hev

my positive thread

Took youngest DD for her first transition visit to the special school she'll be going to in September. Had knots in my stomach driving there and got very little sleep last night.

But I needn't have worried, because it went really well :thumbs:

Mind you, she did try her best to avoid any form of contact with any of the teaching staff or children, and when it was suggested she could come to meet some other children, she said she was frightened and worried.

Struggled to get her out of the playground, and she was charging around, in the freezing cold, refusing to wear a coat, while me and the Head of Primary stood and shivered.....I think DD was quite taken with an emtpy playground all to herself :lol: The play equipment is superb, and the school has light sensory rooms, hydro pool, soft play area, sensory gardens.....it's fab :thumbs:

She had another good check of the toilets, which put her mind at rest.....she likes to inspect toilets for smells and hand dryers.

A member of staff will be visiting her at her current school placement next, and then she will continue to visit for longer periods. We were also offered a home visit by her new teacher, when it's decided which class she will be most appropriately placed in.

Feeling so much better :D

DH has left for stag do......he should be home tomorrow lunch time :lol:

Sooooo, I've got the house to myself, the remote to myself, the bed to myself.......................bliss *lets out big happy sigh*

I know what you mean...I have,nt recovered from Boy George either :tearful: ............as a very naive 15 yrold I trekked to London hoping to bump into him :rolleyes: ....did,nt realise the place was quite so big :angry:

................but I hot footed it to Carnaby street as I,d read somewhere he had a market stall/ shop there, I found it and posed as his cousin from Ireland(his family are irish)....and asked the assistant who worked there for his phone number............he did,nt believe me though :wallbash: ..........ah it could have all been so different if only he,d met me :lol:

As soon as I saw the trailer for the DVD I thought of you Baggy :thumbs:

How could we have NOT known about George Michael? :rolleyes: Innocent times.

Rock Hudson .....

As soon as I saw the trailer for the DVD I thought of you Baggy :thumbs:

How could we have NOT known about George Michael? :rolleyes: Innocent times.

Rock Hudson .....

Oh come on! Just look at the videos from songs such as Club Tropicana! Flamer!! I could see that flame from outer space. :lol:

DH has left for stag do......he should be home tomorrow lunch time :lol:

Sooooo, I've got the house to myself, the remote to myself, the bed to myself.......................bliss *lets out big happy sigh*

He texted me about an hour ago saying "I want to go to bed" :lol::lol:

Bless him, what a lightweight :wub:

I couldn't believe it when I heard about Liberace! :o

Never saw that one coming...

As for Rock Hudson - cummon - why all those films with Doris Day?

:D

2 hours this morning in A & E with youngest DD.

She ran into the sofa last night, and this morning part of her foot was purple, including her middle toe, and she couldn't walk on it properly.

But thankfully x ray all clear, just badly bruised. Bless them, they even got someone to double check the xray because they thought it was probably broken...they were all so lovely with her.

She was a star :thumbs:

Now, my dilemma for today is...............do I buy Sweeney Todd on dvd, or wait for a few days, maybe up to a week or longer, to get it via our online rental package.......hmmmm........ :unsure:

Help please...!

I am getting a new guitar because I miss my piano that I sold as it took up too much room to make way for our fish aquarium.. Its so hard to decide which guitar is best - any tips, any experts here. I hate restringing them, rather buy another as the one I have 3 people had trouble so I gave up. So it must be easy to restring.

Thats great for you but you've spoiled my positive thread...... I've just gone up a dress size !!!

However, apparently I've had several enquiries from people to buy some of my mosaics.... they're not for sale, but it's nice to know that they're appreciated :D :D :D

The new jobs going really well AND I've lost 4 stone and 1lb now!!!! :D

oh loobywooby :dance::dance::dance: well done :thumbs:

My dad has just had an emergency heart bypass operation, and he made it off the table.

Still unconscious and in ICU, but it's a start!

Thanks people, we knew that something was on the cards but we all thought it would be in the late summer.

B has been fantastic, going back to an empty house again after school.

His Gran came home to a little note and all the washing up done and put away. :wub:

She said it was like having a house fairy, albeit one that can eat an entire melon in one sitting! :shame:

She had left him a note saying 'help yourself to a snack...'

