Sign in to follow this  
nellie

After Thomas - ITV Drama 26th Dec. 9 pm.

Drama - After Thomas.

TUESDAY 26 DECEMBER 9:00pm - 11:00pm - ITV1 Meridian

Drama starring Keeley Hawes and Ben Miles. True story of how a couple desperate to connect with their autistic son find an unexpected answer to their problems. Six-year old Kyle Graham is scared of everything and retreats into the security of his autistic world. But his parents fear for his future if he cannot learn to interact with others, putting a strain on their marriage in the process. Could Thomas, a golden retriever puppy make a difference in this unhappy household?

I will be watching it hopefully along with J and his Puppy!

I have researched into animals and children with diabilities and it has one certain fact that children and animals are very compatable with each other, the research took me into looking at research of the Dogs for the Disabled organisation and in one part of britain they have started a trial where they are giving them to families who have Autisitic children for this reason that they have provided benefit for social interaction, affection and understanding that is already their for the dog and the child.

its the same for horses, and dolphins they are theraputic and excellent for calming, soothing and developing different areas of social skills.

The website is really good have a look at the dogs for the disabled.

www.dogsforthedisabled.org

there is information on the site what animals bring to autistic children and how they can help in settings that autistic children may fing distressing, such as public transport, supermarkets, ect....

The organisation are not doing the project in my area for the autistic children but it did add understanding to why getting a dog for J was the right thing to do.

JsMum

I'm bringing this topic back to remind those who wish to watch it. I 'll watch it though I have mixed feeling about the issue of the puppy. I hope this drama doesn't try to say that a pet is the answer for autism.! :o

My son has lived with pets all his life and I can't see that theys have made a big difference for his communication. Most of the time I've had to protect the pets from my son!!

He learned to treat them gently only after he was 10 years old, though he has certainly always loved them to bits.

Curra

I hope this drama doesn't try to say that a pet is the answer for autism.! :o

My son has lived with pets all his life and I can't see that theys have made a big difference for his communication. Most of the time I've had to protect the pets from my son!!

He learned to treat them gently only after he was 10 years old, though he has certainly always loved them to bits.

My son is totally oblivious to our cat, he ignores her and she ignores him, it's pretty mutual really!! :lol:

~ Mel ~

Keeley Hawes does the voice of Lara Croft in the Tomb Raider games now; the middle-aged woman that used to do it won't be middle-aged for much longer.

I may watch the programme just to see what I find wrong with it and complain about.

I'll be watching - I've read before about dogs and the empathy many of them have with people with disabilities, so i think it'll be an interesting program.

My son is around midway on the spectrum, and we have a 5month old staff X, and they are very attached to each other. And if nothing else its teaching C to look after something else, and to tidy up his toys or she will chew them to bits! :D

One of our friends has 9yo severly autistic son, with 2 older NT daughters. They recently got a yellow lab, and the dog immediately attached himself to the son, and watches him like a hawk. It remains to be seen how the son responds as time goes by, they've only had the pup a few months.

Its not a cure, which I hope the program doesnt send that message out, but if its something that makes the life of an autistic child happier, easier, more able to communicate, then that has to be a good thing.

Paula

We'll be watching too........I agree with the previous posts, I think an animal may be of benefit, but hope the programme doesn't leave those watching with a view that a pet will cure autism. Our eldest dd adores animals, and everything she reads and plays with is centred around animals. Her bedroom is the same, full of animal posters, books, toys, cuddly toys etc . Our youngest dd is terrified of most animals, and always has been. She used to become hysterical if a dog was even walking the same path as us, no matter how far away they were. She doesn't show any interest in the pets we have (hamsters and goldfish) and if we visit a park with animals (farms, zoo's etc) she is completely disinterested in them.

Edited by Bagpuss

One day there shall be a factual drama featuring an Autistic child that amazingly shows progress for utterly no reason at all. No animals. No miracle treatments. Nowt but a little understanding here and there.

Might not be as interesting to some people though.

