Sign in to follow this  
Teaorcoffee

You or someone you know

Is it you or someone you know that has Aspergers/Autism?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Is it you or someone you know that has Aspergers/Autism?

• Me
    • Someone else
    • Both

I've got aspergers syndrome. I got dx at 16 :angry: Why did it take so long? The signs were all there.

Myself (aged 41), my wife (aged 35) and my son (aged 14) all have Asperger Syndrome.

I was only diagnosed a couple of months ago, my son was diagnosed when he was 7, and my wife is self-diagnosed.

My son was DX last year (although an NHS Dr disagrees & says its "only mild ASD not Aspergers :wallbash: ), he is 11 now and also was showing quite obvious signs when he was 3-4.

If only i knew that at the time!

Where do I start?

My son, Louis has Aspergers, Dx officially this september (Aged 7), but paed thought he had it last september (aged 6).

My Sister has Aspergers.

I believe my brother has Aspergers (never dx'd)

2 of my cousins have Aspergers.

I've got aspergers syndrome. I got dx at 16 :angry: Why did it take so long? The signs were all there.

I think sometimes the problems can be hidden somewhat and people don't realise what is going on. So they probably looked at you with your aspergers traits and thought 'he's eccentric' or 'it's just a phase' or something like that. Many people haven't heard of autism and aspergers syndrome, even in this day and age when we are supposed to be more aware, so when they see a person with either condition they don't know that there is a problem, or a reason why you might appear to be different to NT people.

I have heard from parents of children with Aspergers syndrome especially that it is very difficult to get a diagnosis if their child can talk, plays with others, has imagination etc. as those are the things that the rule book says autistic people can't do. It doesn't take into account that people can be autistic and only have some of the stereotypical behaviours.

My 9 year old son is still waiting to be dx.

I have had problems with him since birth.I would say ASD signs showed about age 3 :wallbash:

My 11 yo son was dx with AS aged 8. My 8 year old son was dx with semantic pragmatic disorder aged 6 but we now know that he's HFA.

Lauren

Jordan diagnosed at 8 after waiting 2 years.

Husband undx'd but doctors put funny doctor speak - such as - "interestingly, father does not think Jordan has any problems".

My old man only speaks when there is something he needs to say - and at one appointment for our son, he was telling the doctor all the details about the train set inthe loft and how many floorboards it had taken to board out the loft, and the concertina loft ladder was brill etc etc...... Doctor asked him - "so what do you and Jordan do with the train set" - old man thought this was very strange question to ask - "we watch the trains going round of course" he said.

My father in law is the funniest though - you could write a book about him - he is so typical AS - however, he recognises it in my old man and reckons he got it from his grandfather!!

You do not have to be patient to live in my world - but it helps!!

Love

Helen

PS - Supersec - hope you hear something soon from LEA - I am off to Tribunal on Monday to help support a friend.