I pronounce is Asper..jers (with a 'J' sound)

Martin's SENCO pronounces it Asper..gers (like GRRRRRS)

SENCO and I need to say it the same way cos it's driving my poor AS son mad :blink:

So what do you say?

My husband - bless him - who is on the spectrum :blink: called it bumburgers when we first found out.

He did not say this as a joke - which was really scary :blink:

I pronounce it with a J - I used to pronounce it with a G but changed when I heard most people use J

I say Asper jers, consultant says asper gers. Son doesn't like it with the G sound 'cos he says it makes him feel like a (beef) burger!! :D

Luv Witsend.

I was told that to say it with the 'j' sound and not the 'g' sound is an Americanism. As Hans came from Austria it would certainly be the 'g' sound. However David will not say it that way and so we all say it the 'j' way. I wont go into his reason for him not saying it the other way because if I do I will get kicked of the forum :o

Carole

Hello everyone ,

Zemanski would be corrrect with the G and the Austrian/German angle- however at this moment I much prefer the angle with the ...Jer sound. DaisyProudfoot i am affraid I am with your son as I often find it confusing. However the worst thing of all is the way some people pronounce it as ASS-BURGERS now this reaaly gets me quite angry.

Steve..

I think the boy means well but he is distinctly inclined to be inattentive......

Tutor of Winston Churchill to Lord Randolph Churchill,

Winston's father

Edited by Steve_colour-se7en

I go with the hard 'g' as it's linguistically correct. My daughter hates the sound of the word and also rejects the label for herself, preferring to describe herself as autistic, so it's not a word I use that often, I usually talk about high functioning autism or ASD.

I used to say it with a j. Then when I was talking to our first psychiatrist he corrected me and told me it was pronounced with a G. I often find myself using both pronunciations in the same sentence! I prefer the j sounding one, but I do think the G pronunciation is the right one.

Lauren

I was told that to say it with the 'j' sound and not the 'g' sound is an Americanism. As Hans came from Austria it would certainly be the 'g' sound. However David will not say it that way and so we all say it the 'j' way. I wont go into his reason for him not saying it the other way because if I do I will get kicked of the forum :o

Carole

Carole, the curiosity is killing me. What is David's reason for not saying it the other way?? Go on, tell tell :pray::D

Lauren

Can't wait to get my teeth into a mouth-watering ass burger.

Then McDonalds can pilpher it and come up with their own mass produced trash and call it The Big McAnus.

Asperger's name is indeed pronounced how it's spelt, but I don't stick to any particular way because of how I handle written and verbal language: they are completely seperate.

Hi. >:D<<'>

Zemanski is right Asperger is to be pronounce with a G sound not J because it was a family name from German/Austrian origine it is like people distorting your family name, how would you like it? but if anybody say with the j sound I let them carry on as not everybody knows how is the correct pronunciation.

Found it strange that everybody accept to say "burger" with a g sounds why not with a j sound?????

Malika.

I'm in the 'j' camp, pronouncing it 'Ass-perjer'.

J's SENCo writes it Aspberger. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence, does it?

Karen

x

German is my second language and I read Asperger's papers in the original so I cannot say or hear the word any other way; it drives me up the wall to hear 'Asperjers', I have to really bite my tongue when somebody uses it.

To me it's like pronouncing all the endings on french words using english phonics, the language doesn't sound right at all

DonnerWetternocheinmal :lol:

I pronounce it with the 'j' though a lot of the professionals use to 'g'. Am sure the 'g' way is technically correct from my limited knwoledge of german, don't know why I started pronouncing it the 'j' way. Maybe that's what is used colloquially?

No idea where the 'ass burrger' pronunciation comes from, the is no 'b'b in the word yet I hear it said like that a lot

Lx

i know 4 ways to pronunce it as-per-gers as-perj-jers as-per-jers as-perg-gers with regards as to wich one is right not to shure about that but in any case i class the word to be medium length

As I am German I say Aspergers with a G. Zemanski is right and all the others who said so. But then again so many words which we also have in the German language get different pronounced in English....

But Asperger was Austrian and they speak German...so I would say so....

Love,

SylvXXXX

Interesting discussion though....

Hi >:D<<'>

I still don't get it why in English we have to say "finger" with a G sound and "Asperger" with a j sound...???? :D

Does anyone knows??

Malika.

Hi Zemanski >:D<<'>

Yes I know this but I don't understand why people find it difficult to say "Asperger" with a G sound I think because they pronounce it like we would in French, in French any G in front of E or I or Y is pronounced "J" while any G in front of A O U and all consonants is pronouced G, some word have to be pronouce with G + I or E and have to be written adding a (silent) U like GUIDE I chose this because the same word exist in English, in French every spelling is connected to some point of a very complexe grammar with list of exception (or irregularities) we have to learn.

Malika

Hi, i am AS and i always pronounced it as AsperGers, not with the J because it should be pronounced correctly and Mr Asperger was German so thats the way it should be.

Bu thats just my opinion.

And then there was George Bernard Shaw's favourite word - 'ghoti' :devil:

(yes, it is a common English word, just spelt using English rules)

Goes well with chips - had it today for lunch!

I tend to say Asp - erger - a bit like the start of 'aspersions' - unless of course others pronounce the start of that differently as well! :o

But if we were really trying to say it 'right' like how Dr Asperger would have said it shouldn't it be something more like as-pair-ger (with hard G) than as-purr-ger? My German lessons were quite a long time ago.

To appreciate just how illogical and irregular English spelling is, try reading this aloud.

:):hypno:

K x

It's a wonder any of us learn to speak English looking at that Kathryn!

And...I shall now attempt to start saying it with a hard G sound.

Thanks folks!

Now if only AS had been discovered by a Mr. Jones... :rolleyes:

Katheryn, yeah, but knowing our luck he would have been Norwegian and it would have been pronounced Yones!!!! :P

Lauren

Edited by Lauren