Edited by Bard

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> Bard >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

In all the chaos that is supposedly me being stressed, I finally made it to joining a uni club. I've only been here 3 1/2 years - not bad going, huh? :huh: Give me a year and I might even know someone's name :lol: I went bouldering and I'm typing now because I doubt I will be able to move any of my limbs in the morning - I hurt lots :( but it was fun and I even talked to some people :) and it's the sort of activity that gives very structured talk which is good for me.

>:D<<'> Bard >:D<<'>

:thumbs: Mumble :thumbs: Well done you. They do bouldering at JP's new club :thumbs:

My positive: I started ten days leave today! :thumbs: Trying to get sorted before the bedroom fitters arrive at end of next week.

My bum hurts where I fell on it from 4 1/2 meters up last night. I know you're supposed to land on your feet but gravity took over and brought the largest part of me down first :lol: It's a positive because it hurts everytime I sit down and reminds me of my achievement in going out last night :thumbs: :thumbs:

I also have another positive - had a really nice meeting with my hall manager peeps this morning and they're going to help me with all the other issues I'm having and even said if I wanted them to come to the psych with me next week they would :thumbs: (on the condition we go for coffee and shopping afterwards - hmm, yes, I think I can cope with that!! :lol: :lol:)

:thumbs: You're doing really well Mumble, it sounds as though things are great at the moment! :thumbs:

Yes, well I'm trying to focus on the positives. :) I know next week is going to be really difficult, but it could have a very positive outcome if I get through it and could help many other ASD students in the future.

I'm going to make sure I put up a positive everyday from now till next week to remember that that is my focus. :)

Good idea to post a positive Mumble :thumbs:

I've got what counts as my first for a while....spoke to J's school today about the tests they have coming up in mid june and asked them to confirm that this time around he will have 'support' per revised IEP.

And yes he will!! - someone will be sitting in class with him to assist with keeping focus, providing clarity, and scribing if needed! :thumbs:

Fingers crossed we see a difference in the marks! :)

YAY!!! :thumbs: :thumbs:

After moving in last July and endless promises to plumb in the dishwasher, DH is now, as I type this, plumbing it in.

I'm so chuffed as I hate washing and drying up. The sudden reason he is doing this is because we are getting a new fridge freezer tom and need somewhere for it to go. So it's all change in the R-P kitchen!! WOOP WOOP!!

I bought myself an MP3 player!

And there's probably not a single track that Baddad would approve of, or my husband, but I don't care. :P

I've got a mixture of rock chick and hippy available to my ears only, with no one heckling because I've got the volume up too loud for their criticisms of my taste to penetrate.

And I worked out how to load the tracks on myself, an insignificant achievement for some, to me, enormous.

:notworthy: can I nick your playlist? :D

I never got into Walkmans, never mind MP3s. I dont like the music going directly into my ears, makes me feel weird. And I'm scared I'll miss the phone or the doorbell like Mr p does ALL THE TIME. And I'm scared we'd never communicate AT ALL if we are both plugged in!

So I'll stick to having it on LOUD in the house & annoying the neighbours, well they annoy me enough! :lol:

I've got a mixture of rock chick and hippy available to my ears only,

Hippy rock chicks? You might like this (but don't listen to the lyrics - they are very 'Hippy Drippy')... One of my fave car CD's at the mo:

And here's another one... not sure it fits for 'Hippy' and not rock 'chick' but a great band :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIYFFjaYV1o

Coincidence or wot - I bought an MP3 player last year for the Greenwich meet and only got round to loading music on it for the first time on Friday...

It has primal scream (obviously)... some gorrilaz (cos they were on my puter already) the pretenders, the Breeders and the dandy warhols...

OH JOY! :D

:D

The last 4 days have been really good though been away so not been able to post on here. I've been across to the Lake District with a group of children and adults from the church I used to go to when I was younger. We left on the Friday night and predictably the kids were as high as kites and it was well after midnight by the time we got some of them settled and ready to sleep. Saturday was the first day of activities. My group went kayaking in the morning and sailing in the afternoon. Whilst on Sunday we did a (very) short walk (including some scrambling :)) and Rock Climbing on an indoor wall. Yesterday we were just based at the hostel and played various games before coming back. Had really good weather for the whole time.

