643 members have voted

1. 1. Where are you based?

• England
    • Scotland
    • Wales
    • Europe (non UK)
    • Other

Welcome Nemo!

So much of what you say has a familiar ring to it! You'll find you're amongst friends who understand here.

Simon

Hello. My name is Kathryn, and I'm mum to Jonathan (7), who has asperger's syndrome as well as two girls, Kristen (5) and Felicity (21m). We live in Scotland and I work part time from home. Jonathan is doing well, getting good support at school, but sometimes I feel as if I'm the one that could do with the support! Hoping to find inspiration here as well as maybe being some use to someone else.

Kath

Hi all, i'm the mum of a six year old son currently on the waiting list for dx of AS, though we're all convinced (including paed.) thats what it is. Thought it would be good to have somewhere to relate experiences and frustrations! It sometimes feels like living with a sixty year old than a six year old! :hypno:

Hi Kezzjo, lovely to meet you.

I'm Amanda and I have two boys, one with Autism and PDA and one with Aspergers

Welcome to the group

Ax >:D<<'>

Edited by Minxygal

Hi

I'm Sandra, married with 3 children 15, 10 and 3. 10 yr old has ASD. He is in mainstream school, year 5 with a statement. He has had the statement since he was 5 yrs old but only dx when he was nearly 9 yrs old. Having to think about high schools now !!!!!

Been looking at the posts for awhile, and found out so much info and advice. Thank you.

Sandra

Hello All!

I dropped by this site and thought I'd say hello.

I am a single mother of 2 girls, the eldest I know has a problem, she's very agressive and the youngest sibling is her punchbag.

Ever since my eldest aged 10 started mainstream school, there has always been trouble. Nothing ever got done about it and had been waiting 3 years to seek counselling with her. This has just now started and we've had 3 sessions, which they basically said 'it was my bad parenting skills and inability to cope with stressful situations' etc etc. I had a rather surprise phone call today from the Children and Family Counselling Unit, where we attend,from a child psychiatrist. This ever so kind lady said about a short notice appointment for my eldest next Monday morning, to evaluate the possibility of ADHD or ASD. I was gobsmacked and came home and got straight on the net, cos I'd never heard of ASD before.

I know I'm jumping the gun a little here, as she hasn't had a full diagnosis, I don't know what to expect next Monday.

Can anyone differentiate between the two? Is there any classic signs? Or can there be a mixture of ADHD and ASD intermingled with each other?

One minute she is so calm and placid and the next, she's shouting and yelling. Even first thing in the morning, she yells and shouts before she's even got out of bed!. She's been threatened with exclusion at school because she's been caught stealing numerous times and the teachers all say they feel sorry for her, as she hasn't got many friends. The ones she rarely does have, they don't seem to last long and in all of her 10 yrs, she's never had a sleep over because there's never been anyone to invite. I do know that she's not been invited to birthday parties in well over 4 years now. I feel so sorry for her as well, it breaks my heart but some days I feel I just can't cope with all the shouting and yelling and fighting. Getting her to even just listen to what myself and her sister have to say, just seems like an ever uphill battle.

I'm sorry if I've posted in the wrong place here but hello anyways!

Hi Caz, welcome to the forum :)

I would advise you to read some of the forum information and postings, there is a wealth of understanding and experience on here. I have given you a couple of links which may help explain things. Please ask if you have any questions, it's a lot of information to take on board.

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and autism

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=108&a=3106

All About Autistic Spectrum Disorders

For parents of recently diagnosed child.

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=294

Good luck

Nellie >:D<<'>

Hi,

My name is Linda. I am the Mun to two little horrors. Jessica is almost 9 and Luke is 5.

Luke was very differant from his sister from an early age, and as he got older we went through the inevitable thoughts of what have we done so wrong with this one, after getting it right with the first ! The older he got, the more convinced I became that there was something wrong with him. Last summer, after talking to his teacher (he was only in pre-reception for the afternoons at the time) we took him to the GP, fairly sure that he had all the symptoms of ADHD. Fortunately we have a really good GP, who was prepared to admit that he did not know enough about the condition to make a judgement, and immediatley refered us. Managed a private referal (coutrtesy of my medical insurance) and had a positive DX of ADHD only 3 weeks after our initial GP visit.

Luke was put on to equasym, which we say made a big differance to him. However, the longer he has been on it, the more he has displayed other symptoms, which I believe are more characteristic of an ASD. We are in the process of transfering from the private psychiatrist to the local CAMHs team (medical insurance will not pay up any more). Luke has been observed in school by a CAMHs phsycologist, and she is coming tomorrow to observe him at home. She is also going to come with us to an appointment with the peadeatrition next week. Both she and his class teacher have commented that he is now showing signs of ASD, possibly aspergers.

