justamom

Obessions/interests

I know that obessions/interests change all the time but I was wondering what you or your children are particularly interested in at the moment..

K used to like business cards, we had hundreds all over the house now its Charmed (telly programme about witches)...

justamom

A Sonic character called Tails. Before that it was Runescape. We've had all sorts throughout the years, Thomas the Tank Engine, Maps, Sharks, Star Wars, Pokemon cards, J has always been very obsessive about his interests.

Lisa

If it has anything to do with water my ASD son is interested. But mainly fish and other sealife, his favourite at the moment being Cephelapod's, which are things like Cuttlefish, Squids, Octopus and Nautiluses.

NT (lol) son is mainly dogs and anything with lights/wires/switches. Usually 4 year olds draw a xmas tree with loads of decorations, my son did a wiring picture (which was exactly like ours) of where the lights would go, the way they are in a loop etc inc the plug socket.

Edited by lil_me

jake loves sponge bob square pants , dvd's draws pictures of it all the time ,sings the song he thinks it's so funny , have to say starting to wear a bit thin now , even the baby dances to the theme tune and when anyone comes to are house they also have to watch it lainey

Our sons obsessions over the years were buzz lightyear, anything to do with toy story, tweenies, star wars, harry potter, gameboy games, play station games. Games are and always have been a big part of his life and his main obsession. Television programmes vary every 3 months it was Fairly odd parents but in last 2 weeks has changed back to spongebob squarepants and he tends to regress back to Cbeebiees every half term he is now 5.5 years :D

jayne xx

William has always had two types of obsessions, the one that he DOES, and the one that he TALKS ABOUT. The lastest 'doing' one is Runescape; the latest 'talking' one is about the son of a neighbour who he has recently fallen out with; he talks about nothing else :fight:

Luke's latest obsessions are the Clay Man movies he's found on the internet (he knows the scripts off by heart and just recites them over and over, and, IT. IS. DOING. MY. HEAD. IN.) and a set of Roman coins he got at a Roman villa museum on the Isle of Wight.

Aaaah, such is life.

Lauren

Edited by Lauren

My son's is sea-life, tadpoles, oh I tell you the arguments over these little things and not being able to find any. Fishing and again arguments when he can't catch and can see them in the water.

Obsessed with a certain firend and I can't wait till the day he get's out of that one.

Used to be water, memories of a x-mas day in nanny's garden with the sprinkler on, oh the fun

One of my obsessions unfortunately for my DH is the internet. I only check out one parenting site, a news site, this site and occassionally another news site.

I also love detective stories and books of trivia, though primarily detective stories.

My son's obsessions have changed to:-

lifts

escalators

bobinogs from cbeebies

waterfalls

his toy dog

his toy cat - called pigeon!

Velux Windows

Football pitches and stadiums..............

Uk golf channel (much to daddy's delight)

a small red bus that he nicked from nursery

Forbsay

:lol:

My son's obsession that has now gone, was supermarket carrier bags, we had cupboards full. :blink:

He is still obsessed with starwars, which is good really because he plays with the figures and makes up

action scenes, (well, he probably doesn't make them up, he actually copies the scene's from the films)

he loves watching his starwars dvd's and asked me relentlessly to buy him the box set, which I did. :wub:

He is also obsessed with Spongebob, but we have had to curb this as it is getting him stressed out,

he wants to re-enact some of the things Spongebob does, and for those that have watched it, then you'll

know that wouldn't be a good idea.

He also became very screamy when it was on, he realises this now and has stopped watching it this last

few days. (with a marked change).

He also gets a big case of photos out when anyone comes round, they are mainly of him as a baby,

even if they have already seen them, they have to look again. :D

Brook

We have gone through the

Lifts,

bouncy castle,

fans,

drains,

water (anywhere)

Eyes,

james bond.

He now doesnt have a conversation unless its about

"sonic the (blooming) hedgehog" :huh: his favorite charachter is Rouge the bat, He plays the gamecube (sonic) or should that be its always left up to me to get him through the particularly bad bits, (hence late night last night :huh: )

He also still plays with his Bathplug (on a bit of shoelace, he spins it for hours)

He also likes switzerland And Deal or no Deal :D

shaz

J's been back into Robot Wars since Christmas when Santa brought him some RW related stuff. All he'll watch on tv/video is RW, all he wants to play with on the computer is RW (although I've persuaded him onto a couple of other CDs in between), the only toys he's played with have been RW, all he wants to read is RW books and mags (thank God for the timer and his school reading books). On top of that he talks incessantly about RW battles, both real and made up, monologuing all the way to school and back every day. If we go shopping he wants to look for RW toys, despite the fact that you can't get them anywhere but eBay. And speaking of which, if I'm on eBay he wants me to do RW searches all the time.

I could go on. But I won't.

Roll on the next Harry Potter obsession...

