Sign in to follow this  
Cariad

Obsessions anyone?

Toby started with boxes, then Thomas the tank, then to Felt tip pens, to the colour "green" then to Soft toys (he has hundreds and has to arrange them every night :rolleyes: ), then to Mosquitos.

Life is never boring at my house :blink::lol:

My son has to have his shoe laces very tight,his belt very very tight and has to go through the entire football clubs all the time. These are just a few little things :rolleyes:

Thanks arnya

Sometimes i wish it was football clubs, soft toys just don't do much for me :lol: , and T seems to think we are in the Wild west and flys are Mosquitos coming to "Suck his blood" :rolleyes: ..

Right, in order from when he was tiny:-

Labels on soft toys (sucked)

Me (mummy)

Ladybirds

Me

hoovers/lawn mowers

Me

cleaning

Me

playstation/game cube

Me

Cuddly toys (mainly dogs but had to have spots)

Me

Golf

Me

his eldest sister

Me

Cleaning and hoovers are still around and PS/GC are on their way back and I have always been top of his list. I just hope Golf comes back because he had an incredible ability with it.

Viper.

Can't really recall much from when he was a baby in the way of obsessions but his first was his Stewart Little, then Thomas the Tank, then his Aunt (he was Aunt ??? mad!), then onto playstation games (still there) and his new one is Simba from the Lion King. Carries that teddy EVERYWHERE bar school and outdoors although he does try! LOL

erm,

from day one Trains

then later on at about 8 :

Guns, Planes, Tanks anything to do with world war 2...(has to be 2 not 1 or you've had it!!)

Xbox (mainly strategic war games)

he still loves his trains but was terrorised for it at his last EBD school & so wont admit it to anyone which is quite sad!! But his lil, face when he see's a train says it all :)

Hi everyone, our sons obsessions are playstation games, gameboy games, computer games ever since i can remember :wub: , Harry Potter, Buzz Lightyear,Star Wars anything to do with them and constant play fighting with his dad which has got to be at least 3 times a day ( me thinks it is turning into an obsession) :wacko:

jayne xx

:rolleyes: .....well we had the first obsession as soon as he could crawl, so from the age of 6 mnths, these have been his obsessions.....the vac, lawn mower, tractors and diggers.This is where were at now, he has diversified to, blu tac, leaflets, motors/ circuits, quad bikes, and pepper oni pizza :devil:

Computers (have a good collection of them from the c64 and NES onwards)

Coins (started collecting them again,I collect old coins and foreign coins)

Music (collect CDs and vinyl)

Cat related things (ornaments,teddies,pictures,photos etc)

Playstation/computer/gameboy (next one PSP)

golf

golf on the playstation/computer/gameboy (PSP)

Dance mat (summer time)

First non playstation/computer related 'thing' he ever got into was The Wacky Races cartoons, but this was as a direct result of playing Wacky Races on PS1... Real Golf, too, grew out of virtual golf.

Farts/bums/willies etc, but that's sort of expected of boys, isn't it!?

:D

Oh Suze I saw a lot of my son in yours.

First was the hoover, then lawnmower, tractors, diggers, then the bible, then leaflet (this still continues) and at present electrical wires. Oh and he too loves blu tac (what is it about blu tac???) :wacko:

Matthews first obsession was Noo noo (probably spelt wrong) It's the hover from Telly Tubbies. Then was was wheels. I thought that it was cars and trains but it's not it's there wheels and this is still a source of comfort to Matthew. When he is stressed he will spin a wheel on either a train or car and it comforts him. The year we did Sleeping Beauty as a Panto and had a real Spinning Wheel Matthew was in heaven and in :wub:

From wheels we progressed to Lego, Lego and of yes more Lego. Then there were the video films that I can still remember word for word. There was Air Wolf, The Crystal Maze - still a BIG Favourite - and then we made the progression to Computer Games. Now it's Computer Games, Lego and Guniea Pigs the later being the BIGGEST love of his life to date. He melts when either Chocolate or Goldie look at him with their big brown eyes :wub:

With David it has always been keys rings, Lego, office stationary, vidoes (now DVD's and CD's) and Computer Games. I really should of guessed that there was something with David when we were into the habit of watching the film Short Circut 6 times per day. the words 'Hey brother your Moma was a Snow Blower' will live with me forever :lol:

Carole

PS OMG I forgot about the Blue tac!!!!!!!!!!! :o Matthew prefers the white variety :wacko:

Edited by carole

With Alex it has always been things that transform. Tissues, blue tac right through to transformers, pokemon, digimon, power rangers (only the zords so he could join them a thousand + times). Lego lasted as a main obsession for only a few months but it still gets brought down now and then if he's really stressed and needs something new to transform.

