Jericho

Family Fund grants

i also applyed about nov and id sent them copy of all my stuff-they sent it back and told me to keep my stuff handy as id get a phone call- not had one yet

i e mailed them to check they got my application and they said yes but i heard nowt since

should i e mail again asking for waiting time?

I called today and she said they have only just started on Septembers applications so they are bogged down at the moment and it's going to take some time yet :(

I contacted them because I wanted to change what I had asked for. I have been lucky recently to be given new beds for both kids so I didn't need them to provide the money for that, and also a TV! So I called them up and asked if I could change what I asked for and they said yes of course :thumbs: So now instead of those items + holiday allowance, I have asked them for a new PC for dd as the one she has is on its last legs. The lady said it was likely I could have it but that it would be all I would get this year as it is a large item, but it's a weight off my mind, dd loves her computer and if it breaks down for good (which is looking likely) then I don't have to panic about getting a new one :thumbs:

wE GOT GRANTED A WASHING MACHINE AND TUMBLE DRYER THIS WEEK :dance: WE HAD A PC 2 YEARS AGO IT'S GREAT

wE GOT GRANTED A WASHING MACHINE AND TUMBLE DRYER THIS WEEK :dance: WE HAD A PC 2 YEARS AGO IT'S GREAT

Did they give you a computer or a grant to buy one? If it was a grant, how much did you get? I can start shopping around for a good deal if I need to buy it myself. ooo last question, how long ago did you apply?

Edited by mandyque

I'm just sending off application for youngest son and daughter. I'd wondered about applying for years, and been put off thinking they weren't individually 'severely disabled'. Eldest son is now too old to be eligble !

Social worker suggested we apply for a help with day trips or a holiday. I've put down loads about how the kids are affected and want help we'd like. I hope they don't object think we're asking for too much ! :unsure:

It's scarey admitting you've got severe problems and need help. :tearful:

-

I'm just sending off application for youngest son and daughter. I'd wondered about applying for years, and been put off thinking they weren't individually 'severely disabled'. Eldest son is now too old to be eligble !

Social worker suggested we apply for a help with day trips or a holiday. I've put down loads about how the kids are affected and want help we'd like. I hope they don't object think we're asking for too much ! :unsure:

It's scarey admitting you've got severe problems and need help. :tearful:

-

They will look at your family as a whole, a friend of mine applies jointly for her two children and they award her whatever she needs between the two children.

A first claim will usually get quite a lot so you were right to put lots down, don't feel guilty, it's how they work. Subsequent claims won't get as much though so be prepared to be turned down if you apply for a lot of things again. My first claim included driving lessons, a washer and dryer, clothing, toys and bedding for dd but this year I have been told that I can only claim for one large item, which will be the PC this time round.

Don't feel bad about claiming from them, that's what they are there for, sometimes what we see as being a weakness (ie asking for help) is actually a strength. You want the best for your children but you are only human and we all have limits, whether that be physically, mentally or financially. Family Fund are there to try to ease the financial part.

Hi all,

applied to ff back in November, last week they sent me a form to fill out about income, also had to send

copies of kids DLA.

Anyone know what the next step is? and how long?

Thanks

Brook :)

Please................. someone must know out of you knowledgable lot. :pray::pray::)

Edited by Brook

i think from what my sister has told me that they will visit you at home if its your 1st application and help you to decide what to apply for.

Did they give you a computer or a grant to buy one? If it was a grant, how much did you get? I can start shopping around for a good deal if I need to buy it myself. ooo last question, how long ago did you apply?

i cant remember how long it took but not long .they supply computer and a man came set it up and showed basics.we got one with a touch screen moniter,this came from brussels.its a centrex with pentium processor running windows xp,bear in mind this is 18-24 months ago.the man who set it up said it was better than his. :D .it came with speakers and printer.they even give money for computer stand.

i cant remember how long it took but not long .they supply computer and a man came set it up and showed basics.we got one with a touch screen moniter,this came from brussels.its a centrex with pentium processor running windows xp,bear in mind this is 18-24 months ago.the man who set it up said it was better than his. :D .it came with speakers and printer.they even give money for computer stand.

ooo that sounds fab! Don't need the touch screen any more but it saves me doing legwork and research to find a good one :D I may have a wee shuffle around though if it has a TFT monitor, mine is much more robust for the kids :whistle:;)

Hello, I applied and it took4 months, I asked for recreational equipment and a holiday grant, it added up to about 780. I was pleased, 400 of it was for a climbing frame,

Nice one Brook :thumbs: If you put your application in November, then hopefully it should only be a matter of a few more weeks for mine, I sent it in December. The sooner the better, dd is getting very annoyed at their very slow, noisy, steam powered computer :lol::crying:

If you are given money to buy items or recreational services keep the receipts. My friend just reapplied with it being a year since she was awarded a grant and they asked to see proof of what the funding was spent on.

