pingu

did anyone see pete

Hi folks.

Did anyone see big brother (9pm last night - and 8.30am this morning) Where it showed pete going outside with his pillow, Lisa asked him what he was doing and why he was in the garden etc, he just said he wanted to be outside for a minute, she left him to it and he began to "stim" I use this word as it just seemed that he was releasing all the tension from his body as i guess he had had to supress quite a lot. He used his pillow to "dampen" the noises and he was generally himself for about 3 minutes. After he had finished he said "thats better init" and looked calmer and more able to go back into the house. :clap:

The reason ive mentioned it is because we were watching it and looked at each other and said together "kieran" = this is what we see when kieran gets home from school, only he plays with his plug but all the noises and that are there, this is why i called it "stimming" as its excactly what he does.

Ive been trying to explain for ages what kieran does when hes stimming (to my mum/gran/brothers/school/friends etc) and they all just give me a blank look and say "he swings his plug ... and the problem is where????" as though not quite getting the "need" for kieran. Nor the current problems of this going on quite late at night if he feels the need.

so i guess what im asking is - is this the sort of things that you see? like the intensity to move/flap/squeak and spin all in one go.

Kieran comes in from school picks his plug up goes to my room and does all of the above for about half and hour, only then has he got enough patience to eat his tea. (are you getting what i mean?)

I guess as he gets older he will have to try and 'curb' it a bit and this is what pete reminded me of, because he has curbed it so well so far and he felt he needed that 'private moment' to get it all out of his system.

Later on may i add, whilst watching the live feed an argument broke out over shabaz and whilst everyone was at logger heads pete was doing star jumps onto the cushions looking totally happy with the situation.

I love this guy - i loved eugene last year purely because he was so natural and shared a lot of what was familiar and i must say i love this guy too. I do hope he wins.

Please share your views on the stimming, i would love to hear how others deal with there stress

shaz

Hi Pingu I am really not into big brother and its banned in our house, along with soaps and the majority of reality shows. I just hate the idea of producers making cheap exploitive programmes which I think show kids and people its alright to laugh and pick on others.

I hate the message they sound out, that its alright to be horrible and the more extremeyou are the better you get on. Little p needs the public to help her not think its alright to be horrible.

So soz, I know Im in the minority but I HATE THE PROGRAMME!!!!!!!!!

Hi, don't watch big brother usually but did see a couple of minutes yesterday - I'm confused though - I know I read in the paper that he suffers from Tourettes - but noticed you all mentioning 'stimming' in relation to Tourettes - at the risk of sounding naive is 'stimming' a symptom of Tourettes - it's just that I've never really come across much info about Tourettes and thought (probably wrongly) that Tourettes related to tics (vocally and physically at various degrees with some OCD tendencies).

Many thanks,

Jb

Edited by jb1964

my partner is 37 and he stims i didnt realise there was a word for it, he doesnt use a pillow he crouches and puts his mouth on the floor and does this loud and crazy thing for a few minutes. we just carry on while he does it, he hasnt got tourettes its a build up of stress and like fizzing and then he is calm afterwards

Hi, don't watch big brother usually but did see a couple of minutes yesterday - I'm confused though - I know I read in the paper that he suffers from Tourettes - but noticed you all mentioning 'stimming' in relation to Tourettes - at the risk of sounding naive is 'stimming' a symptom of Tourettes - it's just that I've never really come across much info about Tourettes and thought (probably wrongly) that Tourettes related to tics (vocally and physically at various degrees with some OCD tendencies).

Many thanks,

Jb

If they suppress it and try to 'hold it in' they do eventually have to release all that's built up. Stimming was his way of releasing ALL the build up and Pete then felt 'in control' again to re-enter the house. Stimming was a cocoction of all the tics he had held in so by releasing them all in one go, he was effectively 'stimming'.

I don't watch BB so didn't see lastnight's show but hope that answers the question for you jb. :)

i do this thing called stimming i think. im an 18 year old with AS. i have a bit of an unhealthy way of releasing tho i think, i use a punch bag and thrash it!! it really helps let go of everything that has been building up. i also shout and scream if something goes wrong when i have a meltdown. i like that term, i can see when i have one of these moments when im letting things out i can visualise a candle burning out all my problems. cool huh?

Thanks TM,

My daughter does all that kind of thing (AS) but didn't realise that Tourettes sufferers did it too (never seemed to find much info on this whenever I've looked they just say tic's - vocal/physical etc).

Take care,

Jb

I play guitar chords configurations and 'solo' on the back of my right hand with the fingers of my left hand when stressed out. I have an encyclopedia of guitar solos in my head and depending on what I feel at any given time depends on what solo gets played on my hand. No matter where I am I can open the solo up and hear it in my head and my hands follow what's been played. That's how I stim.

I do that Bid! Only I sort of do it with my mouth and tongue. What I like to do is to imagine a sort of line and the syllables of things I'm thinking about are being put onto that line. It starts off towards the left and perfect balance has to be made by the last syllable falling towards the right of the line.

I also do this thing with numbers where I'll count to 100, then 90, then 80 etc. Then 50, 45, 40 etc.

And I like to do the usual everyday things of tapping my fingers, chewing my gums and rocking and swivelling about on my chairs :D

yep i saw it too, he looked like he lost it this morning though he was with shabaz and couldnt control himself at all, was whisting meowing throwing his arms about grimacing the lot, eventually he calmed down but it upset me to see him so obviously stressed.

my son goes straight to his room and noises emerge for about 15 mins or so, ive never gone in there cos i think its private, hes 12 now and needs his privacy i think, but im sure hes releasing all the pent up squeaks, flaps etc from school which he normally uses freely at home.

hope pete always has that outlet in the house cos hes going to be in there a long time!