I have done so much research about the ADHD that I know a lot about that, but I am struggling a little to find information about the ASD side, particularly when it comes to possible overlapping of the two conditions. But it looks like we may be pushing for a further dx at his appointment next week. I am particularly interested in information about which symptoms are common for both conditions, and which are more on the ASD side.

Our situation is further complicated by the fact that my DP has had a debilitating illness for the past 2 years, and has very limited mobility. I also work full time, he used to be the SAHD. So things can get a bit hectic !

Well, that's a bit about me :D Sorry it has turned out so long. I expect you will be seeing much more from me in the future.

Linda

Hi Linda, welcome to the forum :)

Many thanks for your interesting posting. Lots of help and understanding on here from people who are in a similar situation.

A couple of links that may prove helpful.

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and autism

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=108&a=3106

All About Autistic Spectrum Disorders

For parents of recently diagnosed child.

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=294

Regards

Nellie xx

Hi Caz, welcome to the site

I've only been a member for a couple of days myself, I'd have loved it years ago, before I became insane!!

I have 4 children and my second eldest, Sam (11) is AS & ADHD. I noticed differences with since he was about 18 mos old, but only started approaching 'professionals' for help when he too was about 3. I didn't get dx of ADHD until was 9 and just recently AS, through my perserverence. I always knew there was something more than just 'teaching him to behave' he was so out of step with his peers. I once had a birthday party for him and no-one wanted to come - so I can relate to that one!

He also uses his siblings a puchbags, and it is the one thing I really struggle with controlling (its very upsetting isn't it?I always feel like I'm letting the others down by not being able to control it).

The others on this site have made me feel better already and I'm sure they will you.

Take care

Kazzdt

Welcome also Linda

My son Sam (11) has ADHD & AS. My other 3 are just your common or garden little monsters! I know, like me you'll find this forum is a great place to be!!

Kazzdt x

Hi kazzdt and nellie

Thanks for the very interesting links nellie, it's certainly made me think about it!

Reading through the information...my eldest is showing the signs of ADHD and it's what I've thought, for a number of years now. I just need to get a proper diagnosis.

kazzdt, yes I can really relate to the feeling of not being able to control her. I often thought it was me and my supposedly 'bad parental management' etc etc and divorce and domestic violence too, but we have been free of those situations for years now and I had hoped for improvement but there hasn't been any. Some days she can be the best and most thoughtful kid in the world, and yet, other days, I feel like hiding away and tearing my hair out! With her giving out such mixed messages about her personality, I now realise why she doesn't have very many friends. Most kids think she's weird, too boisterous and also labelled as a thief too.

My youngest daughter has been through the mill with her sister too. Being hit and kicked and punched, stabbed with a pair of compasses, stabbed with a pencil, sat on and nearly suffocated. She gets scared too.

I've never been hit by her but she does say some horrible things to me, but when I try and explain how hurt I feel, it seems that she just doesn't listen. It seems like she has no regard for anybody else's feelings or emotions, she does the same things over and over again and she's so impulsive.

I can't believe that it's been 7 years before something has been done about it but...roll on Monday! I just hope they see through everything and she gets the help that she's been crying out for.

Thankyou all for your warm and kind welcome, it's so nice to feel that I'm not alone and that my child isn't just 'naughty'.

I will post again on Monday, when I know the exact score with what's going on and hopefully have some more news.

Hi, this is all new to me, i've never chatted online b4, first time for everythin!!

I stumbled across this site while doing research for a degree i am doin, and after lookin at Aspergers think that my son may suffer from it. I suppose i'm lookin for advice as i don't know what to do next, he's 10 and i suppose we have always felt he was different but its so hard to determine what is just a childs funny little quirk and something which is a little more. Could anyone help me as to what i should be doin, school have not noticed anything other than he does not mix readily socially, as he is academically bright, they have not approached me about any worries and because i don't know whether to mention it to them so that they don't 'label' him i don't know if i'm doin him more harm than good not bringin it to their attention. Is this somethin i need to consult doctors about? Would really appreciate any advice...Flo

Hi, I'm Zemanski, Littlenemo's partner.

Finally decided it's time to join in.