I applied at the end of October, and have not heard back yet.

I rang them a few weeks ago, and they said I woud hear in about a month. I have asked for money towards a computer (ours is very old and very slow), and she said it would be vouchers to use at PC World.

Karen

I applied at the end of October, and have not heard back yet.

I rang them a few weeks ago, and they said I woud hear in about a month. I have asked for money towards a computer (ours is very old and very slow), and she said it would be vouchers to use at PC World.

Karen

You mean I can go mooning around PC World and actually be able to BUY something???? :dance:

i got letter today off them saying someone will ring me up soon to come out and see me and my son

been waiting since about sept last year .

they want reports and names of folk involved-hope it wont matter that my son still has no dx on paper as yet?? or a statement of needs,it says they need school aswell -they havnt really been helpfull with me so far so hope all this dont go agaisnt me .

:blink:

do you have to have been awarded DLA to apply to the family fund?we are still awaiting a decision :rolleyes: but would like to get the ball rolling with ff asap to help me with driving lessons.

I applied end of October, got ?600 worth of vouchers for PC World about 2 weeks ago. Yesterday, went and bought a super duper PC - now just need to work out how to get it all sorted! I think the PC is now the most expensive item in my house! It felt weird spending so much on a non-essential item!

Karen

I applied for FF in August last year. They arranged for someone to come and seem me in December, but I cancelled because I was having such an awful time with Bill and couldn't cope with anything extra (sounds pathetic but that's what it was like!), also Bill was turned down for DLA (has since been awarded higher rate care for DLA !!) and I thought that meant we wouldn't get it anyway.

I've just had a call from the same lady who has asked if she can come round tomorrow!!! I said yes, of course. But now I'm in a flap and all nervous about it! Our income from employment is only around 10,000 but that is made up quite a bit in tax credits, child benefit, and DLA. I also get child maintenance from my ex husband. Which of these will they take into account? I know they don't take in to account tax credits or DLA, but will they consider the fact that I get child maintenance as income?

What sort of things will I have to show her? She also wants to meet Bill which I'm also nervous about, as he'll either be horribly uncommunicative or he'll talk her ears off :blink: and do a good impression of 'normal' :rolleyes:

Edited by Flora

Waited in all Wednesday afternoon and she didn't come. I rang her and she said that she said Thursday. She definately said 'tomorrow' when she rang on Tuesday, but that's ok, she would be coming today. Got a call a few minutes ago, her car is getting repaird so she's rescheduled for Monday morning.

Just had a lovely lady from the ff here. She was here for an hour and a half. We definately qualify for ff and she said I'll hear something in a couple of weeks. She also told me we should apply for DLA for Ben (already get it for Bill). She made a massive list of things we can get (I was really embarrassed), new dryer, digital camera for Bill, clothes, holiday, work on garden and a trampoline. I'm feeling a bit shell shocked, not used to this.

Edited by Flora

Hi all

I applied last year and got awarded a ?250 cheque towards hols and driving lessons.This is a grant which can be applied for each year so this year we are going to ask for bikes and equiptment for all the family so we can do something together also may ask for washer as Char has broken mine!!! :crying:

Lisa x

im guessing the service must be totaly bogged down! i applied first in sept last year, i heard nothing until feb. someone came round 4 weeks ago, i must be the only one as this woman was a real stickler! there was no stones left unturned i can tell you! she wanted to know EVERYTHING and took ALL their reports. it took me over an hour to scan and print off everything she needed! well despite all this, we still have not heard anything again, so still waiting. of course i am grateful for any help i can get, but 7 months is a long time to wait!! good job i didnt need a washing machine!

darky, 4 weeks!!! Perhaps you should give them a call? The woman who came to see me said I'd hear in two weeks. Like you though she did go through everything with a fine tooth comb. She wanted to see all their original dx reports, medication, dla forms, pay slips, tax credits. The lot. It was quite exhausting. She didn't take copies of reports, she just copy typed the relevant paragraphs. I also had to introduce the boys. Ben just bunny hopped around the kitchen and ignored her, and Bill stood in front of her looking side ways and didn't answer any of her questions! She told me straight away that I qualified and that it would take two weeks for the cheque to arrive.