Karen

x

As far as i can remember, my ds has been obsessed with lifts......we were on a ferry to France a couple of years ago and took poor mil up and down every single lift he could find.

Although still with that obsession, he is also mad on Harry Potter, but over the years it has been Buzz Lightyear and Spiderman.

I know that obessions/interests change all the time but I was wondering what you or your children are particularly interested in at the moment..

K used to like business cards, we had hundreds all over the house now its Charmed (telly programme about witches)...

justamom

The Boy doesn't really have obsessions (yet) but hubby quite likes Charmed - I suspect it's for different reasons than K tho :lol:

My son had a Robot Wars thing for quite a while, he's starting to loose interest with nowhere selling them any more, only place I know sometimes gets them in is a small toy shop in Durham, but I haven't been in there since Xmas. I did manage to get the Arena in ToyRus they were selling them off for ?6 :blink: If I knew your son was interested I've just flung out 3 remote control Robot Wars toys as didn't play with them any more.

Martin loves anything Lord of the Rings related, fantasy stuff especially Barbarians, used to like Runescape but it got "boring" - any PC game that involves wargames.

Actually he's suddenly got into making model planes and boats because he loves WWII.

If I knew your son was interested I've just flung out 3 remote control Robot Wars toys as didn't play with them any more.

I think we'd best be keeping that to ourselves, eh?

Karen

x

Escalators, automatic doors, the vac and traffic cones. previously we had fish, pencil erasers, fans,fish, more fish.........glad he's out of that one now.

My little'un doesn't really have obsessions about objects. She goes through short phases of things like her sister but doesn't become obsessive.

What she gets obsessed with is danger and and things she can't control. At one time it was the months changing she talked about March turning to April for two weeks and then when it turned into April she complained she hated it for a fortnight and then she moaned about April turning into May and so it went on for months and months :(:( For the time being {about 18 months} it has been smoke and fire and now will run a mile when she sees the pans coming out to go on the hob! I must make a confession here - when dd shouts down from upstairs are the pans still on I've been known to say yes just to have a few more minutes :P

Tilly

Well like the rest of you, it seems to go in phases ... at the moment he is obsessed with his favourite colour -blue ... no one else is allowed to like it, wear it etc except him. In fact he went to school in his new blue coat today and I don't think there was a child in the playground that he didn't tell about it.

Also, he has to do the same things on a daily basis, the latest is "circle time" where he lines up a zillion soft toys in a circle, gives them name badges, runs through the register, gives them sweets and money to look at, tells a couple of them off and puts them on the naughty chair etc etc, it is role play, but I think it is learned role play. I often stand outside the door listening in, and it's really sweet. This is a sacred thing he has to do everyday after school, and no one is allowed in his room. I am allowed to be the Teacher on Saturdays "this is Mummy everyone, and she is visiting us today to talk about caterpillars etc". I totally go along with it mind - the toys are the only things that listen to me in this house :P

Oh and calendar things - he likes to know what months we did things in ... "when was the last time I wore this top, was it December?" etc etc.

My daughter used to have obsessions about any buzzing or humming, i.e. fans/fridges/alarms/radio's or any machine kind of noise, if we went to a shop and they had a fan on because it was warm she'd want to know who would turn it off at night and what if they forgot etc etc.

She was also terrible about grass growing and the kidney bean plants we had in the gardens - how would they stop growing etc etc.

I think these were all about control.

Other obsessions are mainly whatever she is interested in at that time, currently i.e. a specific pc/console game (Sims/Phoenix Wright), reading whole sets of books (Harry Potter/Lemony Snicket etc) or tv shows/films etc (Simpsons/Futurama and cartoon network shows)

When she was little it was more a case of Digimon/Pokemon, Dinosaurs and all sorts of animals, Disney films, Tots Tv and then when we had sky Cartoon network (Fairly odd parents/Spongebob/Ed, Edd and Eddy etc).

Forgot to add about Ds1, but he's so young I don't know if he's too young to have obsessions yet. He does love traffic lights and wants to cross over everytime we pass one on a walk. He also loves counting.

At the moment my son is obsessed with the game Empire Earth and he wants and extension pack that will be released on 10/03. He' frustrated because he can't have it sooner and he doesn't want to do anything until that day.This is really worrying me because he can just sit and do nothing for hours and if I ask him anything or suggest something to do he says something offensive because he's in a very bad mood. :crying:

I hope there's something good on TV this weekend to distract him...

Curra

Stephanie there is a big emphasis on circle time at the moment, and all that you mentioned is on one of the nurturing programmes many schools are using, very sweet to hear he's acting it out at home aswell as my son hates it, as they have to say things like 'I feel ......' 'I like .....' luckily they are allowed to pass.

My son does like his games, DS or PC mainly, he also has got into dinosaurs as we started with a book on Dinosaurs which lived in water :dance: I may not be able to change his interests but I have found it easier to expand on them.