We have a 12 year old boy with AS and dyspraxia and an 8 y.o. girl with severe dyslexia and elements of dyspraxia. They are both great kids and if it wasn't for school life with them would probably be fine. :wub:

We're a very arty family and completely disorganised. Lots of 'characters' in both families (they can't possibly all be AS can they?) :blink:

We've decided that life is a hundred times better with both of us at home so nemo works in his little office and I get carer's allowance - money is tight but we have so much more time to concentrate on getting on with our lives. We need the time 'cos now we can't afford a car so we have to walk a lot further! :huh:

The good thing about having to walk is that it's the only form of exercise Com will do, Dot would do more but has a bad back at the moment

:tearful:

My special interests are: AS and dyslexia (surprise, surprise) gardening when it's warm, Dot's fish tank (someone has to take an interest) and fighting the LEA (tribunal's every 2 years so far and number 3 looks like it's on the way

:wallbash: )

Good to have found a forum on AS where people still have a sense of humour :D

Zemanski

Hi, I am parent of three children, 2 boys aged 10 and 4 1/2 and one girl aged 9. Little one has undergone numerous assessments but at yet has no official diagnosis except for speech and language delay behavioural problems and poor social interaction. He has recently been diagnosed with epilepsy, but they are not sure about that either :wallbash: . We have had one consultant mention ADHD and mild ASD but the present one just thinks he will catch up?? I have been convinced he is on the autistic spectrum from very early on, but what do I know :( . He is about to start school in September and still attacks both verbally and physically his teachers at nursery. They won't statement him ( no diagnosis) and despite needing extra help at nursery feel he will be alright at school. He is a wonderful little boy, who doesn't sleep, is totally obsessed with Emergency Services and won't use toilets with an extractor fan in them!!! Oh and he doesn't like me kissing him because I spit on him ( his description honest)

Hi resabech, welcome to the forum :)

This is a wonderful forum for support and information, I hope you find it helpful.

Did you know you can make a request for a statement yourself? I would advise you to contact one of the following education help lines.

Independent Panel for Special Educational Needs.

http://www.ipsea.org.uk/

National Autistic Society Education Advocacy.

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=143&a=3435

Nellie xx

Hi All

I joined you all last year but have been on maternity leave with our second beautiful son and am now back at work! Thought I would start back here as it has been so long since I joined in and there are probably loads more of you now!

Julian is now 3 1/2 and is making progress with his speech. He is using lots of words and his new one for this week is "lots" i.e. lots cars/lots planes etc.

Still not potty trained although he has a book about potty training and he looks and says "yut" (yuck to you and me) when he sees the little boy having a poo! screams when suggest that he wants to use the toilet or potty!

It would appear that he has a bowel problem as well now but the hospital just say that it is IBS but going in again next week to kick some a**e.

Hubby is running London Marathon on Sunday for the NAS and he has raised about �700 which is pretty cool. Keep an eye out for him - tall bloke, with glasses wearing a thomas tank t-shirt!

The new baby, Jamie, is now 22 weeks old and a happy smiley chap :D. Certainly keeping us on our toes as he has not quite discovered the power of sleeping all night and I am sitting here with my eyelids propped up with match sticks!

Good to be back, think I will drop in to the bat cave to have a nose to see what has been going on since my last visit.

Caroline

x

Lovely to have you back Caroline and congratulations on your addition to the family.

I'm afraid the Batcave appears to be in hibernation, maybe you could waken them up!

Nellie xx

Hi I thought I'd say hello - I'm Janice mum to George who's 5 and was just diagnosed with AS / High Functioning Autism in November and it's taken a bit of getting used to even though I thought of George as soon as I heard of Aspergers. Also have a 19mth old Leon who I can't help watching and worrying about.

George is in mainstream school and varies between being a gorgous sensitive boy where you wouldn't think there was anything wrong and a challenge!

Hello!

My name is Marie I am a stay at home mum of 3 beautiful daughters aged 5,4, & 22mths. Our middle daughter was dx with Aspergers in January of this year. She is extremely intelligent sometimes it is scary, she taught herself to read by age of 21/2 yrs by using a computer program. She is a computer wiz and can do more that most adults we know, she is currently teaching herself spanish. So as you can guess sometimes we have a hard time keeping up with her speed of learnig. She loves to cuddle and she classes her big sister as her best friend. Her biggest current obsession is Dora the Explorer, she knows all the songs after hearing them once.

I came through to this via Asperger East Anglia who are brilliant and offer a wide range of support. It helps to know that you are not alone and there are some wounderful people out there offering advice and support.

Regards

Marie

Edited by Marie22

Hi Marie 22 (and all other Newbie Newbies!) -

'puters, 'eh? A blessing and a curse, aint they? :D

Welcome to the forum, hope to be posting with you all at some point...

L&P

BD :D

hi there,

i'm natalie and i have two sons: jamie who is four and has asd and learning delay, and alex who is nearly six and has as. alex was home-edded for 18 months before recently starting school. i am fully prepared for him to be at home again some time in the future. it suits him well. jamie is starting school in september, if the lea can find him a suitable placement. they have completely mucked up his statement and placement, so we are having a lot of problems at the moment.

alex is a very easy-going chap who is obsessed with dinosaurs and monsters at the moment. jamie is completely opposite and his current fad is thunderbirds.

nice to 'meet' you all!

Hi Natalie!

Welcome to the forum :)

I have 4 children, the eldest (coming up 16) has AS, ADHD and Dyspraxia and goes to a wonderful residential school for AS, girls 10 and 7, and Littlest One nearly 4. He's in the middle of various assessments, so no dx yet...but we are seriously looking into home ed. for him...so I'm really interested to hear about your son!

Did Alex ever go to school, or did you home ed. from the beginning?

Hope you like it here!

Bid :wacko:

Edited by bid

Hi to anyone new and welcome to the forum.

A special hello to alli, glad you found the forum ok.

Everyone here is great.

I can assure you, you will find it a great help.

Theresa

Edited by asereht

Hi Alli

Welcome! I haven't used the Mind Reading CDROM although I see Tony Attwood recommends it on his site. Have you contacted the Autism Society in Dublin - I know they lend out books & videos - they may have a copy. www.autism.ie

Otherwise, your local Autism Team may have a copy

Take care

A

B) I am staggered at how many people continue to find the forum,....and take the time to post. Thank you.

Welcome to every one of you. :)

You will need to forgive me for my lack of postings sometimes,...like most of you, I go through periods where my multi tasking has to be toned down a little! Only so many hours in the day! ;)

Best wishes,

Elefan

xx

Hello

felt it was about time I intrduced myself so that I could let you know I feel far less alone since I discovered this forum - thank you.

I have 2 sons, a 16 yr old with ADHD and oppositional disorder (in english that means he is violent and abusive towards me) and a 14 yr old with aspergers who is depressed, a school refuser and who's role model is an abusive elder brother....sound familar to anyone???

Both boys have in the past recieved help but now refuse any outside intervention...they won't even go to the GP. I am in touch with agencies such as child & family therapy, Police and connexions but as both boys refuse all help I do feel very trapped and isolated.

Reading everyones contributions has helped as I realise, despite the fact I feel like I am not the only one who's children and family life have not turned out quite as they imagined it would.

Frances-mary

Hi

Welcome! Glad you found us. :D

I know how you are feeling. My son is 15 AS/ADHD/Dyspraxia/Dyslexia.

Very verbally abusive. There isn't anything that i haven't been called. He goes to a specialist AS school on Weds, i just hope that they can help him.

He won't accept his diagnosis or any outside help now. Although we didn't really get any help from them anyway. :wallbash::wallbash:

Some times though, i do wish i had someone really near me who was in a similar posistion.

hi everyone I've just stumbled on this forum and just had to post - I'm Jacqui - Mum to ds 8 (ASD) and dd 5 (fairy princess), wifey to Richie :D - I have been reading the postings on here with great interest -I wish I had found u 2 years ago when I first heard the words Asperger Syndrome :notworthy: My son has been to 3 schools (last one OK but still not providing for his special needs) and to 2 peadiatricians who are now at last going to give him THE TEST for ASD after both ed psychologists (yes I have 2 don't ask me why) have told them over and over that he has AS. It has taken us 5 years to get to this stage and boy have they been frustrating - having been told I'm a bad parent, over reacting, he's just a naughty boy, he's very intelligent so he thinks he can get his own way by screaming (what!!!!) and god knows how many hours in school halls and outside the head mistresses office (this is still used today despite my constant objections) I have decided to leave him in school until he has this test and then home ed from then on. I have discussed this with my dh who is all for it and my dd wants to join in as well. We move to the Isle of Man at the end of May and having had to dereg the children for that purpose I'm just going to forget to register them over there. Does anyone know if I have to let the LEA know that they exist or can I just get on with it and if anyone comes to the door sort it out then?! :whistle:

This forum has opened my eyes to what my ds should have been getting (special units for AS I've never even heard of that never mind has it been offered for him), no assistance in class, no attempt by the teachers to impliment changes to his schooling as outlined in his IEP (does this sound familiar). Well that's enough from me hope this hasn't been too much of an outburst and any feedback from you all would be greatly recieved. BTW I have the book about home educating our Asperger children and it's full of really useful info and HE websites, etc so definitly worth a look.