Computer games have always been another constant (sonic especially) but the two things have merged just lately with need for speed (I think thats the name) because you customise the cars.

There are alot of playstation and games obsessions. I forgot to say T hates anything fizzy and cold as in ice lollies etc.

I'm pleased to see i'm not the only one here with the weird obsessions. Also the windows have to be closed, we have 3 cats and he thinks they will escape :unsure: ..

Has to be Char's sister ,pop in his beaker, xbox and the videos in the correct order :wacko:.

We have had may weird and wonderful ones including

Taking a large plastic bucket to bed

Eating strange things (still does this now)

Licking objects and people (still does this too!!!)

Sitting on the bus floor

The list is endless :lol:

Lisa x

My son is 8 and his world revolves around:

Inventing anything out of anything

Herbie

Theme Park world on the PC

Blue tac and elastic bands, especially the extra long ones (waits for the postman to drop them in the morning!)

Golf

TaeKwonDo

His guinea pig - Harry

Collecting anything in his pockets, stones, tissues, sticks, shiney things, etc etc

Soft toys - dogs and cats

Lion - a soft toy he was given as a baby that has worn so thin that you can see right through him! He now has a special bed on his bed and is covered up every night and you can't squash him!!! (he'd kill me if he knew I'd told anyone :devil: )

Touching everything..... AAARRRHHHHH!

Tamagotchi - God I wish the thing would just die :oops:

...just a few!

Edited by invent 10 things b4 breakfast

Oops! After reading the replies, forgot to mention my son's obsession with fighting moves! He imitates anything he see's on Power Rangers or any fighting moves for that matter! Thankfully for me, he does them AWAY from contact! LOL

Edited by Tylers-mum

Playstation/computer/gameboy (next one PSP)

golf

golf on the playstation/computer/gameboy (PSP)

Dance mat (summer time)

First non playstation/computer related 'thing' he ever got into was The Wacky Races cartoons, but this was as a direct result of playing Wacky Races on PS1... Real Golf, too, grew out of virtual golf.

Farts/bums/willies etc, but that's sort of expected of boys, isn't it!?

:D

Badadd,when you say PSP,do you mean you have one or are getting one?

Don't forget to check this SONY site out:

http://www.yourpsp.com/psp_brand/html/noflash.html

when PSP is in posession(so serial number can be obtained) as SONY will send a free copy of the film- Spiderman 2 on UMD format,looks exactly like the purchasable UMD version except this one has 'not for sale or rental' on it.

Register new accounts and with each one they will send out extra copies of it,there are loads of these going for sale on ebay,a guy on the games forum I administrate got 25 copies.

Haven't got more than one as I don't think it's right,but I cannot believe SONY have been so incompetent.

It looks great on the PSP,the actual size has been scaled down,and it looks perfect.

My sons first word was 'hoover'......... :rolleyes:

Main ones - as he's grown..

Hoovers

Thomas the Tank

Labels

Thomas the Tank

Books

Thomas the flippin' Tank

Absolutely anything that spins.. washing machines, spinning tops etc..

Sticks! (We had empty flower pots full of them!)

Finally grew out of Thomas (There is a God!)

We're now onto Xbox, Gameboy, computer, transformers... bionicles at a push :rolleyes: (He has PS2 with Eyetoy for Xmas, but, shhhhh, don't tell him!)

Talking about scooby doo, the cat in the hat film...or just about anything he's recently watched on TV.. (and, yes, that includes the weather :unsure: )

Louis's used to be Bob (from Bob the Builder). He had a teddy style Bob, which he wore out, but I keep in my wardrobe. Whenever he sees it, he always asks when am I going to make him some new clothes... :oops:

Steady Eddies - Eddie Stobart Trucks (He has got to spot at least 1 when we are on the motorway!) - for as long as I can remember

Anything construction related. - forever!

