Gerrard

Please Allow Me To Introduce Myself

Hello....My name is Gerrard..42 years old and diagnosed last Monday October 30th. Although I am quite positive at the moment about the diagnosis I feel at a bit of a loose end as the post diagnosis support courses dont begin until January, not too far away, but long enough to feel my life is stopping and starting again. (A bit too dramatic?). The Adult Autism Team have been great and have given me some contacts ie, social groups, employment and education advice etc. I'm trying to keep some momentum going while I feel postive. Playing guitar and music generally keeps me quite level. I'm just trying to establish contact with other adults with aspergers I suppose.

Edited by Gerrard

Hi Gerrard!

Welcome to the forum! There are several other adults on here with the same diagnosis - I'm afaid I'm not one of them but it's a little quiet on here this pm so I thought I'd jump in with the first greeting :lol: - and I'm sure you will find whatever you want on here, be it answers, support, new pals. We're a friendly bunch and I'm sure you'll be glad you found us.

All the best

Ohf!

Hello ohforaquietlife and thanks for your reply and welcome. I look forward to meeting as many people as possible who have experienced AS personally or through family. I havn't told my family and not sure I will for the moment so its could to be able to discuss things on this basis

Gerrard

One of the best things about this forum is being able to maintain some anonimity if you want to and ask questions that you wouldn't feel comfortable airing with friends and family. Ask anything you want and you'll receive many different and helpful perspectives. It's great!

Ohf!

Thanks again Ohf! I'll be back on soon. Unfortunately I'm not online at home at the moment so I'm using the library at my old Uni for the time being. Chat soon

Gerrard

Hi Gerrard,

A warm welcome to the forum. :)

You'll find lots of information and support here: have a good browse, and if you can't find what you're looking for, please ask.

I'm the parent of a 17 year old diagnosed with AS a couple of years ago. This forum was a great source of help when I was looking for answers: I hope you find it a good resource too.

I look forward to "talking" to you here.

Kathryn x

Hi Gerrard, and welcome.

I am a 25-year-old with Asperger's.

Diagnosis can be confusing to come to terms with, but ultimately it eill enable you to understand yourself better.

Tally.

Hi Gerard

Looks like you and me are in a similar boat (I'm 32 and was diagnosed with AS in April of this year). I won't sugar coat it as things will be tough at times but I found that knowing why I was 'different' has been a big help. That and the people here are great

If you want to ask anything just do

Neil

PS Any chance you could let mw know what your 'contacts' are? I got no help whatsoever ('support courses'?) and am feeling a little isolated right now (PM me if you prefer) :(

Edited by TheNeil

Hi Gerrard and welcome to the forum.The crew here are a very warm and informative bunch of people.Hope you gain as much support as I have. :D:D Karen

Edited by Karen A

hi welcome to this forum ..i have found comfort in realizing i am not alone in my weirdness...and there are lots of people as odd as me.... :wub::rolleyes:>:D<<'> love noogsy

Hello Neil.....thanks for the reply. The Adult Autism Team have been most helpful to me. Unfortunately the service is in Glasgow and I don't know about the rest of the UK. Prospects run various courses that may be helpful. I meet with an Aspergers co-ordinator from Strathclyde Autistic Society...its early doors so I'm not sure what other facilities or services are available as yet. If I hear of anything I'll let you know.

Prospects

Gerry

Hi Gerrard, if the adult autism team are based in maryhill i think they provide a drop in service as well. I have also found Strathclyde Autistic society very helpful.I dont know too much about adult provision in Glasgow but if you are looking for any help with nice cafes in glasgow that are calm relaxed and friendly i have found a few.Also my daughter attends a ski club in Glasgow (not sure if im allowed to say the name) and the staff are very friendly and the instructor told me they have tutored quite a few children with aspergers (again not sure about adults sorry). They have been fantastic with us and i would recommend it.A big warm welcome to this forum i am quite new myself and i love reading all the posts and i hope you enjoy it too.