Hi I have just watched After Thomas-Yes it may be a little idealistic.I do not think a dog is the answer for every child with ASD.However my OH and I certainly identified with the parent's stresses and frustrations.I think the film could be a big help in increasing understanding amongst the general public which can only be a good thing.Karen.

Watched it too... it was lovely - a happy Boxing-day-feel-good story. Too idealistic for me though. I'm with Curra on the pets one.... it's actually made life harder in our house. C got a puppy during the summer hols - Buttons, a Beagle... lovely happy bouncy playful, etc. Buttons was supposed to be his friend, his companion to make up for his lack of human ones. The reality - Buttons is petrified of C :blink: During the first week of having him, C kicked him across the kitchen floor, and things deteriorated from there. He will now go out of his way to avoid him. C doesn't actually hurt him anymore, but runs at him, and flaps, and spins, and shouts..... all the usual stuff. But he is hurt by Button's obvious fear of him and cannot understand it. Seemed like a good idea at the time.......

Really good, and I am so pleased for the family that it is based on because of how much it helped. I could have cried for her in the situations in the street, and especially the shoe shop, and dirtying clothes to try to fake them as old, been there.

Quite strange actually as we have had a dog now for over 2 years which my oldest ASD son hated, dog didn't like him much either because of the noises, flapping, jumping etc, until this week we thought oh dog was a bad idea. We ended up with a rescue pup this weekend, friend found her with someone with a rifle to her head day before Christmas Eve and took her, couldn't keep her so I said I would take care of her until we find a home, but I think she is staying.

My sons really taken to her, much like the boy on the drama, and he sits with her which he's never done with the other, even talking to her. Swiping toys off the other dog for her and hiding them. It's quite strange for us as he hated the other so much, couldn't even stand the smell of him, but since she arrived it's been so different. He hasn't hidden in his room as much, coped better when we had a visitor today as he sat with her under the vivarium. He keeps coming down to ask for something tonight, and when I go to get it I come back in and he's sat with her. Seems as if it's just an excuse to come down.

Anyway, pleased I watched it, haddn't heard about it until a friend mentioned it on the phone just before it started.

Oh and this is Holly, the new addition to our family

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/lil_me/Image009.jpg

Youngest son wanted to call her Reindeer (current obsession) :o:lol:

Edited by lil_me

Isn't she, poor little girl nearly got shot, and because of how well the other dog and my son, have taken to her, which is totally unexpected, I don't think she'll be going anywhere. The plan initially was just to rehome her after Christmas. Need to get her checked over at the vets some time this week, they were closed when I got her back here on Saturday, but hopefully all will be ok.

Edited by lil_me

Hi

Thought this drama has been the only (may not have seen them all) one so far to portray what life is like for some parents with an ASD child. It really struck a chord with me and I had to bite my lip so as not to snibble! Really hope that it may make some people think twice before automatically assuming a child is badly behaved. I also felt that the drama was sensitive without being sensationalist.

Caroline.

I liked this because it did give a fairly realistic view of life with an autistic child and the stresses it can bring, and also how it can change the dynamics in the parents relationship too.

The downside is that those who dont know about autism will now believe that a dog can make every autistic child progress - which obviously is not the case. I bet I get at least one or two 'you should get a dog' comments. Well I already have one, and two cats, which Logan loves but hasn't bonded with in that way.

One of the better shows I've watched though.

Lynne x

I ENJOYED IT BUT MY HUSBAND FOUND IT HARD IT HARD TO WATCH.

I LIKED THE WAY IT SHOWED THE FAMILY DYNAMICS AND HOW DIFFERNT RELATIVES INTERACTED. THE GRANDPARENTS WERE BRILLIANT BUT THE UNTIE AND UNCLE WITH THEIR TYPICAL KIDS REALLY DIDNT GET IT DID THEY?

We used to have a dog, a lovely tiny mongrel, and cats but M never didn't bond with them until he was about 10 years old, and most of the times he treated them too roughly. When he was 6 he squeezed one of the cats and she remained motionless on the floor not breathing for many seconds. Ever since that day I ve constantly watched that no harm is done to our pets.