Thunderbirds. - Forever!

Television. Loud. While flicking through channels.

(He used to have a 'thing' for Harry Potter, but it didn't last very long)

stevens latest is eastenders,watches old videos constantly,does impressions of grant mitchell(not outside,thank god :lol::lol: )had loads of obsessions but this one lasted longest,oh no the one thats lasted longest is hating me! :wub:

in this order, from about the age of 3 (now 17):

umbrellas

car washes (we knew every c/w in a 50 mile radius - lasted 2-3 years)

celine dion

ps2

pc

any single female singer

collecting CD's (probably has over 1000 now)

laura brannigan (bad one this, lasted 9 months - just getting over it)

its been an interesting life so far

ray

blimey I forgot

fighting games on ps2 (eg tekken)

soap operas - alll of them

and definately thomas the tank when younger

ray

inorder

Thunderbirds

captain scarlet

star wars

yu-gi-oh cards

lego (still on this one)

and now harry potter!

I bought him the cd books read out loud and now he listens to them endlessly and is difficult to get out of his bedroom! He woke me up at about midnight to tell me he had thought of a way to bring Harry's parents back for the sixth book! For Xmas all he wants is harry potter lego :rolleyes:

amazing what you forget, and I forgot that Abba was another of his big obsessions, thankfully now faded. And that was another of the reasons he wanted to visit Sweden, as he thought there was a chance he would bump into Agnetha as we strolled round Stockholm, even though he knew she lived as a recluse. I also ought to mention that my continued impersonations of the swedish chef from the muppets may not have helped. And does anyone else out there have the urge to say 'pigs in space' in a deep voice at the most inappropriate moments. or is it just me?

and another one was pokemon cards, that was insane for about 6 months - would meltdown if couldn't buy at least one pack whenever we went out anywhere.

ray

My son's obsessions:

when he was a toddler: drawing eyes,

planets

all kinds of bugs

a soft toy

legos

up to the age of 8:

cats,

more bugs

dinosaurs

PC Science games

drawing these things

cartoons

more legos

up to now (12):

drawing buildings and war

pocket watches

war

History

PS and PC games about war and history

classic cars

Thomas The Tank Engine (not so much now though)

The color green

Army Men World War PC Game

Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets movie (slowly going off this, THANK GOODNESS!!)

Rudolph And The Island Of Misfit Toys

That's about all for now, which I think is quite enough. I'm trying to find a way to 'rotate' his obsessions so that I personally have a little more of a variety. Sounds mean, doesn't it? :)

Hi

Julian would spin wheels on things from an early age,

now it is:

Planes

Plane DVD's

Plane Books

Plane models (my hubby makes them)

Going to the Airport (we live ten minutes away from the local International Airport and are now known by name)

Jay Jay the Jet Plane

Tractor Tom

Thomas (but going off that slowly)

Doggie and Teddy (two stuffed animals he has had since he was born)

Daddy

Any thing on telly that has something to do with Planes

Playing planes with his little brother who sits there and copies him arghhhh!

That is about it really.

Caroline

Hey, Smileymab's son, you are getting a PS2 and Eyetoy for Christmas!

I too am into videogames - PS2,GameCube,DS and PSP.

I'm also into movies.

Oy!!! Shhhhhhhhhhhh!! :shame::lol:

It's a secret! But he's going to be chuffed to bits :dance::dance: we spent a veerrryyyy long time in a video game shop where one was set up. He had great fun (not so sure the other customers' thought so - it's very physical - legs and arms everywhere!! :thumbs: ).

I did worry when my brother (he's the one who's brought it) said he'd brought it. M already spends most of his time either infront of the computer, TV or Xbox. Parents have an inbuilt guilty setting which says 'your child must not spend forever infront of square boxex :hypno: '. But, i've come to realise, that's what he enjoys doing. He's physically active and does play with toys, but his main love is....well.....square boxes! :rolleyes:

Started about 15 months with blue, everything had to be blue, went through lots of blue colouring, then with triangles, everything which was triangles was good if it was a blue triangle even better. Still prefers blue where possible, and anything thats a triangle catches his eye but not as bad as it was.

Then at about 2 we went onto sealife & water, he'd always liked watching fish tanks but it became quite a bit more than that. Got him onto dinosaurs by buying a book which had dinosaurs of the sea in it.