Nicola

[Hi Nicola thanks for the welcome and info. The centre is indeed in Maryhill....the ARC (Autism Resource Centre) and been meeting with the guy from Strathclyde. Love to know where the cafe is as I'm trying to steer my social life away from just going to the pub. I'll maybe put my email on for a short time

Gerry

Hi Gerry the cafes i like best and that cope well with all our requests are in Dennistoun. No1 is Cafe Sejuiced, this is in the WASPS factory on Hanson St Just beside the old Wills factory on Alexandra Pde the owners are lovely and the food is all fresh organic and homemade.WASPS factory is artist studios and there are also classes run on a regular basis(pottery, painting, glass etching etc) No2 is Hillfoot Cafe on Hillfoot St just off Duke St lovely food also homemade and lots of organic but also do typical cafe food.

No3 is Tibo Cafe on Duke St very relaxed very west end and organic homemade food. willing to adapt menu (so are No1+2).Lots of Cafes i Byres Rd in west end are good.La Tasca in Renfield St have lots of g/f and veggie options.

The Chip in Ashton Lane, very good pub very relaxed (also nice food) the occassional River City actors and very good mix of people.

The ski centre is in bellahouston park and does adult lessons too very relaxed place with lovely staff. As you can probably tell i live in the east end and now and again visit the west end for a wee drink but my last job had me all over Glasgow for meetings etc andi found a few in the southside as well I cant think of any in the north right now but if its not too far for you try out the ones in Dennistoun.

Good Luck

Nicola

Hello to Moira as well.

Hi my names jane

i hope i have this right this time.im new at these sort of things.i have a daughter who is twenty with asperger.i have been looking for help for 17 years and to read about all you wonderful people the advice is great and learning i am not alone struggling to help my daughter.my daughter is twenty now she has gone to college to finish what she has always wanted to do.this is great until something in her world goes wrong.as long as her jigsaw puzzle stays together we make progress but we take 20 steps back if it goes wrong.she is also a young mum so i need to help out as every day to day living is hard for her.i have found no help from social except to them she needs to go to the mental unit for help....i dont think so that was 7 years ago.to me we have achieved so much.ok we did not plan for her to be a young mum.we do have the aggression but thankfully it is now more at me than the public or family.i have to help with the everyday sorting out of living for her but she has her own place for her and the babes.she copes from a wednesday eve to a sunday eve without me.of course i get the 10 or 20 calls a day when im not there but with praise of how well she is coping seems to help her alot.cor it is so good to share with people who understand.

could i just say a big thanks for this post to be able to express to all of you who understand.

Hi my names jane

i hope i have this right this time.im new at these sort of things.i have a daughter who is twenty with asperger.i have been looking for help for 17 years and to read about all you wonderful people the advice is great and learning i am not alone struggling to help my daughter.my daughter is twenty now she has gone to college to finish what she has always wanted to do.this is great until something in her world goes wrong.as long as her jigsaw puzzle stays together we make progress but we take 20 steps back if it goes wrong.she is also a young mum so i need to help out as every day to day living is hard for her.i have found no help from social except to them she needs to go to the mental unit for help....i dont think so that was 7 years ago.to me we have achieved so much.ok we did not plan for her to be a young mum.we do have the aggression but thankfully it is now more at me than the public or family.i have to help with the everyday sorting out of living for her but she has her own place for her and the babes.she copes from a wednesday eve to a sunday eve without me.of course i get the 10 or 20 calls a day when im not there but with praise of how well she is coping seems to help her alot.cor it is so good to share with people who understand.

could i just say a big thanks for this post to be able to express to all of you who understand.

Hi Jane

You've certainly come to the right place as there are people here who are in all sorts of different situations and can offer all sorts of advice, viewpoints etc.

I really hope that you find the answers that you're looking for...the first step of course is to start asking :thumbs:

Hello Nic M....thanks for that. I know Wasps quite well, been to a gig/exhibition there once.....and tried to hire a room for spray painting. Havn't eaten in any of those places so far but I'll check them out. Used to work as a chef so I enjoy the odd busmans holiday >:D<<'> Good to see places like this opening up in the old East End

Gerry