Cariad

What keeps you sane?

I think we all know how stressful it can be with a child with special needs, but what keeps you sane?

Mine is wine and chocolate...mind you i have to start back at the gym as i'm piling on the pounds :lol:

What do you do to relax?

Definitely play the piano!!!!!

Sane?? What's that? :P;)

Goodness knows!

Some days i manage to appear saner than normal :lol: .

I have a ridiculous sense of humour - which helps :D .

Sleep!!! and lots of it... If I don't get at least 8 hours of sleep a night I go completely doolally... (as oppose to the half doolally I usually am :P )

Flo' zzzzzzzzzzz

Defo chocolate!!!!

My only social nite out is slimming world on a tuesday, but its that one thing thats just for me and which i control, so that really helps. xx

sane? definatly not!! i frequently forget who i am for 10 minutes each day! lol

seriously tho to keep sane i just lock my lips with reggie! ( yes ok settle down reggie is my flute ok!!)

SANE??? :lol::lol: don't make me laugh, I've got chapped lips!

:D

You got chapped lips Baddad?? Here's a cure. go to the nearest field of horses lift one's tail up and kiss it on the behind. Doesn't necessarily cure them but it will stop you licking them!!

MB

Friends, mainly. I don't boast to have that many but those that I do have are amazing.

The odd glass of red, and Green and Black's chocolate (although I'm going cold turkey on that just now, overdid it a bit at half term and felt like a proper bloated old frump).

Cooking, especially baking. I find it really therapeutic. Made a gorgeous batch of chocolate banana muffins yesterday - hadn't made any for ages as J's on the gf diet and they're not the same. So I got therapy AND chocolate!

Karen

x

Talking to the animals (it's ok they don't talk back yet :lol: ), and meeting up with a friend once a week. Youngest dd says I think more of the animals than I do her :o

Hiya

Mine's wine too (or whiskey when things are really bad!!! :blink: )

A :crying: good cry helps too sometimes as I always seem to feel ready to carry on after one .

Best one though is a phonecall to my Mum(who I still need at the age of 37 and am not ashamed to admit it) or a 'coffee club' meeting with friends for a good moan over a latte :thumbs:

Gail

Running and Star Trek!

I'm training for my first 10k race in the Spring and the days when I go out for a run and then come back and get my Star Trek fix whilst eating my lunch, make me feel like a real life person again! :lol::lol:

~ Mel ~

I hum all day....gets on peoples nerves around me...also pace...also gets on peoples nerves around me.......and spin things in my hand...gets rid of the stress

My eldest definitely wouldn't agree with me if I said I was sane....... but then, what keeps me sane (well, in my eyes anyway) is to go up the moors and goecache, preferable with friends, whatever the weather. Well, when the gales get too bad we do go home. And then when I come home with stories of Dartmoor ponies trying to eat my lunch out of my hands, of crossing streams that are really too swollen, or of splashing through miles of mud, and all this to find a small plastic container at the end of it, my eldest definitely feels I am mad!!!

Shoveling s--t at the stables on a Saturday and Sunday morning and then letting B "off the lead" to run around in the mud and muck and pinch the ponies. Usually have to strip him on the doorstep cos he is so mucky when we get home but then he is happy and calm in the afternoon and we get some peace.

definatley chocolate and more chocolate ,

and the forums, letting of steam and knowing

i'm not alone helps, and if all else fails a good cry......

Very, VERY loud music :dance::dance::D

But, lil one doesn't like it looouuuud - so it has to be in mypob (.....not rich enough for an IPod - so i have an 'ol MP3 player - therefore named 'mypob'... :blink: .). Gawd knows what my neighbours must think of me.. :P:rolleyes::dance::D .

I do try at least to be sane so here goes my list

Cycle, swim, run, walk TJ.

massage, or a facial, back and shoulders rub.

a hair cut and blow dry, maybe a colour?

chill out and veg for just an hour??when is a good question but when its really bad!!!

watch a tear jerker DVD and then cry for the entire day and night :crying:

talk, sing, hum, :whistle: and then if that doesnt work I scream to let it all out.

go to bed and sleep and one day I sleep in, normally sundays

I love my voluntering work and interact with other adults and its a great place to work as its a theraputic setting :P so its all art therapy, music, dance, sports, looking at the 40s and 50s which is so interesting.

I like to eat healthy and lots of good energy, often I cook some porrage, just to give myself a boost.

I am a real believer in look after yourself first so you can look after others well.

JsMum

i keep sane by :shame::shame: shut it bighead before you even start :devil::devil:

reading magazines,real life story ones,helps me to see people have much bigger problems than me

walking,i love a good walk,always feel better when i get back

this forum defo

its not alcohol cos i never drink indoors,no point i dont think if you cant have a good old dance :dance::dance:

my mum :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Er...I don't think I am :unsure::unsure::lol:

Bid

But, I do laike...

anything with sequins on

haircut/highlights

new matching bra and knickers sets

anything with sequins on

chocolate

work (sometimes)

wine

anything with sequins on

a hair cut and blow dry, maybe a colour?

Use to love this to till my hairdresser went mobil and started to bring her 18mth son now it a nightmare!

Edited by dolly

For me today.............

Uninterrupted bath (never happens round here!!)............

Sunshine :D ...............

And a brand new handbag................ :thumbs::thumbs::hypno:

:lol:

Edited by smiley

Great thread. What keeps me sane?

Wine at weekends

laughing with boyfriend whose take on life is refreshingly different to everyone elses!

cooking enormous sunday lunches (accompanied by aforementioned wine)

reading fashion mags

buying clothes (and I'm with you Hev love charity shop shopping)

walking dogs and getting wet and muddy

tea and crumpets and DVD evenings

odd bit of sex :oops: can I say that here? :P

kissing the kids goodnight (when they are asleep) and thinking they are actually gorgous after all!! :)

Nice to know what others do when we're 'off duty'

Luv Witsend.

Sanity whats that?! Don't need an ASD child to drive me insane. Managed that myself. After all that is the only reason I can think I'm still going into teaching after one of the classes I support last week. Teacher even asked why I'd ever want to teach. My reply was I enjoy working with children. Then she asked what you'd be happy teaching this lot? That got a rather rapid negative response (please note all students had gone home by this point. We'd just been discussing various things. Including (as all my conversations seem to at the moment) autism, in particular related to an AS student in that class in this instance.) Also enough people tell me I'm insane often enough that I'm begining to believe it must be true! Lifes fun at the moment so wouldn't want to change anything. Well apart from get more stuff to do. :)

[sorry don't seem to be able to do concise replies tonight. Waffling is coming far more naturally.]

Sleeeeeeep!! :crying::crying:

I didn't manage to get to sleep until 2.30 last night - and i've been feeling bleugh all day. :(

On the plus........ Just got back from a new NAS branch launch party.... :D

GREAT to speak to other parents :D:D:thumbs: