Sign in to follow this  
mum22boys

Left or right handed

Left or right handed  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Is your child (or you) left handed or right?

• Left handed
    • Right handed

Having just read a book on autism they mentioned several reports where they found people that have ASD's are more likely to be left handed. I wondered if this was true as my son is left handed.

Is this coincidence or is there a link?????????

Just thought it would be interesting to see.

india is ambidextrous and hasnt showed a hand preference yet but i would say she uses her left hand more dominantly than the right.

Well I can not answer that because my daughter uses both hands, sorry forgotten what you call that, but I am sure one of you will tell me.

Can you add to the poll both hands or what ever you call it lol

Nikrix

Edited by nikrix

Hi Matthew is lfet handed! we sort of knew this from when he was about 6mths when he started to use cutlery he would always use his left hand and still does, have said that though my dh does and so do my mum and sister! the rest of us are righties. :thumbs:

lefthanded but play ball games with my right! Also use scissors with my right as no lefthanded ones when I was young.

Also think this is right info but I stand to be corrected: More than 50% of the world's greatest achievers are lefthanded but only 10% of the population is lefthanded.

Lefthanded people rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love Kat

out of my 4 children 2 are left handed and 2 are right. I am left handed my husband is right so that make us a straight 50/50. My 2 NT children 1 is left 1 is right and my 2 AS children 1 is left 1 is right. My mum was left handed but was beaten at school and had her hand tied behind her back until she used the correct hand. I think the way my 2 lefties operate and learn is quite different from the right handed ones.

My AS daughter and her dad are both lefties.

My son and I are right handed. I have always had a preference for my left foot though if I have to kick a ball, (not very often these days!). This is called mixed dominance and I think it is linked to asd too.

Edited by Kathryn

Okay - this is complicated! :lol:

I'm right-handed generally, but left-footed generally. :blink: I know - it's weird already, but it gets weirder! :lol:

I'm a right-handed writer, and when playing cricket (which doesn't happen often! :rolleyes:), I'm a right-handed batsman. But I'm a left-arm bowler and a left-arm thrower!! :huh:

Get your head around that!! :lol:

James

EDIT: Okay - from scanning the responses, I see a few others are just as bonkers as me. :lol: Yeah - there has to be a link between this and ASDs, surely. :unsure:

Edited by Gordie

I'm left-handed (for the two of the main criteria, writing and using a spoon ) but other things I can do left or right handed.

If I'm making a sandwich I use my left handed to spread the filling, then swap to my right to cut it up.

I'm quite often confused as to which hand I should use to do things and have to try both before I can tell.

Strangely, I can write on a blackboard right-handed, I wonder if this goes someway to explain how my son has far more motor control when writing on a vertical surface ?

It would be interesting to find out how many of the mum's on here are left-handed given that males out number females in this ( I think 7/10 are male )

I remember reading that left-handedness was linked to increased testosterone (sp ?) levels during pregnancy, I will see if I can find where I read this.

I'm quite interested in this subject and which side of your brain is dominant, if females are more left-brained, are left-handed females more right-brained ?

I hope I'm making sense here :lol: but I can certainly see the possibility of a link with asd.

My son writes with his right hand, but uses his left for other tasks and his left foot also.His mixed up, there is a word for it but can,t remember, cross-lateral or something :huh:

Hello everyone,

myself ambidextrous, son right handed.

Steve..

I think the boy means well but he is distinctly inclined to be inattentive......

Tutor of Winston Churchill to Lord Randolph Churchill,

Winston's father

Ambidextrous but favoured the left went as far writing he could with the left hand then finished off the sentence in the right hand... occupational therapist then in my opinion changed his preferent hand left for the right so now Nick writes with his right but still creates letters as a left handed person would so again in my opinion she has made matters worse despite my mentioning that all the men in my family have been left handed so she ought to help him use his left hand better...

On another note it seems that the majority are ambidextrous... is there a link ???

This is exactly what i am wondering (see my earlier post on this thread)It seems more than co-incidental :rolleyes:

ceecee,

it is very common amongst ADHDers to according to the polls I've seen on ADHD forums.

I think we're at a good advantage being abidextrous :D in sport for instance,being able to swap rackets into other hand whilst single handed people have to relie on the one.

Lack of hand preference or mixed dominance is common in AS. It is also common in people with Specific Learning difficulties such as dyslexia and dyspraxia. It is often listed as a possible warning sign of any of these difficulties along with many others.

Thanks that is something i didnt know.Thats the good thing about his forum you learn something new just when you thought there was nothing new to learn. :thumbs::thumbs:

I'm quite interested in this subject and which side of your brain is dominant, if females are more left-brained, are left-handed females more right-brained ?

You might be interested in this site and the test on it then, Waccoe, and others ... I was 25% into the male side ...

Some researchers say that men can have 'women's brains' and that women can think more like men. Find out more about 'brain sex' differences by taking the Sex ID test, a series of visual challenges and questions used by psychologists in the BBC One television series Secrets of the Sexes:

Com, AS, is right handed but didn't decide till about 4 years old

Dot, NT severely dyslexic, is right handed and decided before she was one

Me, NT, mildly dyslexic, left handed

Nemo, AS, right handed

grandad (on my side), probably ASC, left handed

left handedness has long been associated with dyslexia, most left handers are ambidextrous to a certain extent because we live in a right handed world.

many dyslexic and dyspraxic children have 'laterality confusion' - they use a mix of left and right eg they may kick with the left, focus with the right eye more strongly, listen more accurately with the right ear and use tools in the left hand - this can cause confusion in all sorts of things, particularly writing and reading

Zemanski

C is mainly Left handed - although he used a knife and fork right handed becuase thats how everyone does it - he writes with left and would go to kick a ball with left leg leading

I'd describe myself as left handed, as in I write with my left hand, and it's the hand I'm most comfortable using. But at work I have to use tools in my right hand, which as it's repetitive work is ok. I'm pretty clumsy with either hand, though :unsure:

Hi :)

My son his right handed but seems left footed when he was younger it was not very obvious which hand he prefered. I am right handed with ambidextrous tendency my bother is ambidextrous and one of my auntie was left handed.

Malika.

anyone know how common left-handedness is in the general population?

most classes I've had have had perhaps one, sometimes 2 left-handers - you always notice them pretty quickly - but one class I had, and I have never heard of this before, had 11 out of 28 left-handers, we used to pass the entire set of left-handed scissors etc up to the next teacher with them as no other class needed that many. The other thing about that class was that I've never had another class that needed so much help with handwriting - 2 kids needed writing slopes and special pens and a third always wrote on a wordprocessor and I had 2 alphasmarts for others who needed to use them some of the time, 7 were on a remedial handwriting programme. Interestingly, I would say that only one child was possibly ASC/dyspraxic, and 2 dyslexic (one definitely, one possibly) and one of those was a right-hander

Zemanski