I think that each case is different and in the case of the family in the TV drama, the puppy was an excellent idea, though it was very sad that Thomas had to be put to sleep. Thomas also seemed to make the parents relax and enjoy their daily lives more. When children see their parents smile and laugh they become more responsive.

My son's case was entirely different since he was very talkative and articulate as a toddler so no one really suspected that he could be in the autistic spectrum. He was aggressive to other children (and pets) and still is in a way. He also said for the first time that he loved me at more or less the same age as Kyle. At that point during the tv drama I became tearful. M who was watching it with me just held my hand :crying:

I enjoyed the drama, but every time I watched these plays about autism I see how much "more autistic" my son is despite all his articulateness and talents compared to the child portrayed . But I could relate with the family dynamics and the problems faced by the couple :(

Curra

I watched the programme and it did indeed have a feel warm factor.

My autistic son watched it with me as the school scenes were filmed at the school he was asked to leave because he showed too many autistic traits. He seemed to like seeing the building again though, and some of the kids were in his tutor group.

Hopefully th film will have made the staff there more aware of the impact on the whole family, especially as its not an asd specific school, and most of the students are ebd.

my husband and i watched it and kind of really enjoyed it inbetween tears! We almost felt it was autobiographical as we could identify with so many of the scenarios! I thought that the itv people did really well with this one as it gave a good snapshot into the life of a family with an autistic child. I'm hoping that my outlaws watched this as they have achieved comment of the season!! "I don't know what you are worrying about You are over sensitive and being over protective with him, He will be fine" They actually are thinking that we have all got this one wrong!!! Roll on family lunch tomorrow as apparently it 'Will be an experiment!!!!" ie If he copes then he is cured and if not then he is probably just naughty.....Whoopee Any one needing a diagnosis overturning then I'll pass on my outlaws phone number!!!!!!!! :lol::lol:

I've just finished watching it now as we video-taped it.

I really enjoyed it, lots of tears and giggles, especially when he told his uncle what he thought of him, lol.

It was very sensitive and showed the impct on the family relationships which often people from outside just do not realise.

>:D<<'>

I enjoyed it too. When I read the pre-programme billing of a child's personal nightmare (from whose perspective??) of autism and about the effect of the dog I thought it was going to be a 'dog cures autism' type dramatisation and felt annoyed that no-one is interested in making a positive programme about autistic children that doesn't involve a wonder cure.

However when I watched it it really wasn't like that. It seemed fairly well researched and we could related to a lot of it. My H and I raised eyebrows several times at things the parents were doing like trying to explain facial expressions. It wasn't that the dog 'cured' the boy either, he still had his tantrums and his autistic features like when his echolalia and trying out speech on the dog. I suppose the dog was a way in. Afterwards my H and I agreed that it really wasn't just about a dog but finding something to help the child connect. We've seen similar improvements in DS1 since having a second child and a relationship they have that no-one else really does with DS1

Lx

I enjoyed it (and shed a few tears too!) - it seemed well researched and didnt portray the dog as a cure, it was, as someone has said, a way in. (I've done the talking as something else to Connor, usually with his fave cuddly toy!).

I loved the bit round the christmas table when he was very 'straight' with the not so fab uncle - priceless!!! I have to be really careful what i say when connors around, as he would (and has done) repeated something I've said previously! :o

It was nice where they gave the updates at the end on how well Kyle was doing, and that he was actually studying child-care.

Well done to ITV.

Paula

I could not help laughing at the church where the lad repetitively shouted a certain word, and, of course, where he put his uncle right at the dinner table.

Now, to me, these episodes of swearing could suggest that the child has Tourette's Syndrome (not that everyone with TS swears) - or is it common for kids with autism to swear both in and out of context?

I enjoyed it.......lots of tears though. I found alot of the scenes very close to home.....even comments made by passer bys and relatives etc. I also liked the fact that the dog wasn't portrayed as a cure for autism and it gave an update at the end of the drama and how the family, thomas and kyle had fared........my mum was going to watch it to.....just praying she doesn't turn up this week in a golden retriever in her arms :wacko::unsure::lol::lol:

Forgot to say above that the part I found most poignant was at the end when he said he loved his mother. Adam has never said he loves me :( though I know he does from his behaviour and actions :), he just doesn't know what the word means and looks at me quizzically when I say I love him :unsure: . I think the day he does say he loves me will be a very special one though.

Am so glad the flipping dog didn't die! Was very concerned it was going to go to doggie heaven especially with the title After Thomas. Didn't figure that meant 'After Thomas' (arrives) LOL!

Lx

I'm still waiting for "Dad, I'm off out to play with......." after 12 years. A dog wouldn't suit my lad, he hates them and took such a dislike to our cats, we had to get rid of them to save the poor things, he'd go for them. He relates much more to me than his mum too, which is a shame....

I didn't watch this (I was too busy being miserable)(and I still haven't forgiven ITV for the ASD related 'docu-drama') but my mum did and she phoned up today to tell me so. She apparently got really upset at various points not only because of what the little boy was going through but because it finally registered with her what I (and indeed most ASD people) go through. She said that she spotted bits and pieces that she thought anyone unconnected to the spectrum might have missed, but that it also made a lot of the things that I've tried to explain to her, make sense. I think she gained an insight into my little world (at long <insert rude word here> last).

She got upset at the attitude of his uncle and aunt (and the way that they assumed that he was just badly behaved) the fact that he couldn't express how he felt towards her etc. She was also impressed by the fact that they included an update at the very end and a helpline number.

Typically I can't see a repeat anywhere in the TV listings - grr.

Hi guys,my eldest son audtioned for this part with Pippa Hall a couple of summers ago but the director felt my son was to old to play the part.I thought on the whole it was good but a little misleading based on my experiance with my son and nephew, in some parts regarding the social communication disorder .We have tried a dog and my ds2 wouldnt go near it in the two years the dog was living with us. My ds2 knows who his parents are and so does my nephew, does anyone here have that experiance?

I enjoyed the programme, yup, bit idealistic (my son and my dog barely look at each other!), but IMO showed a good understanding of autism and the effects on a family.

Reminded me so much of my son at around three - brought back lots of memories - not least the shear terror you feel going down your back just before attempting Clarks! :crying::lol: . The explaining facial expressions set me off :tearful: . Reminded me of when M was around 2 and i had realized he didn't recognise or use facial expressions. I spent 3 months sitting in front of him and getting him to look at my mouth - when he did this, he has a choccy button.... 3 months saying 'smiling' and smiling at him.... 3 months asking him to smile.......... etc....etc..........etc.... Reminded me how far he has now come :wub: .

I didn't find any of it offending, and with any luck, it's raised awareness that little bit further................

I watched it and really enjoyed it it was well done ,and a lot of it could have been my own son,especially when he was calmed by watching Thomas the tank videos,i smiled to myself as at the age of 20 we got him the new Thomas Tank dvd for xmas and a thiomas annual he still loves them in fact all steam trains,the bit in the church brought a chuckle to me as i could have seen kieran doing that as well as he is free with his choice words especially in anger.it certainly hopefully raised awareness of what parents with Autistic Children go through

lynn

I watched it and enjoyed it. So often when these sorts of programmes are on, the reality is over dramatised, or completely misrepresented. It was a good story with a bit of hope, put on at a time when it would hopefully get a fair amount of interest from the general public.

WEll done for once to the TV channel!

It did not have to be a dog - it could have been anything. What happened was they found 'the' thing' that worked for that child. It would be lovely if every parent could find 'the thing' that works for their child. Sadly many do not :( However I felt that it was a good portrayal allin all and you can't ask for more than that.

Cat

tricky watched it with me, and i think(?) it actually made him aware of his autism, altho he isnt as severe as kyle there was many similarities. we put a pile of beads on the table and said kyle had this many beads of autism and tricky has this many, i think he got a rough idea until he went around the house shouting ive got 15 beads of autism!!! having said that he also got quite upset, and asked if he upsets me as much as kyle upset his mummy!

aww bless :wub: