Sign in to follow this  
Hectorshouse

T's 1st Day back at school

T has is first day at school today since June, he's REALLY excited even though its only a half day >:D<<'>

I don't know yet how it will go, but I am hoping that anything will be an improvement on his previous experience when we were in Cornwall.

So this is a good luck shout for T really, and hoping he can have what he craves more than anything, a chance to have some friends.

HHxx

Aw Guys ... so sorry for not coming back on line, have got a really nasty cold and just came home yesterday and curled up with my Olbas Oil :sick:

But the good news is ..........

T's first day was FAB FAB FAB ... after the diabolical organised chaos of Cornwall I was prepared for the worst yestderday, but ... it was nothing like it. SENCO came and met us, really pleased to see T, took us to her office and gave me this A4 Sheet that she will ensure that all the teachers/TA's etc who work with T will have. Asked me if there was anything I wanted to add or change etc ... the information sheet was fantastic, a very condensed version of his statement, but T's and mine favourite bit was ... T likes to fiddle with things i.e pens/pencils etc ... please do not be irritated by this as it helps him concentrate ... this is the point that I nearly burst into tears ... then she produces a 'twiddle box' full of little hand sized toys to fiddle with during class, T was allowed to chose one and boy was he made up .... 'can I really? am I allowed to?' were his words. T now has a stretchy bending snake that stays on his lap ( :oops: just realised what that sounds like) below the desk and they now have one happy child, that isn't flapping, fiddling, banging or rocking ... why can't all things in life be sooo simple ..

Local Paper are coming round tonight to take photos of me and T, thinking cucumber definitely needed for the bags under my eyes and trying to pass of Olbas Oil reek for perfume :whistle:

Anyway 2nd day today, another half day but so far T is really happy, plus he gets to go to his Nanna's today before and after school as I will be at work, so he can play with their new Puppy and have his boiled eggs and soldiers.

HHxx

B)B)B)

Sounds like you have a SENCO who really understands, they are worth their weight in gold.

It's early days, but I am delighted for you.

Simon

Edited by mossgrove

Thanks Simon, everytime I've met this SENCO I've been overwhelmed by her knowledge and empathy, I asked her yesterday how many ASD children she had at school ... answer = 18 with statements ... and quite a lot more without but at school action plus. When I visited the schools in our direct locale, I asked each SENCO the same question and the answer each time was no more that 2 or 3 ... hmmm something definitely not right here.

New SENCO can't understand why other schools are not doing what they are doing, and has been shocked by the complete refusal of our local schools to take T, but I am really glad now that he is where he is, it is early days but I am really hoping that it can work out for T. All I gotta do now is keep the pressure on the LEA for theTransport and shame them in the press for the lack of ASD provision in their shiny new schools they have just built!

HHxx

It's really nice to hear of something going right for a change. Fingers crossed that all continues to go well and T is happy at his new school.

>:D<<'> I am so pleased for you and T >:D<<'>

What a great SENCO :thumbs: I wish there were more like her.

Good luck with the local paper tonight B)

Annie

X

:dance: I am so pleased for you.

Any chance we could clone the SENCO and install her in every school in the land :lol:

Carole

HH I.m really pleased for you both, the senco sounds just wonderful, I was beginning to think there weren't any out there. It's a funny job to take on if you have no understanding of SEN and don't like 'difficult' children which is how a lot of them seem to be. :whistle::devil: To think of T being so happy about the fiddle box made me cry. Still I cry at anything these days :hypno: I shall keep everything crossed for you both.

Hiya HH,

i've been reading through your posts, amazed at all you and T have had to go through.

I'm so pleased things are working out. Brought a huge lump to my throat when i read - 'can i really, am i allowed to?'. :tearful: Doesn't that just about sum it up. Bless him :wub::)

SENCO came and met us, really pleased to see T, took us to her office and gave me this A4 Sheet that she will ensure that all the teachers/TA's etc who work with T will have. Asked me if there was anything I wanted to add or change etc ... the information sheet was fantastic, a very condensed version of his statement, but T's and mine favourite bit was ... T likes to fiddle with things i.e pens/pencils etc ... please do not be irritated by this as it helps him concentrate ... this is the point that I nearly burst into tears ... then she produces a 'twiddle box' full of little hand sized toys to fiddle with during class, T was allowed to chose one and boy was he made up .... 'can I really? am I allowed to?' were his words. T now has a stretchy bending snake that stays on his lap ( :oops: just realised what that sounds like) below the desk and they now have one happy child, that isn't flapping, fiddling, banging or rocking ... why can't all things in life be sooo simple ..

The Senco sounds like such a lovely lady :tearful:

Hope T continues to enjoy his new placement :)

Hooray!!!

Other schools take note, this is how it should be done! Really pleased for you HH. School sorted -transport next. You need the LEAs specific SEN transport policy next.

Edited by phasmid

>:D<<'> Just been catching up with things on the forum, so pleased everything is going well. The SENCO sounds fantastic, where did you say you moved to I could do with a change :lol:

:wub::wub::wub: first off thanks all of you for your support, it means the world to me to be able to come on here and not be treated like some neurotic mother over indulging her child (comments previously made by witch type SENCO in cornwall) I wasn't able to take T yesterday as I have got a really bad chest infection and it was too painful to drive, we are going again today, dosed up on paracetamol, ibrufen and amoxycillin. I think the stress of the last few months has caught up with me with a wallop, and have had to take the rest of the week off of work. I think its also a fear to relax a bit, that things might actually be going to be alright for a change, when you live with sooo much pessimism its hard to shift from that angle, so used to expecting the worst to happen that I live my life on tenderhooks, and fear of the phone ringing. Anyways enough of that down and miserable stuff, T is raring to go, all uniformed up and lunchbox at the ready, first day he stays for lunch today :wub:

I have some fab comments in his home/school book, that I will post at a later date, and if I can get my bloggy working again, I'll put them on there alongwith his info sheet that the SENCO has prepared.

Phas - any ideas where I can get the LEA's SEN specific transport policy, have been digging around the website and have come across some stuff but most of it seems to be contradictory, I will try giving them a call and asking for a copy.

HHxx

Hi HH,

Hope you're feeling better soon. It must be such a relief that things are going well and that T is getting the right support. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it continues, I know what you mean about not wanting to relax in case it all goes wrong.

HH,

Sorry to hear you're not well. :( Recovering from the trauma of the fight isn't easy, I liken it to post traumatic stress. Knowing why you feel like this way can be half the battle.

Take extra care, you deserve a rest. I'm sure Phas will be along in a min. with that policy.

Nellie >:D<<'>

HH

It is so common to become ill at the point where it appears everything has been sorted, I think you can be so stressed you ddon't have any time to be ill, but as soon as you let your guard down even a tiny bit, illness strikes.

Simon

Edited by mossgrove

HH hope you're feeling better. You are right as soon as you start to relax illness strikes. It is very very hard to come off red alert, down to amber :lol: but most of us have had to put up with so much crud it is so hard to believe that there are good guys out there and people that care. The head at my son's primary school once said to me, I am of an opinion that you do not completely trust us Mrs angry b**tard :wacko: