Sign in to follow this  
Cariad

Illness and having a Autistic child?

I myself have depression and take Anti depressants, i also suffer an eating disorder. Anybody have stress related illnesses? :crying:

I have ME and my consultant feels it was brought on by stress :( it's gets much worse when im low.

You'll love this... :o ... I have been getting very low recently, i've suffered from depression before - so i recognised the warning signs. I was having some very frightening thoughts so i took myself off to the GP to ask for help. He sat and listened - then said he didn't want to give me anti-depressants because he didn't want me to be unable to respond quickly enough if ds needed me!! :o

Right, thanks for that then............ :o:wacko::blink: !!

So he'd prefer you to be too depressed to cope then???? :wallbash:

I suffer from depression, am on prozac, and also anxiety and panic attacks, not because I have an autistic child though, I had the depression long before my kids were born, the anxiety got worse after my marriage split. I'm currently on the waiting list for CBT, I'm praying it will help.

yep. Definatley depresssed. Hated anti d. Have stopped career for a few months which has helped. Gp invited me onto patient advisory committee. Not sure. If I was professional treating me I wld say v depressed almost suicidal but just about hanging in there. I dont have psorasasis but my father does. Im sure that lots of this is connected. Wish could win lottery and then would really show local leas.

Smiley, I had a similar experience the other day when I had run out of my sleeping tablets, and the weekend doctor refused to give me any because then I would not be able to respond to my sons needs in the night...so after three days of no sleep I was barely able to respond either in the day or in the night... :wallbash: The fact that I have taken them for 4 years now and can and will wake up as soon as he comes into my room was ofcourse not taken into consideration, and my own GP gave them to me immediately on the Monday...

I myself have depression and take Anti depressants, i also suffer an eating disorder. Anybody have stress related illnesses? :crying:

i suffer with depression i allso have sarcoidosis fibromyalgia cfs ibs and a lot more i am in the middle of finding out if my daughter as aspergers so very unwell at morement stress makes me very ill but we must be strong for our children so they can get the help they need all the best to you hope you feel better soon jill

I have depression, but its clinical so not totally related to having Logan be autistic, but I do have excema flareups which I haven't had in about 7 years which my doctor thinks are stress related.

Lynne x

Hi

I had depression around the time of the diagnosis, when my son's problems were at their most dramatic, and it was conflicting with work. Counselling and anti-d helped - I've been ok now for 2 years, although I still feel more vulnerable to depression than I was before.

I made big life-style changes, and did a lot to help my son (once I finally knew why he was so difficult) and that made a difference. You have to see depression as a warning sign, and if at all possible make changes - I was lucky because I have an incredibly supportive husband.

:o hi just adding to your list

i have had depression all my life

but it has escalated due to life events that ive had:

19 contracted bacterial meningitis-and nearly died

23 started relationship-turned out to be abusive stayed 5 years

birth of my 2 sons

finding out son was disabled

split from father

there grandad dying of cancer

no support from my childrens father or there family

adjusting to being single mum

im under the hospital shrink-which is very helpfull

ive been dx as having rapid cycling mood disorder[like bipolar-manic depression]

and ocd.

:whistle: great stuff lol

take mood stabilsers and anti -d

im 30 in jan and have given up on men[ha]

im just trying my best to make sure my sons are ok :lol:

SO ALL U GUYS THAT R DEPRESSED TOTALLY KNOW HOW U ALL FEEL ! :thumbs:

I can see it's very very stressful from you all having a Son with special needs. It really does take it's toll on your health.

I think it's time for a group hug :lol:>:D<<'>

Hi,

A group hug would be nice! >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I'll have to settle for a cuddle with my cats!

I have depression and anxiety, which all came out when my son was going through hell in mainstream school 2 years ago.

I think i have been depressed for a lot longer than that, but have just struggled on (as you do). My son was seriously ill with a stomach tumor when he was 2. I nearly lost him and i have never been the same since.

Now i'm on anti-d's and they are definately helping, although they make me a bit bit manic and i keep cleaning like a crazy woman!

Loulou x

Yep, I have depression too but it's on and off. I have been advised to take meds but I'm too stubborn to admit defeat! I should really go on them but can't! :(

I get my good days but once a battle comes up, I'm on an all time low again like the worlds gonna cave in, any minute lil thing seems like a gigantic problem to me.

Other than that, I'm fine. ;)

My sons dx broughtabout recognising my own issues.I have had obsessions with food :( , OCD type behaviour, during my 20,s I had to exercise for at least 2 hrs a day......not good. My dr. iscurrently treating me for depression, and I,m feeling a lot better.Learning about my sons dx made me realise my own issues and how similar they are :tearful: , to his.

I have depression too which started with marriage break up and being a single mum plus son's dx, all at the same time. Antidepressants don't work for me because I get dizziness :blink: and other nice side effects, so I have to cope as I can. I'm also asthmatic and suffer from angina which get worse if I am stressed. I have no recipe for coping, other than faith in whatever you believe in.

Hugs to all >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Gloria

yes i have struggled with deep anxiety all of my life even as a kid but it only got brought to light when I had my son ,2 years later I couldn't keep on top of the fear anymore and was treated for depression and anxiety, now i am treated for a generalized anxiety disorder and will probably take anti depressants all of my life, at first I wouldn't take tablets which was suggested in the months after my sons' birth, but then i couldn't go on and now it's the best thing i have ever done.I see it as helping me to just be myself without all of the fears that were making me miss out.

Sorry to have rambled .

I suffered depression in my late teens before the GP dx me with Hypothyroidism and it came back as post natal after H was born and been with me ever since, I'm on anti-depressants and i dont think i could cope without them :unsure:

I'll join in the group hugggg >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Madmooch

Gawd - don't we sound like a miserable bunch??!! :blink::lol:

My day has been 'eventfull'.