Kayaking on the Saturday was fun though I wasn't paddling properly. We didn't have any curved blades for left handers so I had to use a flat bladed paddle. For some reason I just couldn't get myself paddling properly with it hence my arms ended up aching by the time we'd finished. That said we had a good time out on Derwentwater. First we just paddled across to an area of the lake that was more sheltered, then did a bit of follow the leader, followed by some tag (we had a bit of fabric looped through the handle at the rear of the kayak that the others had to grab), we then formed up into a raft for some games running around on the kayaks and lastly made chariots (one person sits on their paddle in the gap between two kayaks holding them together and the other stands up infront of them with a foot in each boat and paddles while standing up - we managed to have 5 lots up and working at once and only had 1 person fall in). The boat I had to use was really nice (used to belong to the person who instructed us - he's also the instructor for the sessions I go to on Thursdays) and has convinced me I would be okay with a smaller boat it just needs high sides. I managed to stay dry for the entire session and not get anywhere near falling in at all. Typical really as I had a new drysuit on that I wanted to test out I stayed perfectly dry. Did have some of the kids worried though as apparently I kept going a very impressive shade of purple. It's a bit tight at the moment but have been told not to cut the seals down until I have worn it for a while and it's had time to stretch.

Next up was the sailing in the afternoon. I'm not sure it wasn't the first time I've been out in a sailing boat. We had small 4-5 people boats. I went out with the lads from my group, (in total we had 8 children in the group. 3 boys and 5 girls and 2 leaders, the other leader was female) and one of the people running the activity. Out of the 3 lads who would pick an activity that had been their favourite they went for sailing and I think I'd agree with them. We had lovely weather for it and hence managed to travel at some great speed. Hanging over the edge of the boat to try and counter the force of the wind and keep the boat level was exhilerating. We also put into one of the islands for a short stop and I used that opportunity to test my dry suit. The only problem with it was I was perhaps too boyant. I don't think I'd ever get very far swimming in it. I also need a long sleeved variant of my Paramo top to go under it. As it was my arms felt a bit cold when swimming. It was a warm day so I didn't put on the under fleece that came with the drysuit. After that we went out for some more time sailing. We picked up some water at one point as it went a bit far over but stayed upright. Also a couple of the lads started looking a bit cold but by rearranging positioning in the boat we managed to make them feel more comfortable. I ended up at the front catching most of the spray and not caring a bit. :) We had a little fun getting it back into the marina as we over shot and then the wind died down (I think mainly it was because we ended up in a sheltered spot) and in the end decided the easiest thing to do was for me to jump over and give us a little push to get us going again. I got rather used to jumping in and out of the boat. It really was good fun. :D

On that night (and actually also each morning) we had a short period of worship. For Saturday night we all (as our groups) had to come up with things we were good at. Which meant me, 2 of the boys and one of the girls ended up doing some very quick sketches as we'd said we were good at drawing. They managed to recognised who we'd drawn at least. The others played some instruments and the other lad allowed the girls to apply make up on him. Which they then enjoyed winding him up about for the rest of the time across there! :rolleyes: The other things we tended to do in the evening (or at least me, a few of the younger leaders and the majority of the kids) was to go and play some games on the lawn. Football was a typical favourite and so was the frisbee that one of the younger leaders brought along.

Sunday morning saw us out for a walk. We walked from Barrow House Youth Hostel (where we were staying and as always I can't recommend it enough - still love that place after all these years) along to Cat Gill. Once we got there we then scrambled up the Gill for quite a while until we reached a section that would have needed a rope. Unfortunatally the mountain leader didn't think we had enough time to set it up and continue scrambling up the gill so we had to go up on the path beside it. :( Still we'd all enjoyed the scramble to that point and also managed to get a 5 year old up it (we'd been joined by a few other adults from our party and one of their children - that adult and child plus his brother actually joined us for kayaking the day before). We then continued up to Lady's Rake and then turned to head for Ashness Bridge (which is just above the hostel and where we had lunch). Again the group were brilliant and it was a real pleasure to be out and about with them. :D

