Sign in to follow this  
Kathryn

So proud - just have to share this

Hi everyone,

If you've been reading my posts you'll know that my daughter started in a fairly low key way at our local FE college three weeks ago and at the time everyone was ecstatic that she was even able to get out the door, having barely left the house for 15 months.

Today she took part in a workshop, with 5 other students from the college, at a Disability Awareness day organised by Connexions and other bodies. Various health and educational professionals were there. The six of them had prepared a powerpoint presentation about transition and disability, and she spoke, without notes to a roomful of people about the importance of recognising disabilities which aren't immediately visible and the fact that people can have more than one disability. Together with the others she then answered questions from the floor.

They were much applauded, and told afterwards they were better than the main speakers! Her Connexions worker was there and cried throughout apparently. :wub: She first met L back in November when she was completely mute and crawling around on all fours - I think she must have been stunned by seeuing her there today.

L said someone took photos of them so they may appear in some publication or other - I'll let you know.

I'm a bit stunned - in March she had no speech. I knew she was making progress but didn't expect her to be lecturing to a roomful of professionals just yet. :lol: She even challenged someone on a point she disagreed with. I asked L if she had been nervous and she said "no why should I be? I liked the building and the Christmas decorations" :) .

I'm just so proud - would have settled for far less - but this is just amazing. If I'd been there I would have bawled my eyes out. :tearful:

K

Wonderful. An inspiration. What we all need to keep us fighting. A massive hug to you and your brilliant daughter. Loved her comment. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

L had made quite a transition herself I would say. Quite a young lady. You have every right to feel so proud of her :thumbs:

Carole

Guest hallyscomet

Hi Kathryn,

Thats beautiful and inspiring brought tears to my eyes, :crying: I would be bawling if I was there too, tears of joy, you must be soo proud of her after all you both have been through, :wub: this is really fantastic, and so good for L's self esteem. :pray: Thinking and praying for you both and many of these to you both as well >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Go 'L' :dance::dance::dance:B)

Regards

Hailey :)

What a transformation. Well done L and well done Kathryn because without your support it would have been so much harder for her.

Lovely, brilliant, Well done to your daughter, and to you for all the support you obviously give her.

Very inspiring to hear good news like this.

Lauren

:shame: This can,t be the same girl surely :o .............a year ago your posts were so desperate and full of worry and concern for L. Now she has started college, is settling in, and if thats not enough, making humungous achievements like this.A really really REALLY BIG :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::groupwave::groupwave::groupwave::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::first::first::first: Your post has made me so :D:tearful: , at the same time.Thanking for sharing, love to you both Suzex.

Thanks all you wonderful people :tearful: .

I can't take any credit for this. The best I've done this year is holding back from doing the wrong thing - most of the time. :wacko:

I meant to post another bit of good news a while ago. L has been completely free of antidepressants for about a month now - without any adverse effects. It was her decision that she didn't need them anymore. (she has been on something since May 2004 - four different kinds and sometimes two at a time.) And as I've often said, she has had precious little therapeutic support during that time, so her achievements really are all down to her. :wub: This gives me hope for her future, and I hope some encouragement to everyone else too.

Edited by Kathryn

I'm so happy to hear your daughter is doing so well and that she was confident enough to speak in front of a group of people.

pim

What else can I say... B)

Ditto everyone.

L is an amazing girl and she should be proud of herself.

And Mom, you must take the credit too....

Take the well deserved pat on the back that everyone wants to give you.

We are all inspired by what you all have achieved.

Sending you >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

and :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Am now in the mood to crawl into the loft space and get the decorations!!!!

There'll be a star on our Christmas tree just for you guys.

Luv Clarkie xox