At about 3 it was Bob the Builder or Thomas when it came to play things etc, but fish still top priority. Planes came into it a bit, then by 4 he just wasn't interested in anything on land if it didn't fly or go in the water. Thank god for seals and otters when we visited the zoo or he wouldn't have stayed.

Now he's 6, we have a massive collection of books on sealife and other fishy things. He can spot something with fish on a mile away.

He does love his Nintendo DS, but sealife is his world.

Edited by lil_me

Hello. I'm a lurker here....

Daughter saw the CAMHs team yesterday and they asked about obsessions.... what is the difference between and obsession and general interest??

I mean Daughter had a phase a while ago about tamagotchi's... I even had to take it to work to keep it alive... and heaven forbid if I didn't play with it and it got over weight she got really upset... this phase soon passed

Years ago when she was about 5 she had this thing about this cartoon character where she would dress up us her and do her hair like her, and when we went out she would always go on.. "can we go home now" every 5 mins... even when we were up the park....

Then there was Avril Lavine... the same thing

but there wasn't much inbetween that I can think off... to that extent anyway??

so do these sound like obsessions??

I think when you are a parent you can tell the difference between an interest and something a bit more. With my son I prefer not to call it an obsession, but tbh it probably is. It doesn't just mean a lot to him, his world revloves around it and he can't understand why noone else is interested in it as much as he is. The same when we had the blue phase, everything had to be blue, he wasn't interested in anything that wasn't blue.

Deb, My sons interests have been his be all and end all. Its only now that he's older that he can be swayed a little bit but even then not much & not often.

the trains thing is still there and has been since forever. For the first 9 years he wouldnt do anything but trains!

When he was 2 yrs old we went to a birthday party & he stayed upstairs playing trains while everyone else played downstairs & won prizes etc. If there werent any trains to play with he would play trains with something else aka remote controls!!

As he got older he would read book after book on trains, how they are made...the colours (or livery's as he corrected me so politely :lol: ) he would insist on sitting on a train platform waiting for hours & hours no matter what the weather!!

He still loves his trains now although he tries to deny it, he's asked for a railway simulator for the computer for christmas bless him!

we dont have to sit on the platform any more thank goodness, but it can get embarrassing when hes talking about some crazy weapons i never heard of and some guy walking past obviously has & gives us a really odd look as if to say "how does that child know about that??"

anywayyyyyy as said before i think you would know if it was over that invisible line from interest to obsession :)

Edited by minerva

Hi

My son loves socks - especially ones with writing on the soles! He also likes fountains, water, cranes, golf, my new washing machine and Rosemary Conley fitness dvd....................................

New obbession alert Char has now started to squiral stuff.Found objects in the pillowcase and also descovered he has been smuggling stuff to school in his fleece pocket Hmmmmmmm!!

Found he had a teenage turtle and a watch and a packet of cards at school today which he brought in last week :wacko:

Also found my daughters silver braclet in his pillowcase among some other stuff it deff' wasn't there on friday cause I change the beds on a friday.Watch out what will I find in there tom" :lol::lol::o

Lisa

Lights - switching on and off when v young and then water and cleaning the bath - but not himself!

Handles and locks- at age 10 is v able at picking locks! Annoying when your in the toilet! Also we had to take handles off the doors as incessantly played with them from the minute could reach and at 10 will still spend hours examining one.

Batteries- taken out of everything. I buy cheap packs from the �1 shop as they rarely have chance to get used up. Can be a pain when trying to change channel

Setting up his computer and changing the settings

Anything robotic

Screwdrivers and taking things apart- has some uses fixed my cupbaord door the other day - but can be dangerous as took apart the electricity meter when we were in the kitchen one day!

indias obssessions are her dvd's- especially mary poppins!

me! her dad smells(he doesnt lol)but its a great excuse for getting me to do everything for her.

the pc,she can do stuff on it alot of adults cant and shes only 3.

opening and shutting doors(no-one else is allowed to do that god forbid)

others which i dont know about being obssessions but definatley rituals are

saying goodbye to people-have to kiss,then hug,then shake hands,then rub your fingers together,it has to be done exactly the way she wants or all hell breaks loose,even if you think the first time you did it was the same as the other 52 times!