That afternoon we then went climbing (on the indoor wall in Keswick - next year there is a chance they could be back outside as one of the leaders will have his single pitch award). We started off with a crash course in how to belay before the kids did some basic climbs and belayed for each other. One of the kids belayed and we had another also holding onto the rope for safety (plus early on an adult was always very close by). The kids then either climbed or went on the boldering wall (a wall which you don't need to be harnessed to but can't go above 3m on. They also had fun seeing how long they could hold onto a very steep section of overhang boldering wall (with a substantial crash mat under it). The lads also got me to have a go. I manage 20 secs though some of them later beat me. We also played some games on the boldering wall. Seeing how far along it we could traverse and also Simon says. For Simon says, Simon the leader for that activity told us which limbs we were allowed to use whilst holding onto the wall. After a couple had came off he allowed us to stand down and return to the seats in the middle of the room before calling out the next set of limbs we were allowed to use. I made the 2nd round once but then decided to sit out the rest of it (and didn't go back on the wall at all) as my back started to hurt when he allowed us to use 2 hands and one foot. I decided I didn't want to over do it and not be much use for the rest of the camp. The kids enjoyed themselves though. I still personally prefered what we did when I used to go as a child which was climb on an outside proper rock face.

Prior to tea that night we had a very short game of football which lasted for about 5-10 mins. During which time I managed to slide over on the grass (or one of the mole hills) and cut my leg. So had to go off and find some medi wipes. Luckily it wasn't particularly deep though it did look impressive as it's about 3in. long and I had blood running down my leg. It scabbed over fairly quickly and apart from a little discomfort at times didn't stop me doing anything. My leg does look a bit of a sight at the moment though as it also got scatched in other places over about a foot and a half area. Oops. At least it wasn't one of the kids. I wasn't the only one who had commented on the grass been rather slippy however as one of the other younger leaders had slipped numerous times the night before. Still you can't let such things stop you. After tea our group met up as we had to prepare a prayer to start that nights session. That session was rather interesting as one of the lads (bear in mind my group was Key Stage 3 students and mainly ones from Year 8 (12-13 Year Olds) decided to play with the young childrens toys whilst we were waiting. Some how me and the other 2 lads ended up joining in and moving onto the phonetic alphabet, which a couple of the girls helped us with when they arrived and soon the whole thing just decended into fits of giggles which none of us (me included) seemed able to stop. The other group leader tried when she arrived but in the end had to ask her dad (who was in the same room and a head teacher for help). Still at least they were all enjoying themselves which as far as I'm concerned is what such trips are about. There were comments later on that perhaps our group got on a bit too well together. I have a feeling I was probably included in that. I'm just used to having to work in that way at the special school. Oh well, it was fun. Though I did hear the only complaint of the camp that night from one of my lads. A complaint I agreed with. The camp wasn't long enough. As we knew we only had a day left. They also talked me into seeing if it is possible to arrange a walking camp (D. of E. style). Problem is that means I need to find some one with Mountain Leadership who'd be up to do it. Ideally for free to keep it affordable. (That's the main reason the camp works so well in the first place.)

On the last day as I mention at the start we were just at the hostel. The highlight of the day was probably the 'Smugglers versus Coastguards' game we played. In which there was a set of cards and the Smugglers had to try and get past the Coastguards with out been tagged. If they were tagged the spoils went in the Coastguards bin and if they got through it went in their bin. The winning team was the one with the most after each team had played as Coastguards and Smugglers. We also had a good scavenger hunt and later (which wasn't so good because the teams could have done with been more balanced) a game of rounders.

Overall it was a really good camp and I really want to go next year. In fact I plan on contacting the leader of the other camps (as they do more than one a year) to check if they have enough leaders. I was rather tired when I got back but it was one of the most fun things I'd done in a long time. I do need to get more involved with it and perhaps organise some activities myself once I have qualifications. I know some of the other young leaders would also be happy to help as I briefly discussed it with them. Would really like to find a mountain leader who could do walking with the lads who wanted to too. They were so good for me (I actually ended up spending a lot of time round the hostel with them too as they wanted me to join in) and so eager to take part I'd do anything I could for them. That's all you really want in the end I suppose. :D Only slight disappointment is I didn't do anything I can add to my Mountain Leader log book. Still should have time for that later in the week. Might also have to see if they need any help at the Churches Youth Groups. I do love working with youngsters. One of the lads from my group gave me a big grin each time he saw me. It is suprising how satesfying something as simple as that can be. :thumbs: (Well rambled on enough for now. Do you think I enjoyed it? :rolleyes: Now I'm sounding like one of the kids from school. :rolleyes: )

EDIT: My bro will be telling me I'm doing crit damage with a wall of text again if he sees this post. Oops! :(

Edited by David Matthew Baker