigarettes cost, I don't know how anyone can afford them.

I would agree how nice it is to go into public places and not have that nasty smell hanging around. I can remember when smocking was allowed on public transport as soon as you stepped into a smocking carriage on the train you know it by how grimy and smelly it was.

At work all the smokers shuffle off down to the back door to the designated outside smocking area. Its really quite pitiful to see them out in the cold and the rain just to get their fix.

Keep up the good work, just don't fall into the trap of substituting one bad habit for another. Chocolate :devil: (Message from the wife)

Negotiated first real temptation...had Child Protection Training for Lead Officers at work today, and my friend asked if I was going for a ciggie during the coffee break as I would normally do.

But I said no, and that I've stopped! :thumbs:

My real motivations for stopping for good this time are the fact that I don't want to get to 50 (my next 'big' birthday :crying: ) and still be smoking. I was also horrified when I worked out that for the last 27 years I have smoked every year (some years 'properly', other years 'socially')...which really shocked me :(

Thank you for all the support guys >:D<<'>

Edited by bid

Negotiated first real temptation...had Child Protection Training for Lead Officers at work today, and my friend asked if I was going for a ciggie during the coffee break as I would normally do.

But I said no, and that I've stopped! :thumbs:

Well done, bid :clap::notworthy:

Well done!!

I gave up smoking about 11-12 years ago now & feel so much better for it!

Not sure how I ever could of afforded it!!!!

My mum says if she was given 3 months to live she'd start smoking again. She's in her 70s. I gave up about 25 years ago when I started craving instead of social smoking. Put on a stone in weight which I've only just taken off (four children didn't help). Keeping off the alcohol was really important for me to avoid the association. Would do hypnotherapy if I ever started again.

Keep going - it's much better without.

Have to confess to three during the week Meg was in hospital after being knocked down by a car...so not too bad, really, all things considered!

But back on the wagon, although I could murder one right now after the day I've had (fracture clinic appointment at 11.00, finally back home at gone 5.00!!) :wacko:

Boho :hypno:

:thumbs:

I've been without for nearly 6 years. I'm soooo glad I gave up, but I still crave every day, and follow smokers down the street inhaling after them!!! :ph34r:

Keep it up, Bid. Each day a New Day. >:D<<'>

Thanks guys >:D<<'>

I'm feeling pretty down about the nerve damage she's suffered, and this is exactly the kind of occasion I'd have a fag or two...

Still, onwards and upwards!

Boho :)

Edited by bid

Bids guide to stopping smoking:

Dear fellow forum members:

I am going to try (yet again), to quit smoking. So I am serving fair warning. During the next while I will ask you to completely disregard anything I may say, as I have been known in past quit attempts to become quite irrational, and even, shall I say, a wee bit nasty. So If I say something you may find offensive, please disregard it, and do not take it personally, it is just my addiction talking. Above all do not confront me on it, I know (again from past experience), that I will be looking to pick a fight, so don't give me an excuse. Much as this may surprise you, I can be one nasty B**T*H, when I am in the mood for it. Yes, I know, you would not expect this of me, but consider yourself warned ahead of time. Just go away shaking your head, and say to yourself, she is sure having a hard time of it, she could use my support :o)

On the other hand, if you too are looking for a fight, I may just be your babe.. try me on, you never know what you will get, I may scrap like a lioness, or I may just burst into tears, your guess is as good as mine.

This said, if you should have any one whom you may think need a good dose of reality therapy, or just a general telling off, steer them my direction, I will gladly oblige. Come to think of it should you have an enemy or two you would like me to yell at, or possibly a relative, or errant child you would like chastised, I will be at your service. I do ask that you do not send me on any foolish errands as I become quite remorseful when I recover my senses and I know I will have enough apologising to do on my own without the added burden of chasing down people I do not know to express my heart felt apologies. This has been known to send me into a deep depression, and God Knows, you do not want that! If you think my testiness is bad, you don't want to see the Poor, poor pitiful me side, it is down right sickening.

I will be using the aid of Nicotine Replacement, and this helps me considerably, but has the unfortunate side effect of making me a little manic. So let me buzz, let me clean, let me whiz around. Have some understanding that I will walk into a room half a dozen times before I will remember why I went there in the first place. But know, I have been known to actually get something accomplished. It may be useless, and meaningless, but it will get done. So if any of you have any useless, meaningless tasks that require no thought process to accomplish, send them my way. I will be suffering from CRS (Can't remember ****). I will not mind them, as I will forget them as soon as they are done, Hell I may forget them as I am doing them.

Do not offer me a cig. I will be eternally grateful at the time, but will come back later to claim your first born and all other descendants you may propagate. If you have no intention of propagating I promise I will haunt you, after what will surely be my early demise. Do not ask what I intend to do with said first borne, and their antecedents, you do not want to know!

I will have available to me, all kinds of things to abate my oral fixation, most healthy, but some not. You are welcome to have some, as long as you leave me enough to combat my needs. Don't ever take the last one. YOU WILL BE SORRY! Under no circumstances touch my water bottle. I have spit in it, so you takes your chances :o)

This said, I do hope you can all be supportive of this. It is one of the hardest things I will ever do. I do not ask you to quit with me, you can if you want, but I do ask for some understanding, or at least to just ignore me.

How are things going now Bid?

How are things going now Bid?