Hi I think Pete is great. Im not a big BB fan but enjoyed watching eugene. BB may haved helped some. My son has a "friend" in his small class who admitted a few days ago that he has tourettes - hes 11. My son came home and we had a long discussion. He and the others were all very accepting and admired the child for admitting it. In fact my son asked whether he has it because he sometimes has what I have called vocal tics. Im sure that the child may have only volunteered this info becuase of BB and the press coverage. Well Done BB.

i suppose everyone has different ways of releasing tension, even "nt" people say going to the gym, or having a bath in aromatherapy oils or something. i suppose everyone in their own way deals with tension in different ways. pete's is shouting in a pillow. so be it. i think hes wonderful with a capital W :wub:

I've never watched BB before, just not my thing. But I did watch it last night to see Pete. He really impressed me, the way he is coping. He is proving to be an excellent ambassador I reckon.

Just one question tho, who is that bizarre little man in yellow with the funny voice? The one that thinks putting all the food in the bin is funny? Have I missed something here? :huh: Like I say, it is the first time I've ever watched it.

I've never watched BB before, just not my thing. But I did watch it last night to see Pete. He really impressed me, the way he is coping. He is proving to be an excellent ambassador I reckon.

Just one question tho, who is that bizarre little man in yellow with the funny voice? The one that thinks putting all the food in the bin is funny? Have I missed something here? :huh: Like I say, it is the first time I've ever watched it.

that is shebaz, who has now left!. he asked to leave but he shouldnt have been there in the first place, he was very fragile mentally and needed 4 hrs counselling when he came out. poor soul.

yep pete is doing great so far but it is only the first week! lol

I've been watching BB and at first thought it was quite disgusting that they had put Pete into the show just for their ratings. But now i think if it makes people aware of Tourettes then it can't be a bad thing altogether and he seems to be holding his own! :notworthy:

My Son does this really loud roar, pretends he's king kong and i think thats a release for him!

When i was younger (my friend used to do the same!) and my Mum would tell me off or i wasn't allowed out i'd go to my room and scream into my pillow! :blink:

I think it's fabulous to see Pete on Big Brother, I don't think it's exploitation at all. He is intelligent enough to know what he has let himself in for and does a grand job of dealing with the reactions to his tics and noises. I did get a bit anxious when he was screaming into the pillow but straight afterwards he said 'that's better' I realised that he was ok and it was just his way of dealing with things. He'll do great in BB and hopefully is raising the profile of Tourettes and gaining more public understanding of the condition which can never be a bad thing.

I also do weird little things like I have to touch each fingertip with my thumb!

I remember a newspaper article in which the entire housemates as they went in were revealed and refered to as 'freaks and attention-seekers'. They were each scaled on a 1 to 5 in bizzarreness and I did have a good mind to complain because it was really offensive.

Pete with Tourettes scored the only 5 out of 5, purely because he had Tourettes, though the paper claimed he was also a 'fetishist' though I have yet to see any behaviour from Pete that would back up that claim. The other two who scored 4 out of 5 seemed to only score so high because they were both gay.

So if you're gay or have a neurodiverse condition, the Daily Star considers you worthy of the most alienation. Nevermind the fact that there is a nobleman in the house, I've rarely ever seen a royal or a noble, so to me that would be far more rare or bizzarre and there is definately more gays and people with Tourettes in the UK than royals and nobles.

I remember a newspaper article in which the entire housemates as they went in were revealed and refered to as 'freaks and attention-seekers'. They were each scaled on a 1 to 5 in bizzarreness and I did have a good mind to complain because it was really offensive.

Pete with Tourettes scored the only 5 out of 5, purely because he had Tourettes, though the paper claimed he was also a 'fetishist' though I have yet to see any behaviour from Pete that would back up that claim. The other two who scored 4 out of 5 seemed to only score so high because they were both gay.

So if you're gay or have a neurodiverse condition, the Daily Star considers you worthy of the most alienation. Nevermind the fact that there is a nobleman in the house, I've rarely ever seen a royal or a noble, so to me that would be far more rare or bizzarre and there is definately more gays and people with Tourettes in the UK than royals and nobles.

You really should stop reading the Daily Star - it's not the 'done thing' in H'gate :D

im quite taken with pete.when i first saw him come into the house in big brother ....he reminded me of the guys from Madness the singing group....lol...i have a twenty three year old son who has erm issues..but is about to be adult assesed....when we found out what was wrong with louis everything fell into place for my big son to...i have to say i was flabberghasted....and pete has a lot of my big sons traits...i like him....love noogsy

have you noticed how pete goes around all the group stroking and cuddling up to them :P

everytime i tune in hes sat up agaisnt someone -he reminds me of a cat :P the way he strokes and hangs round the other folk .i think its great . :D

i think he has a look of mat dillion too, :whistle:

I think Pete is probably the most likeable person in there and I think I would probably feel that way even without knowing about his Tourettes as he is not setting out to upset, belittle or ###### about anyone!

Watching it last night I really felt for him as he seems to be struggling with understanding the social/emotional stuff going on with Lisa, its sweet in a funny way.

He seems really confused by it but there is clearly a connection between him and Lisa.

So if you're gay or have a neurodiverse condition, the Daily Star considers you worthy of the most alienation.

Woohoo, do I get 9 out of 5 for being both, then?

I don't like Big Brother very much.

ooh stop reading the daily star, nasty rag! lol

Pete did mention that he had been to fetish clubs shortly after they went in the house, I think it was when they were discussing Lea being in X rated movies.