Sign in to follow this  
lorryw

my non verbal son spoke!!

On Saturday my next door neighbour got married. We popped next door for 1/2 an hour whilst my 16 year old nephew stayed with my non verbal, autistic 20 year old son.

My sister has just rung to tell me that my son spoke to my nephew. He asked as clear as a bell,

Whats in here? holding up my nephews bag. My nephew didnt want to upset us (my son has never spoken apart from a few words at 2 or 3) but my sister thought we should know.

I am totally gob smacked. My nephew has spent every Saturday with us since January as a buddy for my son. My son is happy to have him around but has never engaged in an activities with him. Saturday was the first time we had left them together.

Lorainexx

:D wow that is great! I bet you couldn't believe it! it is nice that your nephew can be there for your son!

Thanks everyone.

I wish I hadnt told my husband though. He was so upset he actually cried. He is distraught that our son hasnt spoken to us. I just couldnt find the words to comfort him. I am elated and he is despairing.

I suppose it just shows how we never really come to terms with how are children are.

Loraine

Hi,

>:D<<'>

Don't feel bad for telling your husband, what would he have thought if you hadn't told him and he'd found out later?

I'm so pleased that your son spoke to your nephew, maybe they could be left together again and see what happens.

Loulou x

:D:D:D:D:D:D

That is absolutley amazeing.Brilliant stuff.

Edited by Paula

Wonderful news Lorraine. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> :D

Re hubby - Think 'magic and loss' at this point you are seeing one side of the coin and hubby is seeing the other. You'll probably 'swap' perspectives at some point, then hopefully come to share the experience on equal terms...

Very, very best

BD :D>:D<<'>

i dont often get choked but that got me :crying: a lovely story also what a lovely supportive nephew >:D<<'>

Lorraine - only just read this.

I can't imagine how overwhelmed you must have been at this - it's the kind of things that make you cry and smile in one breath - just absolutely wonderful - can't think of any other word to describe it.

Hope things take off from here now for all of you.

Take care,

Jb

I can understand why your dh must have been upset. But your ds will always have been listening to him and taking things in. You don't need words to show you love someone.

Fantastic news, you must be so pleased.

Hubby will come round, I'm sure, when he gets his head around it.

Karen

x

Great news, I have friends with children who were told their children would never speak, and as teenagers through persistance and encouragement they got them to, it was amazing just to hear my friends son say YEAH! at the age of 14. Just shows never give up hope, most have it in them somewhere, just takes some coaxing out.

Sorry I missed this one. How brilliant it must be all inside just waiting to come out. I hope your nephew realises how privileged he is.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Oracle