Little man puched a child in the stomach at lunchtime :( totally oped out ans did nothing all afternoon :( . My mum (who suffers from schizophrenia) is not well, i may have to section her - :tearful:

There are days when i feel i can fight the world.

Then days when i just want everything to go away so i can breath :tearful:

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> BIG SQUIDGE >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

... OK I've been keeping back from this thread, because I didn't really want to write my sorrows up, but then today was a strong day (considering this time of year its usually not, so I'm big up on that today!).

I have been on and off of anti-deps since my husband died, but saying that I was prone to depression since I can remember, its not since T's dx that I actually started looking at myself and him and realised that actually his quirkiness is not dissimilar to mine, and came to the realisation through discussions with my Mum and GP that YEP I'm AS as well. Not that it bothers me, I've always been barking and the IBS is something that I live with, the OCD has its uses :wacko: although sometimes I'm OCD about the wrong things. I just wish I could find my keys .. or my wallet ... or that letter I was gonna post etc ...

I have been off the happy pills for about 6 months now and seemingly doing fine, (note too self ... need to ask long suffering one his opinion) I am coping with the problems the LEA throw at me, having no longer decided to take it on the chin. Understanding T has made me understand me, it has also given me great purpose in my life in fighting for appropriate SEN provision not just for T but for everyone I know who is in this position .. anyway enough of that.

I think having a child with ASD is hard (understatement of the year) but what I have learnt since and found in the way of support has far outweighed a lot of the negative sides of things ... (HH ducks as T realises its 6.01 and tea is NOT on the table and is about to do the time stress thingy!!).

It does get better, the more of us that pull together and share our wealth of knowledge the less lonely it also seems.

GROUP HUG TO ALL MY KRISMITE'S .... WE ARE THE BARKING CLUB!!

- There is no such thing as Normality ... Just different degrees of Madness!!! -

(quote from a rizla packet .. just about sums it up)

HHxx

:rolleyes: Yep Hectors horsey can relate to that, the first book I read on AS sent a chill through me, I can remember teachers barking at me "look at me when I,m talking to you".......eye contact is better now but I don,t feel comfortable.Think I,ll start a different thread on this subject. :whistle:

Minxygirl

I too have ocd as well as as Both conditions come on more when i am tired or stressed like you said.I think this is fairly common in lots of conditions.

Hectors House i can really relate to what you are saying I too have ocd and have recently realised I have as, like you have.I try not to let it get me down though.I dont take any anti depressants but then i dont have a child with special needs to cope with on top of.

I suffered from depression when my daughter had autistic encephalitus for six months and also throughout the subsequent pregnancy of my son and up until he was about 18 months old. :(

I have read though that people with as are more prone to depression.Not sure if this is the case though.

All the parents on this website have mu upmost admiration just for keeping on going and battling on and not giving up. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I suffered depression and IBS, before R's dx and during statementing process and the tribunal's (3 of them), to get him into the AS school he attends now. I'm not on the anti-depressants any more but have lots of really 'down' :crying: days when things get rough! Its all of the worrying about him, but what can you do! :)

Lot's of >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I managed without anti-d's when my ex left me unexpectedly with a 4 year old and 6 month old Twins.

I first took anti-d's when I had a year long fight with the LEA over T's secondary provision. I also started to get IBS and migraines then.

Two types of anti-d's did make me very dizzy, and the third lot made me VERY HAPPY!! I reduced the dose by half, and it was enough to take the edge off it, but still be able to write logical letters and fight the LEA.

I am back on anti-d's now due to the problems with R not going to school for much of last year and now am trying to sort out 16+ placement for T.

When my ex left, I felt I had some control over what happened (eg: I had a solicitor on my side, my ex and I had equal says (to some extent) on what we would agree to).

With the fights with the LEA and education system in general - I felt I had very little control over decisions that were made.

Karen

YE, i've been put on anti-ds

I've had a long battle trying to get doctors to listen to me about kyle.

I was put on them in the summer when things got really bad with him.I went on a all time low,couldn't stop crying and not sleeping.

I have to get on with it as i have 3 other children but some days i just want to lock my bedroom door and hide in my bed :crying:

I have been around forums involving parents of Autistic children for a while. One thing I have noticed is that whenever someone posts a thread with a title like 'Has anyone here ever taken anti-depressants?' there are always loads of replies.

There is no denying that parenting a child with Autism can be challenging, stressful and daunting at times, but the system does not help. Things are stressful enough as it is, without having to fight tooth and nail to get provision and then being talked down to as if your requests are unreasonable.

So far I haven't had to take anything stronger than St John's Wort but who knows what the future holds.

Simon

HH Wrote

GROUP HUG TO ALL MY KRISMITE'S .... WE ARE THE BARKING CLUB

How about changing the name to the Rainham Club? (It's two stops past Barking on the train :P )

I was diagnosed with bi polar disorder (manic depression) I also suffer with eating disorders.

I suffered with all these problems though before my son was born but the added pressure of his Autism made the symptoms a hell of a lot worse at times.

Ive just glanced at youre profile the location given as never far from the funny farm makes a hell of a lot of sence when youre bi polar.

Can i ask did it kinda put you of a bit with the drs.What i mean is because i was bi polar i fealt that the gps wouldnt take my concerns seriously about my son when he was younger.Just kinda put it down to what do you expect when the mothers a physciatric patient.No wonder he childs not right.

But on the other hand you dont want to be on the receiving end of things when im all manicy and fighting for the rights of my young lad.Boy can i kick ar*e.So maybe its worked out well being the bi polar mum of an asperger son.