Thank you for asking :)

Wobbled on a night out with my work colleagues during Easter :shame: but then also drank an entire bottle of red too! :wine::o

But back to work and I didn't even want one before my shift, which was my usual pattern...so feeling OK about it all!

Edited by bid

I gave up about 25 years ago

Just noticed - that should be 15 years ago. I know I'm ancient but that's jus ridikillus.

Well done so far bid. not easy in the circumstances. :)

Thank you for asking :)

Wobbled on a night out with my work colleagues during Easter :shame: but then also drank an entire bottle of red too! :wine::o

But back to work and I didn't even want one before my shift, which was my usual pattern...so feeling OK about it all!

It must have been that lovely supportive post Simon posted.He is so thoughtful...... :lol::lol::lol:

Keep going bid. :thumbs:

Sorry Bid I ment to reply earlier than this but I forgot :wacko:

I think that it is great what you have achieved so far you should be very proud of yourself :thumbs:

I wish that i had you will power and determination :notworthy:

Emma

Bids guide to stopping smoking:

Dear fellow forum members:

I am going to try (yet again), to quit smoking. So I am serving fair warning. During the next while I will ask you to completely disregard anything I may say, as I have been known in past quit attempts to become quite irrational, and even, shall I say, a wee bit nasty. So If I say something you may find offensive, please disregard it, and do not take it personally, it is just my addiction talking. Above all do not confront me on it, I know (again from past experience), that I will be looking to pick a fight, so don't give me an excuse. Much as this may surprise you, I can be one nasty B**T*H, when I am in the mood for it. Yes, I know, you would not expect this of me, but consider yourself warned ahead of time. Just go away shaking your head, and say to yourself, she is sure having a hard time of it, she could use my support :o)

On the other hand, if you too are looking for a fight, I may just be your babe.. try me on, you never know what you will get, I may scrap like a lioness, or I may just burst into tears, your guess is as good as mine.

This said, if you should have any one whom you may think need a good dose of reality therapy, or just a general telling off, steer them my direction, I will gladly oblige. Come to think of it should you have an enemy or two you would like me to yell at, or possibly a relative, or errant child you would like chastised, I will be at your service. I do ask that you do not send me on any foolish errands as I become quite remorseful when I recover my senses and I know I will have enough apologising to do on my own without the added burden of chasing down people I do not know to express my heart felt apologies. This has been known to send me into a deep depression, and God Knows, you do not want that! If you think my testiness is bad, you don't want to see the Poor, poor pitiful me side, it is down right sickening.

I will be using the aid of Nicotine Replacement, and this helps me considerably, but has the unfortunate side effect of making me a little manic. So let me buzz, let me clean, let me whiz around. Have some understanding that I will walk into a room half a dozen times before I will remember why I went there in the first place. But know, I have been known to actually get something accomplished. It may be useless, and meaningless, but it will get done. So if any of you have any useless, meaningless tasks that require no thought process to accomplish, send them my way. I will be suffering from CRS (Can't remember ****). I will not mind them, as I will forget them as soon as they are done, Hell I may forget them as I am doing them.

Do not offer me a cig. I will be eternally grateful at the time, but will come back later to claim your first born and all other descendants you may propagate. If you have no intention of propagating I promise I will haunt you, after what will surely be my early demise. Do not ask what I intend to do with said first borne, and their antecedents, you do not want to know!

I will have available to me, all kinds of things to abate my oral fixation, most healthy, but some not. You are welcome to have some, as long as you leave me enough to combat my needs. Don't ever take the last one. YOU WILL BE SORRY! Under no circumstances touch my water bottle. I have spit in it, so you takes your chances :o)

This said, I do hope you can all be supportive of this. It is one of the hardest things I will ever do. I do not ask you to quit with me, you can if you want, but I do ask for some understanding, or at least to just ignore me.

Have you tried electronic cigarettes....they are brilliant! I have tried sooooo many times to give up, and using these I finally did (I sound like im selling them!) Have a look on youtube, you will see people trying them.

Good Luck!

Hi Bid,

I did that last week had all my hair chopped off i mean :wacko: , then i dyed it and connor didn't recognise me :lol:

I've now talked to him about it all and he has told me that he recognises people by there hair! is this normal?

Emma

Hi Bid,

I did that last week had all my hair chopped off i mean :wacko: , then i dyed it and connor didn't recognise me :lol:

I've now talked to him about it all and he has told me that he recognises people by there hair! is this normal?

Emma

Less unusual than you might think. Many autistic children have great difficulty recognising faces so using hair to distinguish people is a perfectly understandable idea!

Simon

Hi Bid,

Emma

Yes!

I have to do it even with my own children :(

(I also 'use' clothes in the same way)

I've had to keep the same hairstyle for years. When ds was younger I had it cut much shorter - it was so traumatic for him that I've never done it since. Quite like short hair too!

Keep going with that No Smoking :thumbs:

Barefoot

I've had to keep the same hairstyle for years. When ds was younger I had it cut much shorter - it was so traumatic for him that I've never done it since. Quite like short hair too!

Keep going with that No Smoking :thumbs:

Barefoot

hi georges nan went from gray to brown the other wk and when she walked in he screamed at her to take that wig off, i fell of my chair laughing he has now acepted it thank the lord she was fed up with being gray,

keep up the good work bid you are doing great

theresa x