Darky, give them a ring. Maybe you've got lost in the system; from reading the other posts once the visit is made most people seem to get a result within a couple of weeks.

Edited by Flora

just update

had visit today from a really lovely lady,who took details of me and asked me questions ect.... spoke to my son,she asked if id like grant for a holiday or just trips out -i said holiday please-and money towards climbing frame/swing for the garden/clothes/shoes.she seemed hopefull that i would receive it ,so will have to wait and see.........

she also told me i should demand direct payments off social services as i get no extra help off them or break-she said im entiltiled to-so i will look into it.

well see this is how it goes for me. applied to family fund sept. someone comes out to see me in the beginning of march. i heard nothing since. i emailed them last week, they tell me they sent a cheque on 30 march. i rang yesterday to say i still havnt recieved cheque and they tell me it hasnt been sent yet, cheque still has to be raised and i should get one in the next 2 weeks or so. good news is they have awarded ?380 for holiday, ?250 recreational, and ?100 for a bike. GREAT! just waiting to get it now lol.

darky, wonder why it's taking so long still! They rang me today so that I could prioritise the things I really needed. They said I should be getting a cheque and some vouchers in a few days time. Judging by your experience maybe they should have said a few weeks!

Hope we both get something sooner rather than later

Edited by Flora

me to lauren! i think its a bit messy at the momment because of the time of year, not forgetting its the beginning of the new financial year. what with the bank holidays comming up im sure it will take longer than normal. if i have not heard by next week i shall be banging down their door again lol. ive put a deposit on a holiday and if its not paid in a few weeks i loose it, GREAT! lol

hi

we applied last november didn,t here a thing till the begining of march then received letter to say that we would get a visit if we ddn,t hear anything in four weeks to contact them again so we did spoke to a lady who took details and said she would chase things up so we r justing waiting now for something to happen

bye for now paul @gemma

:D I got a cheque this morning for a holiday and some clothes for the boys and the letter said they are sending vouchers next week for a dryer and a camera for Bill. :dance: I'm so pleased, it'll make a big difference to our finances this summer. Edited by Flora

:D

just an update

heard this morning by letter -we have been awarded ?380 for a holiday [cheque]

and ?250 in a card scheme for argos to use for recreatinal items for garden /bedding.

so really happy :P:dance:

Hi all

Quick update from us too. :D

I got a cheque from Family Fund for ?380.00 for a holiday PLUS( and Oh boy is this going to be a help)

A voucher for ?600 for a new PC for Jake - This will mean i get more access to my pc :lol:

I applied initially in September of last year, but at the time we were waiting for confirmation of DLA being allowed. I managed to get the DLA confirmation sent to Family Fund in January of this year, and to be honest I was waiting to get a letter telling me that we were going to get a visit.

So you can imagine, I was so delighted to receive the cheque and PC vouchers today.

None of this would have been possible without the advice and support I have had from the lovely people on this forum . So from me to you all

THANKS SO MUCH

love

Sarah

>:D<<'>

Hiya everyone,

I've been reading through all this stuff about family fund grants and its amazing what you can pick up on this forum!! I would be interested to know if these grants can be awarded before acceptance for DLA and pre dx. Michael is constantly leaping about on the furniture and he's broken all the springs AGAIN so it would be very useful for a replacement. I would also be interested to know what reasons are given when applying for a PC cause ours is off the ark and Michael spends a lot of time on the net doing his "research" into wildlife!!

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Thanks.............. Wafta xx

hello i was wondering if we could get a family fund grant for holly she as aspergers would i be able to get one with a dx of aspegers she gets dla for asthma but not for aspergers becouse we only had dx last week and i am lookind in to the dla for aspergers any help please thank you jill

jill, I got a ff grant for Bill and Ben who have AS and ASD respectively. If your child has a disability and your income is below a certain level (used to be ?23k but has just gone up) you can apply for ff. You can apply online, it takes 4-6 months for them to process the application.

Edited by Flora